Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hernandez update

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Lol, I know that, but I am curious as to nomads original point that I refuted from the perspective of the NFL and litigation, but then slim provided me with an interesting statistic that made me think my opinion, do i was wondering if the NFL clears all college players prior to the draft.... How many future claims would come after the average short career in comparison to a full making length career

I know head trauma is bad news
    Like I said, I don't know how that would work. I'm sure the players union would give a big negative on this, because then a good majority of the players would probably be playing in the NFL on waivers that the NFL will not be responsible for future head injuries. If something like this would occur (waivers), I'm sure the salaries would increase substantially because of compensation of no liability.

2. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

It's an interesting discussion

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Athletic freaks who bash their heads into each other are now surprised that it causes damage? Give me a break. It's like smoking, I'm sorry but if you didn't realize that inhaling smoke all day or bashing your head against hard objects was bad for you you're too stupid to live anyway.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

It's an interesting discussion
    Well, it was until you showed up...

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I could see the NFL having all these guys tested for CTE before getting drafted. Not sure how it would work, but if that's the case, then universities would get sued. And the university would have the high school player tested before entering.
    It's currently impossible to test for CTE in someone who is still alive. That's why you never hear about these players having CTE until after they are dead and their brains are cut open.

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Athletic freaks who bash their heads into each other are now surprised that it causes damage? Give me a break. It's like smoking, I'm sorry but if you didn't realize that inhaling smoke all day or bashing your head against hard objects was bad for you you're too stupid to live anyway.
    You're completely missing the point here. GEM actually made a great analogy that I hadn't thought of to explain why your argument is bad. Someone who has a dangerous job (like in her example, working on power lines) knows going in that their job is dangerous, but the employer still has the responsibility to keep the employee as safe as possible.

Same with the NFL. Just because players know the risks doesn't completely absolve the NFL from being obligated to try to keep their employees as safe as possible. And if it's found the NFL has been negligent in that regard, then yes, players do deserve to sue them and win. Just as if any other employer were being negligent in looking after the safety of their employees.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    You're completely missing the point here. GEM actually made a great analogy that I hadn't thought of to explain why your argument is bad. Someone who has a dangerous job (like in her example, working on power lines) knows going in that their job is dangerous, but the employer still has the responsibility to keep the employee as safe as possible.

Same with the NFL. Just because players know the risks doesn't completely absolve the NFL from being obligated to try to keep their employees as safe as possible. And if it's found the NFL has been negligent in that regard, then yes, players do deserve to sue them and win. Just as if any other employer were being negligent in looking after the safety of their employees.
    Oh please. They've made huge leaps in equipment specifically designed to help players safety as much as possible. Helmets, shoulder pads, thigh pads, knee guards, etc. It's not like they've ignored it.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Because University of Miami doesn't have the billions the NFL/Pats do.

They wouldn't be rewarded for the crimes he committed, they would be rewarded for the damage he received playing the game of football. He had the brain of a 67 year old man, decisively caused by playing the game of football. To which, many other football players have also sued due to the leagues slow move to better protect its players. You have to separate the crime from the lawsuit, as they have nothing to do with each other. It's an emotional drive that connects the two, but just because he committed horrendous crimes doesn't mean he didn't receive the injuries he did.

I hate the guy, I think he was a thug pos, but a study of his brain showed serious damage. There are 2 distinctly different issues here, of which they don't overlap.
    Doesnt look like its going to matter anyway.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...y-cte-lawsuit/

The lawsuit could face one major league hurdle: Hernandez was not listed among the players who opted out of a concussion settlement with the league.

Players whose careers concluded before July 2014 "gave up the right to sue the NFL Parties" unless they opted out, according to the settlement. Hernandez's last NFL game was in January 2013 before he was arrested -- and ultimately convicted -- for the murder of former semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.

"By not opting out, his daughter is now bound by the terms of the settlement," David S. Weinstein, a former assistant U.S. attorney and current partner at the firm Hinshaw & Culbertson, told USA TODAY Sports. "The NFL and Patriots have an easy road to dismissal."

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    CTE doesn't start the day you enter the NFL, it starts in peewee football.
    Thats basically my point and why this seems more like a "money grab" more than anything else.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I should have prefaced to say....I think it's all a bunch of mularkey because players make a choice to play football. But just like an electric lineman chooses to work on poles with high voltage electricity, there is some level of responsibility of his employer for his safety. If he gets injured, he most likely will have his injuries covered. The problem is that the NFL ignored it for so long that they built this against themselves.
    I dont think so to be honest. While CTE exists so do spinal injuries, broken arms/legs, etc. There hundreds of players who play football from a young age to the pro's and yet only a small percentage of those actually develop CTE. I go back to your first sentence here that the players know pretty well that by playing the sport they take a huge risk of getting any kind of injury. Thats part of the reason they get paid the millions of dollars they do that a electric lineman does not get.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

An NFL career is longer than college, they also hit harder, more players will get cte from the NFL.... No way the NFL clears the deck for all future cte claims to be proven to have happened during their time in the NFL
    Hernandez was actually in college longer than in the NFL.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Me passing thru this thread.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

You know Shane, i dont know how accurate it is but someone posted a comment about the initial article on Hernandez that someone who smokes to much chronic can develop CTE. Is that at all accurate or just someone talking jibberish? (serious question)

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

"update?"

what, did he die again or something?

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    "update?"

what, did he die again or something?
    Um no. Means updated news on the player you dope.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information