Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diving head first now the same as feet first.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Diving head first now the same as feet first.

I think im starting to get like Chazoe with the NFL. Im just starting to lose interest with all these rule changes which just takes away from the game for me. Its like they dont want any kind of defense on the field anymore....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-first-slides/

It’s easy to see how big a change that will be: In the past, if a quarterback ran the ball on third-and-5, he’d usually slide feet first once he picked up the five yards, but he’d dive head-first and try to pick up the last yard if he was met by an opposing defender after gaining four yards. Now, there’s no distinction between feet first and head first.

Officials say that’s a major change.

It’s a big change this year,” line judge Rusty Baynes told ESPN. “Because if you were a runner or a quarterback and you dove head first you could, if you were untouched, get all of that slide. If you went head first. Now, you cannot. It’ll be interesting to see what happens at the goal line.”

Interesting indeed: Imagine it’s fourth-and-goal in the final seconds of the game, a quarterback whose team trails by five points drops back to pass, then sees an opening in the middle of the field, runs toward the end zone, and just as a linebacker approaches at the 1-yard line the quarterback dives head-first into the end zone. That won’t be a game-winning touchdown anymore. It will be the quarterback giving himself up at the 1-yard line. The first time that happens, there’s going to be outrage from players, coaches and fans of the losing team.

This change hasn’t received much attention because it’s technically a “point of emphasis” and not a “rule change.” But whatever you call it, it’s a major difference in the way the game of football is played. And a whole lot of people won’t be happy about it.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Imagine had they had this rule in place when John did his famous helicopter dive for that first down.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

I'd have no issue with this if they opened QB's up to hits elsewhere. Back in the day, for me that was the 90's, Qb's were thought of as tough because they took a beating. I get it's a QB driven league, and injuries to the position are massively consequential, but give me a ******* break. There has to be give and take. At this point it feels like they need to remove an offensive player and make it eleven on ten just to make it fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I don't understand how they will possibly enforce this. I'm confused.

So, presumably, if a QB dives head-first the play is whistled dead at the point where they begin the "slide/dive". However, if they are subsequently hit by a defender I presume that will incur a 15 yard penalty.

It's a ridiculous and unenforceable standard imo. This one wasn't thought through at all.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

:headscratch:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I don't understand how they will possibly enforce this. I'm confused.

So, presumably, if a QB dives head-first the play is whistled dead at the point where they begin the "slide/dive". However, if they are subsequently hit by a defender I presume that will incur a 15 yard penalty.

It's a ridiculous and unenforceable standard imo. This one wasn't thought through at all.
    I'd love to see Spike's opinion of this new rule.

Sweet, more stuff that will be reviewed and extend these games even more.

To many commercials, to much politics and far to many reviews.

Its almost as though the are tired of the league and instead of just one to the head, they are going death by body shot....

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I've been mulling this over in my head for the past few days.

I'm wondering if their idea is to, in practice, eliminate a forward dive by QB's. I.E., instruct all QB's that they won't get credit for forward progress if they dive head-first, ergo it is a bad strategy to do so. Don't do it, because it won't work.

From that perspective I think it makes sense, and if framed properly could encourage QB's to be more proactive about sliding feet-first (giving themselves up).

13. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I've been mulling this over in my head for the past few days.

I'm wondering if their idea is to, in practice, eliminate a forward dive by QB's. I.E., instruct all QB's that they won't get credit for forward progress if they dive head-first, ergo it is a bad strategy to do so. Don't do it, because it won't work.

From that perspective I think it makes sense, and if framed properly could encourage QB's to be more proactive about sliding feet-first (giving themselves up).
    The problem I see is in the example in North's original post/article. Doesn't just apply to goal-line either. What about getting that crucial first down?

It's a strange rule, and I don't know what to think ATM.

How will they account for Brady's QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and inches? He's technically diving, right?

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    The problem I see is in the example in North's original post/article. Doesn't just apply to goal-line either. What about getting that crucial first down?

It's a strange rule, and I don't know what to think ATM.

How will they account for Brady's QB sneak on 3rd or 4th and inches? He's technically diving, right?
    This could potentially make for some of the greatest NFL theater of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

This could potentially be the dumbest thing the rules committee has ever done. If a player, quarterback or not, leads with his head because he’s going all out he should be treated like any other runner.

End of Story.

18. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

This is awful.

Football will be fine. The NFL may not be.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    This could potentially be the dumbest thing the rules committee has ever done. If a player, quarterback or not, leads with his head because he’s going all out he should be treated like any other runner.

End of Story.
    The other stupid rule of leading with the crown of the helmet affects both offense and defense. I guess a RB can't put his head down anymore to try and gain the extra couple of yards, even if there is no head-to-head contact. Helmet to the chest is now a penalty, supposedly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

WTF is Spike? I need his interpretation & opinion of these new rules.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    WTF is Spike? I need his interpretation & opinion of these new rules.
    Good point brother.

I was thinking. We should have a pro for every area of life here.

23. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information