Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell phones and internet -- hurting human relationships?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I had an epiphany a few years back. It still bugs me. I went out to run some errands; Gas, the bank, Home Depot, and a few groceries. I used the drive up ATM, self service gas, and self checkout at both Home Depot and the grocery store. It occurred to me I had accomplished all of my objectives without interacting with a single human being. All I could think of is that in the long run this ain't good. Now I got rid of my cell phone - don't have one at all - and won't use self checkout. I also try to avoid mail order if I can. Jeff Bezos already has plenty of $, and I'd rather keep somebody local employed, even if by a Big Box store. of course, when I get service from some dim bulb who can't answer the simplest questions (I'm looking at you, Best Buy) then I question that thinking.

We absolutely need human interaction. Plus, look at the douchey things we are willing to say on the Internet that I'd bet most of us wouldn't dream of saying to a nearby human being.
    I agree with the sentiment, but I'm ok separating human interaction when doing chores from actual, desired human interaction.

Give me clicklist, amazon, etc all day long. I don't need forced socio-economic human interaction.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I had an epiphany a few years back. It still bugs me. I went out to run some errands; Gas, the bank, Home Depot, and a few groceries. I used the drive up ATM, self service gas, and self checkout at both Home Depot and the grocery store. It occurred to me I had accomplished all of my objectives without interacting with a single human being. All I could think of is that in the long run this ain't good. Now I got rid of my cell phone - don't have one at all - and won't use self checkout. I also try to avoid mail order if I can. Jeff Bezos already has plenty of $, and I'd rather keep somebody local employed, even if by a Big Box store. of course, when I get service from some dim bulb who can't answer the simplest questions (I'm looking at you, Best Buy) then I question that thinking.

We absolutely need human interaction. Plus, look at the douchey things we are willing to say on the Internet that I'd bet most of us wouldn't dream of saying to a nearby human being.
    I get that to an extent, but my view is that not having to go to the bank, post-office, etc. frees up time to be with the people I WANT to spend time with. I am constantly interacting with my neighbors and my family time is full of great conversation. I love phones because I can text my wife stupid pictures during boring meetings, or call my sister in Canada with a video call so she can see my son. Like alcohol, I think there is a big difference between phone use and phone abuse however. Social media addiction, playing freemium phone games and actually paying for additions to "level up", etc prey on people but that will happen regardless of medium.

All in all it all comes down to the person and whether or not they use technology or it uses them. There has to be a happy medium. Plus I think of this forum as no more than a long form text with people who share a common interest and I love the conversation. And I agree social interaction is important, but sometimes having time to yourself is more importaner.

People CRAVE information and to be left the hell alone sometimes:

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I agree with the sentiment, but I'm ok separating human interaction when doing chores from actual, desired human interaction.

Give me clicklist, amazon, etc all day long. I don't need forced socio-economic human interaction.
    "This job would be great if it wasn't for the customers"

-Randall from Clerks

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Just to add, not having a cell phone has been great for dealing with a teenage girl, by forcing her to plan ahead and be punctual. "Sure, I'll take you to the mall. When do I pick you up, and where?" And she has to stick with it; there is no "I'll text you when I'm ready" like she inflicts on my wife
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Just to add, not having a cell phone has been great for dealing with a teenage girl, by forcing her to plan ahead and be punctual. "Sure, I'll take you to the mall. When do I pick you up, and where?" And she has to stick with it; there is no "I'll text you when I'm ready" like she inflicts on my wife
    By contrast, I use my phone specifically to deal with teenage girls.

Was that over the line?

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

By contrast, I use my phone specifically to deal with teenage girls. Was that over the line?
    Yes, but don't apologize

12. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

By contrast, I use my phone specifically to deal with teenage girls.

Was that over the line?
    Former NY Congressman Weiner agrees with you

New York (CNN)Former Rep. Anthony Weiner was sentenced Monday to 21 months in federal prison for sexting with a minor.
    In addition to the prison term, Weiner also was sentenced to three years of supervised release.
    Judge Denise Cote of the Southern District of New York stated that Weiner's sentence carried more importance because of his previous political career.

"Because of the defendant's notoriety, there is intense interest in the defendant's plea and sentence," Cote said in court. "It could make a difference in lives and is a very significant part of this sentence."
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politi...ing/index.html

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

14. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Former NY Congressman Weiner agrees with you

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/politi...ing/index.html

See? Another example of how intimate the cellphone can make relationships.

16. The Following 5 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I'm actually in Dave's camp on this one.

We are a competitive species, driven by resource scarcity and numbers. Our behavior reflects this drive, this universal imperative. In this case, it's an instantaneity of communication that is causing a social evolution.

It reminds me of how fungus just 'know' how to arrange themselves for optimal feeding and nutrient transport...there is no central nervous system, no command center for the organism, but once a vein of food is found, the entire organism restructures itself in light of the new environment.

The human is doing the same with the communication tools it now has, and rather than making us weaker, it is making us stronger. If we--human society--are similar to a brain or other network, how can we not be better by having shorter, faster connections, and more of them?

The problem that comes in is the reality shift. While the "enhanced network" aspect might be a good thing, there is an increasing tendency to view the text, the screen, and so forth, as reality. But it's just pictures and words, and it's often crafted as cunning as a lie. But the more we live in the world of the text and image, the more we consider that our reality.

Another thing that concerns me is the inability of some to conduct anxiety-free in-person exchanges. But maybe that's just a case of a shy person, no different than before. Do you all see this more these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

Another thing that concerns me is the inability of some to conduct anxiety-free in-person exchanges. But maybe that's just a case of a shy person, no different than before. Do you all see this more these days?
    I have had to force my teen to learn to make actual phone calls. I've watched her friends go into a near panic at the thought. Seriously. They communicate via text

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I have had to force my teen to learn to make actual phone calls. I've watched her friends go into a near panic at the thought. Seriously. They communicate via text
    Yeah, this anxiety trigger of direct contact, I'm wondering if that's actually a thing.

You get to edit and confirm your texts...
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

22. The Following 7 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Yep. Agreed. The ability to edit-before-send has taken away the ability of some to have natural, real time interactions.

I personally also find that I communicate by typing much more efficiently than speaking... the ideas seem to flow better when my hands are on my keyboard... and that definitely didn't used to be the case.

Also... I think the dude on the throne was supposed to be zuckerberg?

24. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Also... I think the dude on the throne was supposed to be zuckerberg?
    Yeah. That song is dope af.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah. That song is dope af.
    Hot chicks reveling in bloodspurt. What's not to love?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information