Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell phones and internet -- hurting human relationships?

As we know I am the most tech savvy person there is. I do not have any problem with any of this. I do not see technology doing anything with regards to human interaction aside from two things:

1. A major lack of professionalism. It astounds me. The people these days that are younger than I, even same age, have absolutely no clue when and how to put their filter on. Just incredible. Maybe it has to do with the trend of trying to be a savage or pretend like things do not really matter, I do not know. But they suck at it.

2. Degradation of the English language. People speak with slang, even professionally. They also seem only able to regurgitate what they read/see on social media. I made a thread about this (maybe it was Facebook) about the rampant viral spreading of the phrase "I mean". EVERYONE says that now. Last year it was "You know". The year before that was the word "Craft" ( I did make a thread on that)........but holy shit "I mean"...Come on. I see it here too, a lot by our resident Linguist too. Are you not smart enough to start a sentence with what you intend to talk about? Or should we interpret that everything you had said previously was not what you meant?

It is becoming a rapid way for people to brainwash themselves. Count how many times someone says I mean. Listen for it. You will see. It always comes at the start of a sentence or when they pause mid sentence. It is the new "um" or "uh".....Social media spawns this. However, this has no effect on human interaction as far as I can tell. People are still people and they are becoming easier to read. Less poker faces about these days.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

This is like... I mean... ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I had an epiphany a few years back. It still bugs me. I went out to run some errands; Gas, the bank, Home Depot, and a few groceries. I used the drive up ATM, self service gas, and self checkout at both Home Depot and the grocery store. It occurred to me I had accomplished all of my objectives without interacting with a single human being. All I could think of is that in the long run this ain't good. Now I got rid of my cell phone - don't have one at all - and won't use self checkout. I also try to avoid mail order if I can. Jeff Bezos already has plenty of $, and I'd rather keep somebody local employed, even if by a Big Box store. of course, when I get service from some dim bulb who can't answer the simplest questions (I'm looking at you, Best Buy) then I question that thinking.

We absolutely need human interaction. Plus, look at the douchey things we are willing to say on the Internet that I'd bet most of us wouldn't dream of saying to a nearby human being.
    I look at it the other way. By going to the bank ATM you avoided the teller who has been instructed by her management to sell you savings accounts and CD's. By going to the Home Depot self check out you avoided the clerk trying to sell you the Home Deport credit card and asking for your phone number. By going to the grocery self checkout you avoided getting behind the customer who is instructing the clerk to locate Pall Mall 100's in red for which the clerk can't locate for the life of her.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Home Deport. LMAO.

6. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

There are good and bad things about it but it's mostly a good thing.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Another thing that concerns me is the inability of some to conduct anxiety-free in-person exchanges. But maybe that's just a case of a shy person, no different than before. Do you all see this more these days?
    I have had to force my teen to learn to make actual phone calls. I've watched her friends go into a near panic at the thought. Seriously. They communicate via text
    I hate calling people on an actual phone. I don't know what it is. I can go up to a person face to face and be fine, but something about talking on the phone gives me major anxiety. Must be a millennial problem.

9. The Following 6 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I hate calling people on an actual phone. I don't know what it is. I can go up to a person face to face and be fine, but something about talking on the phone gives me major anxiety. Must be a millennial problem.
    Same. I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone when I call them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Same. I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone when I call them.
    Dude... it was 3am and you were drunk as hell...

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I agree. In my work life I make people call me if they need me to answer a question, and its especially a problem with younger people. If they send me an email I will email them back and tell them to pick up a phone. The reason is simple; a lot of times I could easily answer their question, but unless I am talking through the problem I don't know if they are actually asking the right question for solving the problem. Hell, I may not even be the guy they should be talking to. If they aren't asking the right question my answer was useless, at best, and maybe worse than that, because they think they solved the problem. That stuff kinda has to be talked through or it wastes enormous amounts of time.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

I agree. In my work life I make people call me if they need me to answer a question, and its especially a problem with younger people. If they send me an email I will email them back and tell them to pick up a phone. The reason is simple; a lot of times I could easily answer their question, but unless I am talking through the problem I don't know if they are actually asking the right question for solving the problem. Hell, I may not even be the guy they should be talking to. If they aren't asking the right question my answer was useless, at best, and maybe worse than that, because they think they solved the problem. That stuff kinda has to be talked through or it wastes enormous amounts of time.
    In the two years I spent at an appellate law office, you never called unless it was urgent. Do you think professions might have a certain impact on your analysis? Granted, for us, we'd get our assignments and email the attorneys the work product. The 'real' deadline that they needed the work by was always a few days after when the one we were to go by was set. So, that might have something to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I think I am in a similar work position as you, but I actually prefer email, so that I have a record that it's not the first time the question has been asked and answered.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Unless someone doesn't know how to express clear thoughts through words, I'm not sure what type of message could only be conveyed through talking as opposed to email.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I think I am in a similar work position as you, but I actually prefer email, so that I have a record that it's not the first time the question has been asked and answered.
    Bingo. I'd way rather have a paper trail that I can reference later if needed when I have a question about something job-related.

20. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    This seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Unless someone doesn't know how to express clear thoughts through words, I'm not sure what type of message could only be conveyed through talking as opposed to email.
    A complex one. If somebody asks me a question about the details of the State Building Code, for example, but it turns out from discussing the issue that it really is something else entirely then unless you talk it through you are unlikely to resolve things successfully. In the case of the NYS Building Code, for example, if they also don't know that there is no state enforcement of the Code then they also don't know that even if the Code Enforcement Officer is entirely wrong in his interpretation of the Code that his word is final anyways...unless a complainant files an Article 78 proceeding, which is a PITA and usually a waste of time and money. The Code Enforcement Officer works for the Town government, so the proper person to complain to is the town supervisor. So for me to provide the technical details of the Code is useless. I have those answers, they just won't do any real good. I also know informal ways to sometimes get the town government into squaring away a screw up, but if I don't talk to someone I can't help.

If you ask the wrong question it is irrelevant how well written the question was.

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    A paper trail is not always a good thing. Just sayin'

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information