Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell phones and internet -- hurting human relationships?

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I met Agap and Spikerman. Both are cool dudes although i think Spiker might still be pissed at me about the criticism of the officiating the other day. Lol
    AGap is an outstanding human being.

2. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Life experience has a big impact on how we feel about this.

I spend the majority of my day communicating with people electronically. I find email, text, and phone calls to all be beneficial depending on the situation. I use them all extensively, and find them to make my job easier.

The downside is a lack of privacy. I am responsible for 30 home repair jobs at the moment. I have to demonstrate empathy for these people while trying to maintain boundaries with them.

The truth is my friends we do jobs for can be challenging. They are fairly uninhibited about texting me questions and concerns in the evenings and on the weekends, and I understand. They trust me because I’m their friend.

There are also other customers who are simply demanding and need me to give them boundaries. If it’s urgent I’ll return the call or text message, but if it’s simply a scheduling question and I feel I need to establish boundaries I’ll tell them I need to respond to them during normal business hours.

In a nutshell, my job does not allow for me to unplug at 5pm like some people might be able to. I have an average of at least 30 phone calls a day, in addition to as many or more text messages and emails. I need some privacy, which is one reason I am not going to allow a chip to be inserted in my body. It disappoints me Dave thinks I’m a backwards imbecile because I feel this way, but I am not likely to change how I feel about it.
    I received an email and a text message this evening between 8:30-9pm. One was from our production manager, and the other was from a customer. I would feel extremely violated if that communication was being transmitted into my body on a Saturday evening.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Lol, you are putting way to much emphasis on a comment about technology that is decades away.

And even if we did have it, there would likely be a computer interface where you can alter the settings to allow you privacy or for when you get on a plane

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Lol, you are putting way to much emphasis on a comment about technology that is decades away.

And even if we did have it, there would likely be a computer interface where you can alter the settings to allow you privacy or for when you get on a plane
    Am I putting too much emphasis on it, or am I lamenting the demands of my job? I don’t know for sure..

6. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Calm Down, Parents: A Rigorous New Oxford Study of 350,000 Teens Shows Screen Time Is About as Dangerous as Potatoes
    https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...udy-finds.html

According to the fascinating writeup by Lydia Denworth in Scientific American, the new, more careful analysis shows that, no matter which measure you look at, screens have close to no effect on kids' psychological health. Are phones making kids more depressed? No. More suicidal? More selfish? More isolated? The answer is no, no, and no again.

Denworth brings home the point of how little effect screen time appears to have on measures of psychological well-being with a pair of memorable comparisons: "Technology use tilts the needle less than half a percent away from feeling emotionally sound. For context, eating potatoes is associated with nearly the same degree of effect and wearing glasses has a more negative impact on adolescent mental health."

Which doesn't mean you should just hand your kid an iPad and put your feet up. This study shows that, at the broad population level, screens aren't really impacting kids' mental health. That doesn't mean that one individual teenager might not have a problem with obsessive screen use. You don't want your kid to be one of those problematic individuals.

Bottom line: Parents should pay attention to their particular child and set sensible limits based on their particular personality and habits, but there's no scientifically valid reason to lose sleep over screens. If you're not terrified of potatoes, you shouldn't be too worried about your kid's phone either.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

That’s not funny Abe. A potato killed my grandfather.

10. The Following 10 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think the authors captured my greatest concern with their 'rigorous' conclusion:

For the sake of simplicity and comparison, simple linear regressions were used in this study, overlooking the fact that the relationship of interest is probably more complex, non-linear or hierarchical13. Many measures used were also of low quality, non-normal, heterogenous or outdated, limiting the generalizability of the study’s inferences. As self-report digital technology measures are known to be noisy30, this could also have led to the effects of technology on well-being being diminished due to low-quality measurement. Lastly, we used null hypothesis significance testing to interpret significance, which is problematic when using such exten-sive data. To improve partnerships between research councils and behavioural scientists, the implementation of better measurement, and pre-registering of analyses plans, will be crucial.
    This is what I take from their effort. They took three surveys and scrubbed them using SCA, which I am going to assume is mathematically sound. But they admit that those underlying studies that they used are shit.

There are at least three reasons why the inferences drawn by behavioural scientists from large-scale datasets might produce divergent findings. First, these datasets are mostly collected in collaboration with multidisciplinary research councils and are characterized by a battery of items meant to be completed by postal survey, face-to-face or telephone interview6–8. Though research councils engage in public consultations15, the pre-tested or validated scales common in clinical, social or personality psy-chology are often abbreviated or altered to reduce participant burden16,17. Scientists wishing to make inferences about the effects of digital technology using these data need to make numerous decisions about how to analyse, combine and interpret the mea-sures. Taking advantage of these valuable datasets is therefore fraught with many subjective analytical decisions, which can lead to high numbers of researcher degrees of freedom18. With nearly all decisions taken after the data are known, these are not appar-ent to those reading the published paper highlighting only the final analytical pathway
    So not to put cold water on what I think is a significant takeaway -- screen use has a negative impact on well-being, but it might be overblown, and it's not as significant as bullying, wearing glasses, asthma, and binge-drinking. But at best it's a solid bit of evidence to say 'pump your brakes, you anti-technology goobs.'

It's a hard thing to measure, but an effort like this is laudable. What we don't get to any answer about:

1. How much screen time (frequency, duration)?
    2. What is the nature of the screen time (there is a difference between being bullied on social media and watching a continuing education video)?
    3. How do we quantify well-being?
    4. How do we define measures of well-being?
    5. Is the strongest relationship between the social aspects of technology, or the technology itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I wish they actually answered the question they raised: what is the measured physiological impact of prolonged exposure to modern light sources (aka screens) as encountered in typical modern life?

A lot of guesswork and speculation is what I read, I was hoping for clear findings.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

So, everybody that ever lived died of something.

Oh noooooeeeeessssss
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    So, everybody that ever lived died of something.

Oh noooooeeeeessssss
    The jury is still out on the latest batch. But the data so far backs you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

At this point it's moot - both of these things are here to stay. Just invest in a support system for the populaces, keep researching how to help people, and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

At this point it's moot - both of these things are here to stay. Just invest in a support system for the populaces, keep researching how to help people, and move on.

Cell phones and internet are the worst thing to happen to society since soap operas.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

While the issue of their place in society has been settled, the issue of any particular person's proper use of them has not been settled. For example, I'm struggling with how to prepare my 10 year old for lifelong happiness among devices and social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    While the issue of their place in society has been settled, the issue of any particular person's proper use of them has not been settled. For example, I'm struggling with how to prepare my 10 year old for lifelong happiness among devices and social media.
    I don’t understand if my post is incongruent with this one, but I’m also tired and hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information