Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch Releases

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Not everyone has the technical expertise to setup an emulator. The SNES classic gives everyone regardless of their technical level to hook the mini-console to their TV via HDMI and play old classics.

I've got a Raspberry Pi with emulation station, I actually find I'd rather hook my PS4 controller up to my laptop and play SNES games there.
    Yeah I understand that for the general public the NES and SNES classic are the way to go. I was just curious why someone with technical knowledge like Wayninja was going to bother with it, but it turns out he has morals or something.

If I was going to go the hardware route, I'd pick up the Retro Duo-Twin system that plays NES and SNES cartridges. That way you are still paying for the games so you get to feel ok about it at least, and it works on your newer TVs. It is actually pretty surprising how cheap most NES and SNES games are. I still have a few myself but my systems are lost at my parents house somewhere.

2. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Yeah I understand that for the general public the NES and SNES classic are the way to go. I was just curious why someone with technical knowledge like Wayninja was going to bother with it, but it turns out he has morals or something.

If I was going to go the hardware route, I'd pick up the Retro Duo-Twin system that plays NES and SNES cartridges. That way you are still paying for the games so you get to feel ok about it at least, and it works on your newer TVs. It is actually pretty surprising how cheap most NES and SNES games are. I still have a few myself but my systems are lost at my parents house somewhere.
    One thing I definitely do NOT want is cartridge clutter. Have that enough already with our "modern" consoles.

Since the kids have the wii U and are getting a switch for xmas, I may tinker with their Wii U to add retroarch for emulation purposes (mainly so I can play while they co-opt my snes classic).

4. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    One thing I definitely do NOT want is cartridge clutter. Have that enough already with our "modern" consoles.

Since the kids have the wii U and are getting a switch for xmas, I may tinker with their Wii U to add retroarch for emulation purposes (mainly so I can play while they co-opt my snes classic).
    My original Wii was nice because it was incredibly easy to jailbreak. I had it so that I could load SNES/NES EMU's and store the roms on the SD card (I could also plug in an external harddrive and store all the games on there, which was nice since my CD drive broke)

I don't know if the Wii U has similar jailbreaking capabilities, but it was super freaking easy to do on the Wii.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

My original Wii was nice because it was incredibly easy to jailbreak. I had it so that I could load SNES/NES EMU's and store the roms on the SD card (I could also plug in an external harddrive and store all the games on there, which was nice since my CD drive broke)

I don't know if the Wii U has similar jailbreaking capabilities, but it was super freaking easy to do on the Wii.
    It does, but I haven't messed with it, since if I bricked it, the kids would be... unhappy with me.

Once they get a switch, that danger largely goes away.

My buddy does the same thing with his Wii, and we get together on occasion to have good ol' classic SNES shindigs with it. Mortal Kombat and Bomberman for all!

It does, but I haven't messed with it, since if I bricked it, the kids would be... unhappy with me.

Once they get a switch, that danger largely goes away.

My buddy does the same thing with his Wii, and we get together on occasion to have good ol' classic SNES shindigs with it. Mortal Kombat and Bomberman for all!
    Uniracers, Final Fantasy and Turtles are my jams on SNES.

Oh ya, and Mario RPG.

9. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Uniracers, Final Fantasy and Turtles are my jams on SNES.

Oh ya, and Mario RPG.
    Man so many good games on the SNES. These are my Favorites:

Final Fantasy III
    Super Mario All Stars
    Rock 'n Roll Racing
    Super Star Wars
    TMNT: Turtles in Time
    Mortal Kombat II
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I grew up with Nintendo, and the SNES is probably my favorite system ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Man so many good games on the SNES. These are my Favorites:

Final Fantasy III
    Super Mario All Stars
    Rock 'n Roll Racing
    Super Star Wars
    TMNT: Turtles in Time
    Mortal Kombat II
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I grew up with Nintendo, and the SNES is probably my favorite system ever.
    SNES and Playstation 1 and 2 spoiled me. I fell in love with J-RPG games like Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Wild Arms, ect...

Now that entire genre is mostly dead... Final Fantasy still exists obviously, but I badly miss the turn based formula from Final Fantasy 1-10. FFXI on just failed (though I did like XV)

12. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Micro machines. That game is an absolute blast in MP.

And no love for Earthbound?

I also spent an embarrassing amount of time on obscure titles like Nobunaga's Ambition.
    Last edited by wayninja; 10-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.

I also spent an embarrassing amount of time on obscure titles like Nobunaga's Ambition.
    Honestly, I've never played it. I know that I should have and I've been tempted numerous times to go back and do it, but it's not one I ever played.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Nobunaga's might be my favorite title on the platform outside of Mega Mans.

Another favorite is Master of Monsters, a precursor to Might and Magic Heroes. But it appears that's a Sega title. Huh. I spent an unreal amount of time on those two titles--Nobunaga and MoM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Nobunaga's might be my favorite title on the platform outside of Mega Mans.

Another favorite is Master of Monsters, a precursor to Might and Magic Heroes. But it appears that's a Sega title. Huh. I spent an unreal amount of time on those two titles--Nobunaga and MoM.
    I think the game on the older gen consoles that I spent the most time on is Final Fantasy IX (my favorite in the entire series) I get way too sucked into RPGs. I dumped probably a total of 1500 hours into the various Elder Scrolls games over the years, I dumped well over 1500 hours into The Lord of the Rings Online (screw wow, LOTRO was where it was at) Then there is destiny which I somehow, according to the website put 700 hours into... (Don't ask, it was a dark time)

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

Says the guy sitting behind the computer reading about people who play video games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I love video games. Was probably playing them before many posting in this forum were born!

22. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I love video games. Was probably playing them before many posting in this forum were born!
    Possibly, I started rocking my first pong console back in the 80s before I finally got an NES.

24. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information