Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hernandez update

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    From the article:

Again, how do you explain the 1,000's of players that didn't show any signs of CTE?

PS: I'm not saying that it isn't a problem, just that there are thousands of players that played who have shown no signs of extensive brain trauma. It also, IMO and the opinion of Schlereth, has to do with an individuals way of life - both during and post football life.
    For the same reason one of my boys got 3 concussions playing football and the other got 0. My daughter got 1, my other had 0. It's dependent upon the number of hits to the brain that are considered brain injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Were I an attorney for the NFL I would definitely bring up the years he played football before the NFL, that the NFL was less than 25% of his football, etc. CTE doesn't start the day you enter the NFL, it starts in peewee football. I had my first concussion when I was 10 or 11. It wasn't from football, it was from getting hit by a car while riding my bike. I've had multiple concussions since then, from football, basketball, motorcycle crashes, "shit happens" on deployments, etc. Point being, how many of his concussions that CAUSED the CTE were the NFL's fault? Is the NFL responsible for people playing football through their entire lives? If so, can I sue the NFL for MTBI I received playing football?
    As I said, she's going after those with the biggest pockets. If she were smart, which I highly question cause look at who she was dating/married, she would have named everyone she could have. Now she just looks like a money grubber.

I wasn't aware you played for the NFL.

I should have prefaced to say....I think it's all a bunch of mularkey because players make a choice to play football. But just like an electric lineman chooses to work on poles with high voltage electricity, there is some level of responsibility of his employer for his safety. If he gets injured, he most likely will have his injuries covered. The problem is that the NFL ignored it for so long that they built this against themselves.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Schlereth had how many surgeries to correct football injuries? The problem with CTE is you don't see it, but it's like any other football injury. I'm sure Schlereth has scars from all his injuries and surgeries. A bit more difficult when you're dealing with brain injuries as they aren't visual.

Tony Dorsett was known to be a family man, what about Gerald Willhite?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    As I said, she's going after those with the biggest pockets. If she were smart, which I highly question cause look at who she was dating/married, she would have named everyone she could have. Now she just looks like a money grubber.

I wasn't aware you played for the NFL.
    I didn't, but that's my point. If the NFL is solely responsible for Aaron Hernandez' CTE then they are then open to lawsuit for anyone who has CTE that played football, whether they played for the NFL or not. At most the NFL is 25% responsible, and probably much less and he most likely had CTE before he ever joined the league.

8. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I didn't, but that's my point. If the NFL is solely responsible for Aaron Hernandez' CTE then they are then open to lawsuit for anyone who has CTE that played football, whether they played for the NFL or not. At most the NFL is 25% responsible, and probably much less and he most likely had CTE before he ever joined the league.
    I could see the NFL having all these guys tested for CTE before getting drafted. Not sure how it would work, but if that's the case, then universities would get sued. And the university would have the high school player tested before entering.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I could see the NFL having all these guys tested for CTE before getting drafted. Not sure how it would work, but if that's the case, then universities would get sued. And the university would have the high school player tested before entering.
    An NFL career is longer than college, they also hit harder, more players will get cte from the NFL.... No way the NFL clears the deck for all future cte claims to be proven to have happened during their time in the NFL

In Hernandez case, she's going solely after money. Which will back fire because there are so many others that could be held responsible. The NFL will bring up U of Miami, high school, drug use, etc. They aren't solely responsible but they do bear some brunt of it. In these newer cases, though, the players are aware. Back before the last 5-10 years, this wasn't even a thing that dr's were aware of. I think going forward, the courts will say that there is no way the player didn't know the risks involved, but right now it's a gray area.

Those actually responsible are themselves and their parents for playing and allowing to play. But we live in a world where there is always a lawsuit and the victims are always going to go after the pockets who are the deepest. It's the litigious world we live in.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    An NFL career is longer than college, they also hit harder, more players will get cte from the NFL.... No way the NFL clears the deck for all future cte claims to be proven to have happened during their time in the NFL
    The average NFL career is 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    The average NFL career is 3 years.
    I did not know that. Don't suppose you know of all the cte cases how many are from those with such short careers?

I did not know that. Don't suppose you know of all the cte cases how many are from those with such short careers?
    Young adults have been diagnosed who weren’t even old enough to have ever played in the NFL. Impact on the cranium is not good for developing brains.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

No. I have no idea.

I would guess the longer you play the more likely you are to have issues. But that is just a bad ass ******* guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

18. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

So based on this.... https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-cte-symptoms/ .....the NFL should carry the brunt of the responsibility. BS. CTE happens way before a lot of these players enter the NFL. Football is a risk in itself, and every player knows this whether HS, collegiate, or pro. The NFL just worsens it at a rapid rate because the players are bigger and stronger and harder hits.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Young adults have been diagnosed who weren’t even old enough to have ever played in the NFL. Impact on the cranium is not good for developing brains.
    Lol, I know that, but I am curious as to nomads original point that I refuted from the perspective of the NFL and litigation, but then slim provided me with an interesting statistic that made me think my opinion, do i was wondering if the NFL clears all college players prior to the draft.... How many future claims would come after the average short career in comparison to a full making length career

I know head trauma is bad news

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information