Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 3 (Bills week)

Default Practice / press conference notes - week 3 (Bills week)

We should have TV maps and press conferences later. For now, let's start with the enemy. The Bills were the number one rushing team in the league last year, not Dallas. Shady McCoy will be difficult to stop and the reason they racked up so many rushing yards was that Tyrod Taylor runs a lot. That's often a problem for us. McCoy was doing pressers before and he said this:

Nick Kosmider‏Verified account @NickKosmider 14m14 minutes ago

LeSean McCoy on his 12 carries for 9 yards last week: "I just didn't play well. I look forward to correcting that this week."

Nick Kosmider‏Verified account @NickKosmider 12m12 minutes ago

McCoy on @VonMiller : "He's one of those players that comes around every decade or so."

Nick Kosmider‏Verified account @NickKosmider 11m11 minutes ago

McCoy said the key for Bills run game is to stick with it. Said the Cowboys went away from identity after getting stuffed early.

------------------------

That last one is key - they will run the ball at us over and over again. Another big test for our revamped line.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post

McCoy said the key for Bills run game is to stick with it. Said the Cowboys went away from identity after getting stuffed early.

------------------------

That last one is key - they will run the ball at us over and over again. Another big test for our revamped line.
    I agree. Dallas kind of panicked and just quit running. The Bills will be at home, with their crowd behind them, and will keep pounding it at us.

Yep, Same game plan this week.

Shady is actually harder for us. We struggle with the shifty speed guys the most. I would not try to sack Taylor as much as I would have them play contain. W should be able to pick him off and sack him easily once we shut down their run. Shady in the pass game has me scared!! Thats the key imo to winning.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

I don't agree that dual threat QBs give us trouble. I mean sure, they get rushing yards, but Alex Smith, Luck and Newton haven't exactly had career days against us, despite many opportunities. The whole problem with those guys is that they can't be completely shutdown, because they're so hard to contain, but we've usually done a good job of limiting them, which is all anyone can really do. Cam had several nice runs in the SB: He still scored more points for us than for Carolina, and the two TDs off his strip-sacks were our whole victory margin.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I don't agree that dual threat QBs give us trouble. I mean sure, they get rushing yards, but Alex Smith, Luck and Newton haven't exactly had career days against us, despite many opportunities. The whole problem with those guys is that they can't be completely shutdown, because they're so hard to contain, but we've usually done a good job of limiting them, which is all anyone can really do. Cam had several nice runs in the SB: He still scored more points for us than for Carolina, and the two TDs off his strip-sacks were our whole victory margin.
    It helps if you actually watch the games, and not just the stat lines.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    It helps if you actually watch the games, and not just the stat lines.
    Yes, it does: That's how you can see ~100 QB rushing yards spread out over a whole game and half a dozen drives that all ended in punts aren't nearly as big a deal as a boxscore "their starting passer had 100 yds rushing!eleven" sounds. My memory's not perfect, but the only time I recall a recent QB destroying us on the ground was the 2014 divisional playoff Fox and Del Rio phoned in because they'd already applied for new jobs elsewhere.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yes, it does: That's how you can see ~100 QB rushing yards spread out over a whole game and half a dozen drives that all ended in punts aren't nearly as big a deal as a boxscore "their starting passer had 100 yds rushing!eleven" sounds. My memory's not perfect, but the only time I recall a recent QB destroying us on the ground was the 2014 divisional playoff Fox and Del Rio phoned in because they'd already applied for new jobs elsewhere.
    It's the threat, Joel. Not the actual yardage/stats. It changes how our defense reacts.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

TV maps are up. Given that this is an early start, I figured the coverage would be split all over the place. Glad I have other ways of watching the games, because over the air, I would get the Jets/Dolphins game and later the very unappealing Bengals/Packers.

Anyway, our broadcast team is Spero Dedes and Adam Archuleta, which is a random CBS team that I can't remember listening to before:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=3

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    It's the threat, Joel. Not the actual yardage/stats. It changes how our defense reacts.
    Ah, okay, that's a fair point. I've never really noticed their performance falling due to compensating for that threat though. I mainly seems to boil down to "He doesn't pass from the pocket, so we don't blitz" making it kind of a wash unless a guy's REALLY good at throwing on the run.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Alright alright alright! We get the game up here.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Cecil Lammey‏Verified account @CecilLammey 6m6 minutes ago

Looks like a day of rest for Jamaal Charles. #Broncos @1043TheFan

Cecil Lammey‏Verified account @CecilLammey 5m5 minutes ago

Aqib Talib getting a day of rest. #Broncos @1043TheFan

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 5m5 minutes ago

Bradley Roby (ankle) observing not practicing #9sportd

Cecil Lammey‏Verified account @CecilLammey 5m5 minutes ago

Devontae Booker participating in practice. #Broncos @1043TheFan

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 4m4 minutes ago

Bennie Fowler (concussion) attending practice. Not practicing though and no helmet on.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I'm going to this game.. woooot.

Broncos are 1-4 when I've seen them play at the Ralph...

Got a feeling it's a trap game.

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post

Hmm, not a great track record. Maybe you should stay home

18. The Following 11 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post

The conditions fit: It would be perfectly understandable (but not excusable) if Denver were looking past a soft Bills team to a critical home stand against a good Raiders team heading into our bye. The way I (and hopefully the team) look at it is 4-0 at the bye, with a 2-0 division record including the team to beat, would be a great place to be, but it all starts with taking care of business in our first road game this week: We can't be 4-0 at the bye if we're 2-1 hosting the Raiders.

That's because they don't trust Tyrod Taylor. They would really like to get rid of him, but have nothing better, and QBs don't grow on trees. Meanwhile, they especially don't trust him in a passing contest with Trevor Siemian, and they are seriously lacking weapons in the passing game, going up against a defense that has 4 picks and a 103 yard pick-6 in the last two games - against MUCH better offenses and QBs than Taylor.

They have no choice but to run the ball, and rely on their defense (which is far better than the defenses of either Dallas or the Chargers), to keep the game close. Then hopefully a special teams play + a turnover or something can lead to a score and they win 15-12 or something.

Stranger things have happened in the NFL but that is definitely not the way to bet. I'm picking the Broncos and giving 7 points in this game. So, more than a TD win for the good guys.

Right now, the line in Vegas is -3. Any takers?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information