Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98

Thread: Nintendo Switch Releases

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    Hingle McCringleberry
    Posts
    11,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Not everyone has the technical expertise to setup an emulator. The SNES classic gives everyone regardless of their technical level to hook the mini-console to their TV via HDMI and play old classics.

    I've got a Raspberry Pi with emulation station, I actually find I'd rather hook my PS4 controller up to my laptop and play SNES games there.
    Yeah I understand that for the general public the NES and SNES classic are the way to go. I was just curious why someone with technical knowledge like Wayninja was going to bother with it, but it turns out he has morals or something.

    If I was going to go the hardware route, I'd pick up the Retro Duo-Twin system that plays NES and SNES cartridges. That way you are still paying for the games so you get to feel ok about it at least, and it works on your newer TVs. It is actually pretty surprising how cheap most NES and SNES games are. I still have a few myself but my systems are lost at my parents house somewhere.

  2. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:


  3. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    15,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yeah I understand that for the general public the NES and SNES classic are the way to go. I was just curious why someone with technical knowledge like Wayninja was going to bother with it, but it turns out he has morals or something.

    If I was going to go the hardware route, I'd pick up the Retro Duo-Twin system that plays NES and SNES cartridges. That way you are still paying for the games so you get to feel ok about it at least, and it works on your newer TVs. It is actually pretty surprising how cheap most NES and SNES games are. I still have a few myself but my systems are lost at my parents house somewhere.
    One thing I definitely do NOT want is cartridge clutter. Have that enough already with our "modern" consoles.

    Since the kids have the wii U and are getting a switch for xmas, I may tinker with their Wii U to add retroarch for emulation purposes (mainly so I can play while they co-opt my snes classic).

  4. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:


  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    One thing I definitely do NOT want is cartridge clutter. Have that enough already with our "modern" consoles.

    Since the kids have the wii U and are getting a switch for xmas, I may tinker with their Wii U to add retroarch for emulation purposes (mainly so I can play while they co-opt my snes classic).
    My original Wii was nice because it was incredibly easy to jailbreak. I had it so that I could load SNES/NES EMU's and store the roms on the SD card (I could also plug in an external harddrive and store all the games on there, which was nice since my CD drive broke)

    I don't know if the Wii U has similar jailbreaking capabilities, but it was super freaking easy to do on the Wii.

  6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:


  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    15,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    My original Wii was nice because it was incredibly easy to jailbreak. I had it so that I could load SNES/NES EMU's and store the roms on the SD card (I could also plug in an external harddrive and store all the games on there, which was nice since my CD drive broke)

    I don't know if the Wii U has similar jailbreaking capabilities, but it was super freaking easy to do on the Wii.
    It does, but I haven't messed with it, since if I bricked it, the kids would be... unhappy with me.

    Once they get a switch, that danger largely goes away.

    My buddy does the same thing with his Wii, and we get together on occasion to have good ol' classic SNES shindigs with it. Mortal Kombat and Bomberman for all!

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    It does, but I haven't messed with it, since if I bricked it, the kids would be... unhappy with me.

    Once they get a switch, that danger largely goes away.

    My buddy does the same thing with his Wii, and we get together on occasion to have good ol' classic SNES shindigs with it. Mortal Kombat and Bomberman for all!
    Uniracers, Final Fantasy and Turtles are my jams on SNES.

    Oh ya, and Mario RPG.

  9. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:


  10. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    Hingle McCringleberry
    Posts
    11,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Uniracers, Final Fantasy and Turtles are my jams on SNES.

    Oh ya, and Mario RPG.
    Man so many good games on the SNES. These are my Favorites:

    Final Fantasy III
    Super Mario All Stars
    Rock 'n Roll Racing
    Super Star Wars
    TMNT: Turtles in Time
    Mortal Kombat II
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

    I grew up with Nintendo, and the SNES is probably my favorite system ever.

  11. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Man so many good games on the SNES. These are my Favorites:

    Final Fantasy III
    Super Mario All Stars
    Rock 'n Roll Racing
    Super Star Wars
    TMNT: Turtles in Time
    Mortal Kombat II
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

    I grew up with Nintendo, and the SNES is probably my favorite system ever.
    SNES and Playstation 1 and 2 spoiled me. I fell in love with J-RPG games like Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Wild Arms, ect...

    Now that entire genre is mostly dead... Final Fantasy still exists obviously, but I badly miss the turn based formula from Final Fantasy 1-10. FFXI on just failed (though I did like XV)

  12. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:


  13. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    15,615

    Default

    Micro machines. That game is an absolute blast in MP.

    And no love for Earthbound?

    I also spent an embarrassing amount of time on obscure titles like Nobunaga's Ambition.
    Last edited by wayninja; 10-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.

  14. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Micro machines. That game is an absolute blast in MP.

    And no love for Earthbound?

    I also spent an embarrassing amount of time on obscure titles like Nobunaga's Ambition.
    Honestly, I've never played it. I know that I should have and I've been tempted numerous times to go back and do it, but it's not one I ever played.

  15. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Micro machines. That game is an absolute blast in MP.

    And no love for Earthbound?

    I also spent an embarrassing amount of time on obscure titles like Nobunaga's Ambition.
    Nobunaga's might be my favorite title on the platform outside of Mega Mans.

    Another favorite is Master of Monsters, a precursor to Might and Magic Heroes. But it appears that's a Sega title. Huh. I spent an unreal amount of time on those two titles--Nobunaga and MoM.
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:


  17. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Nobunaga's might be my favorite title on the platform outside of Mega Mans.

    Another favorite is Master of Monsters, a precursor to Might and Magic Heroes. But it appears that's a Sega title. Huh. I spent an unreal amount of time on those two titles--Nobunaga and MoM.
    I think the game on the older gen consoles that I spent the most time on is Final Fantasy IX (my favorite in the entire series) I get way too sucked into RPGs. I dumped probably a total of 1500 hours into the various Elder Scrolls games over the years, I dumped well over 1500 hours into The Lord of the Rings Online (screw wow, LOTRO was where it was at) Then there is destiny which I somehow, according to the website put 700 hours into... (Don't ask, it was a dark time)

  18. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    31,661

    Default




  19. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post


    Says the guy sitting behind the computer reading about people who play video games.
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:


  21. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    31,661

    Default

    I love video games. Was probably playing them before many posting in this forum were born!

  22. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:


  23. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I love video games. Was probably playing them before many posting in this forum were born!
    Possibly, I started rocking my first pong console back in the 80s before I finally got an NES.

  24. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should I get a Nintendo 3DS?
    By broncoFan! in forum Video Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 07:18 AM
  2. Nintendo DS
    By gnomeflinger in forum What's on your Mind (Chit Chat)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM
  3. Nintendo DS
    By Shazam! in forum Video Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group