Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ringer: Touchdown Trevor is your God now

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    He had the shot. There was no danger, so he took it.
    Settle down, Viper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    In reality, it was only triple coverage... I would be curious to hear what Baldy said vs. just his tweet. Whether he liked it or not.
    I would say his comment "the Bronco wide receivers are going to have a lot of fun this season", probably answers that question.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Settle down, Viper.
    There was a hard deck on that route.

5. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I would say his comment "the Bronco wide receivers are going to have a lot of fun this season", probably answers that question.
    Agreed. Just listened to it with sound a few minutes ago. When I saw it earlier at work, didn't have sound on, so only had the comment in his Tweet. Listening to the sound, he clearly liked it.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

He's not as boring as he was last year. I hope this trend continues.

8. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    He's not as boring as he was last year. I hope this trend continues.
    Trevor got boring after he was pummeled and had his left shoulder left hanging by a thread. Pray that he doesn't get the same treatment this year and we will be fine.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

10. The Following 8 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    It kind of looks like a bad decision by 13. I think Fowler was wide open on that play.

It worked, so can't be to harsh about it though.
    The TV announcers called it at the time. It was a broken coverage. TS spotted that the S was biting down on the play fake, leaving Sanders able to get behind the defense to the back of the end zone for a TD.

There's just absolutely no reason why the deep safety should EVER let a WR get behind him like that in end-zone coverage, allowing Sanders to run wide open along the back of the end zone. TS spots that Sanders is blowing past the S as soon as he's back in his stance and ready to throw, and he instantly exploits it by throwing to a spot towards the back of the end zone where Sanders will be.

That was exactly what the commenter in the video says: a great call and a great throw by Trevor. That was the most impressive play TS made in his career, I think , and definitely not a mistake. If he made a bad throw it would look terrible because he'd be picked off. But, he didn't. He made a perfect throw. And his willingness to throw it into such tight coverage in the red zone (where turnovers are unforgivable and highly criticized by the coaches), shows that it was no accident he completed that pass.

He knew he could make that throw. He'd done it before in practice and games, and he just did it. He is playing with a ton of confidence right now. Winning the 2nd straight QB competition seems to have boosted his confidence sky high. Now he's just building off that success.

12. The Following 6 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The TV announcers called it at the time. It was a broken coverage. TS spotted that the S was biting down on the play fake, leaving Sanders able to get behind the defense to the back of the end zone for a TD.

There's just absolutely no reason why the deep safety should EVER let a WR get behind him like that in end-zone coverage, allowing Sanders to run wide open along the back of the end zone. TS spots that Sanders is blowing past the S as soon as he's back in his stance and ready to throw, and he instantly exploits it by throwing to a spot towards the back of the end zone where Sanders will be.

That was exactly what the commenter in the video says: a great call and a great throw by Trevor. That was the most impressive play TS made in his career, I think , and definitely not a mistake. If he made a bad throw it would look terrible because he'd be picked off. But, he didn't. He made a perfect throw. And his willingness to throw it into such tight coverage in the red zone (where turnovers are unforgivable and highly criticized by the coaches), shows that it was no accident he completed that pass.

He knew he could make that throw. He'd done it before in practice and games, and he just did it. He is playing with a ton of confidence right now. Winning the 2nd straight QB competition seems to have boosted his confidence sky high. Now he's just building off that success.
    Agreed. Preach it brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Not about any Disney Movie bullshit, its a reaction against the draft geeks, dim-bulbs, and other assorted imbeciles who rate guys based on their draft position, 40 time, verticle jump, bench press, 3 cone drills, and other crap not related to playing/winning games of tackle football.
    Those things ARE related to winning football games though. Of course the draft analysts get things wrong, and they may very well have missed on TS, but they're right more often than they're wrong. It's not like draft evaluation is a bunch of random pseudo-science.

And even if we based everything solely on performance and productivity in college, TS was really, really bad. One of the worst college QBs to ever start an NFL game, even. If he can maintain playing at a level in the same universe as these first 2 weeks, he'll end up being a better story than Kurt Warner. It would be unprecedented.

All of that makes it even easier to root for him to succeed, but you can't blame anyone for doubting him or giving him a poor draft grade.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    Those things ARE related to winning football games though. Of course the draft analysts get things wrong, and they may very well have missed on TS, but they're right more often than they're wrong. It's not like draft evaluation is a bunch of random pseudo-science.

And even if we based everything solely on performance and productivity in college, TS was really, really bad. One of the worst college QBs to ever start an NFL game, even. If he can maintain playing at a level in the same universe as these first 2 weeks, he'll end up being a better story than Kurt Warner. It would be unprecedented.

All of that makes it even easier to root for him to succeed, but you can't blame anyone for doubting him or giving him a poor draft grade.
    No it is not, but when it comes to rating quarterbacks it still looks a lot like throwing darts. Trevor Siemian looks like a keeper, seven picks from Mr. Irrelevant.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Elway should just trade all his 1st-3rd round picks for tons of 4th-7th rounders "from now on." I mean, OK, we got Wolfe and Roby, but that's not much to show for seven seasons worth of 1st and 2nd round picks, especially by comparison to the horde of steady starters and roleplayers he keeps finding in later rounds. Just remember:

Ramming this noodle-armed 7th round nobody down Elways throat when he wanted the 1st round QBotF to start is why Kubiak got "forced out."
    Well, I don't know . . . he also got Shane Ray, Adam Gotsis, and Garrett Bolles. We have
    yet to see about DeMarcus Walker. And you forgot to mention Von (!). I admit there have
    been some busts, but let's not make it worse than it is.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

18. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    Trevor got boring after he was pummeled and had his left shoulder left hanging by a thread. Pray that he doesn't get the same treatment this year and we will be fine.
    They had better do something about right tackle, or Trevor might finish the season in a body bag . . .
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

20. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Most of the above is accurate, but when you then have 3, 9, 14 games (not finally 16 games) of NFL experience, it's the self proclaimed draft and NFL experts that still keep referring back to the draft grade as proof of how good Siemian can be, or can't be.

I think the problem is that far too many around here keep referring back to what was, rather than looking at what IS right in front of them.

If you want some really interesting reads. Look at articles from January 2014 to the end of October 2014. One article has him listed as one of the QB's with the best arm strength as an example, something fans here laughed about, but that we are now starting to see to be true with some of the throws he's made recently.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...t-arm-strength

Another interesting thing contrasting his collegiate career to his pro career is the biggest thing you could complain about is that his TD to INT ratio was terrible.

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...trevor-siemian

We've seen that this is not the case both last season and this. The point really is, it's easy to point to his college career and say "he sucked there, he'll suck here if you wait long enough" but the game tape the last two weeks (and even last season) is telling different story than the one his college career tells us.

You are right, there is a lot in college to justify the poor draft grade, it would have been higher had he not tore his ACL, but it was never going to be top 2 rounds.

I get the initial hesitation, I do...Last season, when people were suggesting that TS would be the starter I was in hardcore mockery mode, the notion that some 7th round nobody could beat out all of the QB's on our roster, much less make the team seemed laughable to me. So I understand why people were slow to adopt TS, I was too until I saw him in the preseason, but at this point, I'm struggling with the continued derision and mockery out of some.

It's very obvious that he's grown past the QB he was in college, the numbers alone tell us that, maybe there is room for continued growth, maybe there isn't, but it's time to stop judging him based on college and start examining what is right in front of us right here, right now.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

There seems to be some kind of fan sentiment that if the scouts were wrong about a player, that means the entire scouting and personnel departments are "draft geeks, dim-bulbs, and other assorted imbeciles who rate guys based on their draft position, 40 time, verticle jump, bench press, 3 cone drills, and other crap not related to playing/winning games of tackle football."

Occasionally, about once every 15 to 20 years, the entire NFL personnel departments miss on a QB, who turns out to be Tom Brady or Kurt Warner. Mostly though, they're right. There have been about 150 QBs taken after the mid 2nd round since 2000 when Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Most of them sucked, just like the scouts predicted.

If Trevor starts and wins the SB after being drafted in the 7th round, he will be the FIRST such QB to do so in the last 17 years. Now THAT is why NFL scouting departments analyse all that "imbecile" stuff. Because normally, you can weed out those that haven't got the skills to be great. It's just sometimes that a player falls through the cracks.

We don't know if Trevor is that QB but so far it looks like it. It's early days yet though.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information