Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Denver Broncos: Culture of Winning

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Denver Broncos: Culture of Winning

I just wanted to point out what a helluva football town Denver is.

I know, I know....we all know.

But after listening to Jake Plummer talk about Treviathan, it just makes me smile how people love the culture of the Denver Broncos. Plummer left on his own terms.....not too happily in most opinions. But the man is drawn, like so many others....to Denver.

Look at the players that come back here and seek to live here. Guys that have more years with other teams even. Coaches like McCoy....who says it was not even close on where to go in being an offensive coordinator after his time in San Diego.
    John Lynch. Demarcus. Stokely. Big Al. Peyton. Atwater. Terrell. Stink. Jake.....I can go on and on and on.

Other franchises have loyal players also....no doubt. But the fact remains: Denver is a football town and Denver is a family town. Two draws, along with fantastic people and environment that keep people coming to call it home.

I rent a 2 bedroom apartment for my daughter in Cherry Creek and she attends the Denver School of Nursing.....she just raves about the 'feel' of the town....the heritage....the history......the people. And even though shes an island girl from Hawaii, and will always love the beaches and the ocean, Denver is definitely soaking itself into her makeup. (of course.....it helps that she was raised a Broncos fan)

Denver is seems to be in a great place right now.......and thats why people are flocking there. (sorry locals)

Ya got it good.

GO B R O N C O S!!!
    IN PATON I TRUST.

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I went to Denver in 1997 (that's WHY they won the SB lol) to see the Broncos play and was one of the greatest 4 days of my life. Broncos Country baby
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

A great story about Denver is how, as a Franchise, us long time Fans and Followers of our beloved organization, they completely evolved from a reputation (as it was sort of earned) as losers and choke artists after 4 SB blowouts.

Now, almost twenty years after they won their first Lombardi Trophy, the Denver Broncos are an elite Team up their with other legendary dynasties who had their roll with a rich history.

Ill tell you i was so happy to see this team finally win, not once but TWICE. I was prepared to never see Denver win again because I didnt believe I could ever seem them be that good again. Enter Peyton Manning.

Look at them now.

"I love this organization." - Shannon Sharpe

We do too Shannon. We do too.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 09-19-2017 at 12:56 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but thought this might be a good threat to do it.

Was just thinking how many GREAT players we have on the team right now that aren't even in the top 4 rounds of the draft... just to name a few, maybe you guys could add some names in here on our current roster.. Shaq Barrett, Chris Harris, CJ Anderson, Matt Paradis, Brandon Marshall (LB) in a way feels like an undrafted guy simply because Jax didn't even want him and we developed him into a something great.

Could be just me, but it feels like we have an exceptional tendency of finding hidden gems, and developing players who are undrafted or drafted in the later rounds

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I <3 Jake.

I don't care who knows.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    A great story about Denver is how, as a Franchise, us long time Fans and Followers of our beloved organization, they completely evolved from a reputation (as it was sort of earned) as losers and choke artists after 4 SB blowouts.
    Yet I've been accused of being a "bandwagon fan" for hopping on board right after they blew a home playoff game and #1 seed against a two-year-old expansion team: "Oh, sure, EVERYONE suddenly became a Broncos fan when we went to the SB!" Except that 1) in January 1996 the Broncos were far from an obvious choice to win the SB a year later and 2) it's not like Denver had never been to a SB before—they'd just never been to one where they weren't outscored (at least) 2:1. Funny thing:

The Broncos STILL retain some reputation as chokers yet the Cheatriots are widely acclaimed the GoAT (despite never facing nor consistently beating a rival as strong as the Landry Dynasty that confronted the Steelers Dynasty, nor the Walsh Dynasty that confronted the second Cowboys Dynasty.) Yet here are their respective SB records:

Chokers: 3-5
    "GoAT:" 5-4.

So apparently the yawning gulf between Best of the Best and WORST of the Best is winning not quite 20% more of their championship games. And I guess we'll just conveniently ignore what happened to NE* against the '85 Bears and '96 Packers.

Throw out "championships" tainted by taping opponents' walkthroughs, deflating footballs and taping opponents' signals and the franchise record for most SB appearances is three-way tie between 3-5 Denver, 5-3 Dallas and 6-2 Pittsburgh, firmly placing us among the NFLs most elite company.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

10. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    Wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but thought this might be a good threat to do it.

Was just thinking how many GREAT players we have on the team right now that aren't even in the top 4 rounds of the draft... just to name a few, maybe you guys could add some names in here on our current roster.. Shaq Barrett, Chris Harris, CJ Anderson, Matt Paradis, Brandon Marshall (LB) in a way feels like an undrafted guy simply because Jax didn't even want him and we developed him into a something great.

Could be just me, but it feels like we have an exceptional tendency of finding hidden gems, and developing players who are undrafted or drafted in the later rounds
    Yeah, it's totally weird, I have to admit. Those guys you mentioned are great finds. But, then there's all these 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks that didn't work out: Paxton Lynch, Ty Sambrailo, Montee Ball, Michael Schofield, Brock Osweiler, Rahim Moore, Orlando Franklin, Nate Irving.

Now, some guys don't work out, so the odds are at least 1 or 2 of these players would have been busts, and that would not prove a bad drafting, but all of them?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I thought Brent and Deebo worked out just fine.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Yet I've been accused of being a "bandwagon fan" for hopping on board right after they blew a home playoff game and #1 seed against a two-year-old expansion team: "Oh, sure, EVERYONE suddenly became a Broncos fan when we went to the SB!" Except that 1) in January 1996 the Broncos were far from an obvious choice to win the SB a year later and 2) it's not like Denver had never been to a SB before—they'd just never been to one where they weren't outscored (at least) 2:1. Funny thing:
    I am a total bandwagon fan. Jumped on board in '78 during the Broncos Super Bowl run, and never jumped off. I'm still not happy about that January 1980 playoff loss to the Oilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I am a total bandwagon fan. Jumped on board in '78 during the Broncos Super Bowl run, and never jumped off. I'm still not happy about that January 1980 playoff loss to the Oilers.
    Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure the all-time playoff series heavily favors Denver, even if we go back to Houston winning the first two AFL Championships when Denver was lucky to win ANY games. If we're comparing THOSE fan cards: Luv Ya Blue through and through; I didn't leave the Oilers, they left ME. I can't believe I had to wait my entire life to see any Coach Phillips get a SB Ring.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure the all-time playoff series heavily favors Denver, even if we go back to Houston winning the first two AFL Championships when Denver was lucky to win ANY games. If we're comparing THOSE fan cards: Luv Ya Blue through and through; I didn't leave the Oilers, they left ME. I can't believe I had to wait my entire life to see any Coach Phillips get a SB Ring.
    I really don't remember the Luv Ya Blue days (I didn't start following the NFL until 1981 when I was 8), but the impression that I get of that era is that it was the first time the Oilers were popular (perhaps around the country as well as Houston). I know they won the first two AFL titles, but that league wasn't taken seriously at the time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Now, almost twenty years after they won their first Lombardi Trophy, the Denver Broncos are an elite Team up their with other legendary dynasties who had their roll with a rich history.

Ill tell you i was so happy to see this team finally win, not once but TWICE. I was prepared to never see Denver win again because I didnt believe I could ever seem them be that good again. Enter Peyton Manning.

Look at them now.

"I love this organization." - Shannon Sharpe

We do too Shannon. We do too.
    You apparently don't bleed orange.

I saw the first game the Broncos ever played on 9 September 1960. I then waited for
    14 years after that for a winning season. 14 years. I was a snot-nosed kid delivering
    the Rocky Mountain News when the Broncos were conceived, and a hard-driving
    insurance agent with a family when they finally won.

I wasn't alone. We had a bevy of hard-boiled fans who never gave up on them. Their
    winning culture, which began in 1973, has been our reward. The little bumps and
    bruises since were only to keep us humble in the interim.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    I really don't remember the Luv Ya Blue days (I didn't start following the NFL until 1981 when I was 8), but the impression that I get of that era is that it was the first time the Oilers were popular (perhaps around the country as well as Houston). I know they won the first two AFL titles, but that league wasn't taken seriously at the time.
    Well, we're evidently almost exactly the same age, but my recollections of that era as a native Houstonian match yours.

You also have to remember that was the peak of Landrys Cowboys dynasty (the 1978 Steelers singlehandedly prevented historys first and only All-Texas Super Bowl; what they did to Houston in two straight AFCCGs and the Cowboys in both their SB meetings is a huge part of why I hate them so much.) It's a measure of how good Bums Oilers were that anyone in the state, much less their hometown, even noticed them; getting The Tyler Rose straight out of UT helped immensely. Sadly, that teams only lasting legacy is that an AFCCG game in Pitt where EVERYONE but the refs knew they scored a TD prompted the NFL to accept replay review.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post

The Broncos STILL retain some reputation as chokers yet the Cheatriots are widely acclaimed the GoAT (despite never facing nor consistently beating a rival as strong as the Landry Dynasty that confronted the Steelers Dynasty, nor the Walsh Dynasty that confronted the second Cowboys Dynasty.) Yet here are their respective SB records:

Chokers: 3-5
    "GoAT:" 5-4.

So apparently the yawning gulf between Best of the Best and WORST of the Best is winning not quite 20% more of their championship games. And I guess we'll just conveniently ignore what happened to NE* against the '85 Bears and '96 Packers.

Throw out "championships" tainted by taping opponents' walkthroughs, deflating footballs and taping opponents' signals and the franchise record for most SB appearances is three-way tie between 3-5 Denver, 5-3 Dallas and 6-2 Pittsburgh, firmly placing us among the NFLs most elite company.
    The thing is with the Pats is the level of dominance now for 15+ yrs. No team has ever had such a string, maybe the Canadiens and Yankees... other dynasties.

As far as the Broncos from 96, Denver was set to have a good year. Mike Shanahan brought in premium talent like Alfred Williams and Bill Romonowski. Romo was a huge addition that gave the Defense a much needed anchor and teeth at LB after watching some of the worst Defense I've ever seen (94). Romo and John Mobley would go on to become a great LB duo through the years.

Ill never forget Anthony Miller's waltzing into the end zone backwards as they crushed the NYJ in the first game.

As far as their chances at the Dance back then from every outlet I read, here in NY anyway, in 1997, had the Broncos as the AFC champion. NE won the AFC the year before that should have been Denver's.

Even in 1996 the Broncos were seen as vastly improved.

21. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    You apparently don't bleed orange.

I saw the first game the Broncos ever played on 9 September 1960. I then waited for
    14 years after that for a winning season. 14 years. I was a snot-nosed kid delivering
    the Rocky Mountain News when the Broncos were conceived, and a hard-driving
    insurance agent with a family when they finally won.

I wasn't alone. We had a bevy of hard-boiled fans who never gave up on them. Their
    winning culture, which began in 1973, has been our reward. The little bumps and
    bruises since were only to keep us humble in the interim.
    Gotta respect it. Few men like you. *bow*

I came in after playing for the 'Denver Broncos' as a pop warner center and middle linebacker. I went to DENVER elementary school and our team had the same logos as the old time Broncos. They went to the superbowl the next year and I became a fan even though they lost to the Cowboys.

Once Elway came to the show, life has never been the same.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

23. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information