Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ringer: Touchdown Trevor is your God now

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    There seems to be some kind of fan sentiment that if the scouts were wrong about a player, that means the entire scouting and personnel departments are "draft geeks, dim-bulbs, and other assorted imbeciles who rate guys based on their draft position, 40 time, verticle jump, bench press, 3 cone drills, and other crap not related to playing/winning games of tackle football."

Occasionally, about once every 15 to 20 years, the entire NFL personnel departments miss on a QB, who turns out to be Tom Brady or Kurt Warner. Mostly though, they're right. There have been about 150 QBs taken after the mid 2nd round since 2000 when Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Most of them sucked, just like the scouts predicted.

If Trevor starts and wins the SB after being drafted in the 7th round, he will be the FIRST such QB to do so in the last 17 years. Now THAT is why NFL scouting departments analyse all that "imbecile" stuff. Because normally, you can weed out those that haven't got the skills to be great. It's just sometimes that a player falls through the cracks.

We don't know if Trevor is that QB but so far it looks like it. It's early days yet though.
    My question to that would be, how many late round QB's would have succeeded with a higher draft grade.

Obviously, we can't measure it and cannot know, but how many QB's actually get put in a position to overcome their meager start? Just food for thought.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    It's not like draft evaluation is a bunch of random pseudo-science.
    It pretty much is.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Not about any Disney Movie bullshit, its a reaction against the draft geeks, dim-bulbs, and other assorted imbeciles who rate guys based on their draft position, 40 time, verticle jump, bench press, 3 cone drills, and other crap not related to playing/winning games of tackle football.
    You forgot to mention NFL GM's, coaches and scouts, certainly they would be interested in hearing how 2 games is enough for you to reducd a life spent analyzing these things to be something less than fairytale intangibles.

It has everything to do with Disney movie bullshit.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 09-19-2017 at 11:45 PM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by I Eat Staples View Post
    Those things ARE related to winning football games though. Of course the draft analysts get things wrong, and they may very well have missed on TS, but they're right more often than they're wrong. It's not like draft evaluation is a bunch of random pseudo-science.

And even if we based everything solely on performance and productivity in college, TS was really, really bad. One of the worst college QBs to ever start an NFL game, even. If he can maintain playing at a level in the same universe as these first 2 weeks, he'll end up being a better story than Kurt Warner. It would be unprecedented.

All of that makes it even easier to root for him to succeed, but you can't blame anyone for doubting him or giving him a poor draft grade.
    Half the people here hated Siemian 3 weeks ago, and the other half liked him because he was an underdog, 7th round feel-good story.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Half the people here hated Siemian 3 weeks ago, and the other half liked him because he was an underdog, 7th round feel-good story.
    You are lumping me in with two groups. They both suck! I like him because of his decision making skills. End of story!
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Weak math, as you left out the group that didn't like him because he was an underdog, but instead because he had one of the best first years starting in the last couple decades.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Let's hope Trevor continues to play the way he has, and exceeds expectations by many (even the experts). This Dallas game he was Manningesque to watch, but we/he/the BRONCOS knows there is still a long path to the playoffs...... he has us on the right track. Some reason, I have a feeling this game in Buffalo is going to test him.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Lol. Broncos fans and QBs. Always drama. Y'all need to relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

16. The Following 6 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    My question to that would be, how many late round QB's would have succeeded with a higher draft grade.

Obviously, we can't measure it and cannot know, but how many QB's actually get put in a position to overcome their meager start? Just food for thought.
    There has to be a draft. And NFL GMs are not imbeciles, no matter how many lack-wit fans on the internet insist otherwise. So, some guys get drafted high, and some low or not at all. And it's not just some idiots being prejudiced against a player. They are trying to predict future success based on unknowns. Some guys just have it and some don't, and there's just no way to predict in advance. But, there are reliable guides that USUALLY can tell you whether the guy has a shot. So, scouts rely on those.

Since most of the QBs who are either drafted in the 7th round or not at all suck, this system works pretty well.

However, there are problems. First, college football is not at all like the NFL and getting MORE Unlike it every year. College coaches need to win now, and they can do so best by not trusting their players any more than they have to. Young kids make mistakes, and mistakes cost you football games and losing gets you fired.

Then, like Paxton and a host of other first and second round QBs, they get to the NFL and have no idea how to play in the league. Some learn, and some don't.

But, the same thing is true of 7th round QBs too, it's just that they have even less demonstrated athletic skill and playmaking ability. What should they do? Draft 100 small school QBs in the usually forlorn hope that one of them won't be a turd sandwich when given the chance?

Trevor did not light it up in college, hence he fell in the draft. Some teams admitted they didn't even bother to scout him - small school, not full time starter, not really that tall or athletic, there just wasn't much there to differentiate him from all the other college QBs who have no shot of making it in the NFL.

He was barely worth a pick to 1 team, the Broncos. He was a camp arm, destined to sit on the practice squad for a couple of years until his eligibility expired, then goodbye! And lucky even to be IN the NFL for a cup of coffee.

That's actually how MOST of the NFL players spend their careers. The Von Millers of the world are rare.

But, the one thing nobody could gauge before the draft - mental ability to learn a system he never studied before, distinguished Trevor. He won over the coaching staff. He won the starting job.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Lol. Broncos fans and QBs. Always drama. Y'all need to relax.
    That's pretty much the truest thing spoken in this thread.

I've always liked Siemian simply because all our other QBs were much worse (at least now that future first ballot HoFer Kyle Sloter's gone. ) Last year I viewed him as a sacrificial lamb because we had to start SOMEONE behind our crap protection while our raw rookie 1st rounder learned complex things like the playbook, reading defenses and how to tie his shoes.

On that note: If Stewart's raving about all the things Siemian picked up from Manning in a SINGLE YEAR where he was having to learn everything about the NFL at once, what's it say about Oz that he shared the film room with Manning FOUR years yet STILL isn't ready? Oz forgot his helmet AND its contents, so this is his whole career:

Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    That's pretty much the truest thing spoken in this thread.
    What's the problem? The Broncos have their QB and he's doing a decent job. The Two Giraffes are on the bench, where hopefully they will stay.

By next year, not even John Elway will be able to flog Paxton Lynch or Brock off on the Broncos fan base instead of Trevor. The competition is over. IF Trevor fails, the Broncos will have to go back to the draft and seek another QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I've always liked Siemian simply because all our other QBs were much worse (at least now that future first ballot HoFer Kyle Sloter's gone. ) Last year I viewed him as a sacrificial lamb because we had to start SOMEONE behind our crap protection while our raw rookie 1st rounder learned complex things like the playbook, reading defenses and how to tie his shoes.

On that note: If Stewart's raving about all the things Siemian picked up from Manning in a SINGLE YEAR where he was having to learn everything about the NFL at once, what's it say about Oz that he shared the film room with Manning FOUR years yet STILL isn't ready? Oz forgot his helmet AND its contents, so this is his whole career:

He didn't forget his helmet. That scene was the famous incident where Peyton ran back out on the field in garbage time while Brock was "oh, boy! I get to go in now!" Then he saw Peyton running back onto the field, and threw up his hands. This was all before Peyton got benched of course. And before Brock gave the Broncos the goodbye and went off for the big payday. And of course, he can't play dead in a Western as he proved in Houston.

This looks to be Elway trying to prove he was right after all "Paxton is tall! Brock is even taller! Now we have TWO Giraffes! Awesome!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    He didn't forget his helmet. That scene was the famous incident where Peyton ran back out on the field in garbage time while Brock was "oh, boy! I get to go in now!" Then he saw Peyton running back onto the field, and threw up his hands. This was all before Peyton got benched of course. And before Brock gave the Broncos the goodbye and went off for the big payday. And of course, he can't play dead in a Western as he proved in Houston.

This looks to be Elway trying to prove he was right after all "Paxton is tall! Brock is even taller! Now we have TWO Giraffes! Awesome!"
    I remember when it was, but also remember someone (I wanna say GEM) saying, "If you think you're going in, have your helmet on ALREADY, not your baseball cap." Which is interesting, because when I was googling the gif I was an article about at the time where Fox took the blame with a comment his brain (he claims to have one, also against all evidence) was saying something about "warming up" and he decided Oz wasn't warmed up enough yet, so he stayed with Manning a few more plays.

Oz wasn't ready, which really has been his whole career, with the brief but crucial exception of mid-2015, when Manning COULDN'T play and Oz was just good enough.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information