Thread: Help coaching youth soccer!

Default Help coaching youth soccer!

Okay, so I got talked into coaching both of my daughters' soccer teams. I don't know much about soccer and it's Maia's and Amelia's first time playing. They are 4 and 6, but will be 5 and 7 this month. How does one go about coaching these age groups? I know Amelia's age group only has the ref throw the ball back in and the players are pretty unorganized. In Maia's age group they have to put the ball back in play themselves. The activities director explained corner kicks and stuff to me today. I think my biggest issue, along with learning all the rules, will be patience.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Uh.......

You shouldn't be coaching little girls is my first response.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

You should tell them to kick the ball into the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

4. The Following 7 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

For the youngest one, there's not a lot you can really teach them at that age...just the basics, really. Other than that it's like herding cats, so yes, you're gonna need some patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

6. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

I think we are going to paint spots on the field to show each position about where they should be. I hope that will help. We still don't have team names. I told the activities director that I want orange teams. I will be coaching my boss's son. We'll see how this goes. Practice starts Monday. I'm guessing parents will be the worst part.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Never have them wait in line for drills. Have everyone do the same thing at the same time or they will lose interest. Google you tube videos for drills.

And try to bone the single moms.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Never have them wait in line for drills. Have everyone do the same thing at the same time or they will lose interest. Google you tube videos for drills.

And try to bone the single moms.

That's the plan. I went through the forms and checked out the one's who left the father's names blank.

11. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    That's the plan. I went through the forms and checked out the one's who left the father's names blank.
    Ok play those kids a bit more even if they suck. Then plan team activities off the field where maybe the adults can put a beer in their hand.

Dapper I wish you the best. If you have anymore questions ask them in the next ~3 days.

13. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Ok play those kids a bit more even if they suck. Then plan team activities off the field where maybe the adults can put a beer in their hand.

Dapper I wish you the best. If you have anymore questions ask them in the next ~3 days.
    Godspeed.

Im coaching my son's K-1 flag football team. Not sure how long your practices are, but spend half the time playing games that still use soccer skills. They will never know it.

My kids tell me that want to go home until we start playing sharks and minnows. I have the minnows run our two plays, and the sharks play defense. They have no idea they are running plays until i break it down fir them.

Just have fun at this age, and immerse yourself in YouTube how to videos.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    You should tell them to kick the ball into the net.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Update!

I have no patience. I hate other people's kids. I'd rather nap.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information