Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What could have Sloter done to make the 53?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Default What could have Sloter done to make the 53?

My Answer. Nothing.

Organizations value high pick busts more.

He took over when Lynch got hurt and looked better then Lynch.

Didnt matter if he threw 7 tds or not.

He was not picked in the first round.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    My Answer. Nothing.

Organizations value high pick busts more.

He took over when Lynch got hurt and looked better then Lynch.

Didnt matter if he threw 7 tds or not.

He was not picked in the first round.
    UDFA's stick around in Denver every year, this didn't have anything yo did with draft position. They hoped he'd make it through to the PS, they were wrong. Shit happens...

What could he have done? Look better in practice against the starting D? Have the first quarter of the last game go as well as the last 3? Make himself 6' 9"?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post

What could he have done? Look better in practice against the starting D? Have the first quarter of the last game go as well as the last 3? Make himself 6' 9"?
    Then why is Lynch on the roster?

He looked awful this preseason and in practice against the starting D.

Draft position should not matter to Elway, i dont know why it does.

So many players have proved why draft position does not matter.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Then why is Lynch on the roster?

He looked awful this preseason and in practice against the starting D.

Draft position should not matter to Elway, i dont know why it does.

So many players have proved why draft position does not matter.
    You watched practice? All things are not equal in the games. I'm no fan of PL, and I wanted Sloter to stick around, but his undrafted status had nothing to do with it.

Elway gambled and lost.

You're right about your last part, a lot have proven it doesn't matter. Ask Chris Harris.

5. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    You watched practice? All things are not equal in the games. I'm no fan of PL, and I wanted Sloter to stick around, but his undrafted status had nothing to do with it.

Elway gambled and lost.

You're right about your last part, a lot have proven it doesn't matter. Ask Chris Harris.
    i actually am a fan of Lynch.

But he is only on this 53 because of draft position. Along with Cody Latimer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

not suck so much. . . i am reliably informed that he's obviously not good enough to be on a roster, or he would be. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Answer: Nothing

Sloter admitted that Elway and company told him he was expendable because Oz came on the market. Whether right or wrong the Broncos felt that Oz was more important to the team than he was. Its just good that the Vikings seem to want to give him a chance and i hope he can take advantage of it.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Trevor Siemian is proof that Elway gives late round/undrafted QBs a chance. That is a bad take and you should feel bad for making it!

To answer the question, had he played in camp against our starters like he did in the preseason against scrubs, he probably makes the team. Camp reports about him were not good. It's great to light up the preseason, but when you are playing against scrubs playing in a base package it's hard to put THAT much stock in it. Lynch had a good preseason last year. Tom Brandstater killed it in the preseason here. I've just seen too many shitty QBs look good in the preseason to put a lot of stock in it, and I'm sure Elway has too.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

"its preseason argument". Lynch sucked in preseason against the same people Sloter blew up.

I have seen QBs have good games in preseason before. What i saw from Sloter, reminded me of when i saw Russel Wilson so many years ago in a preseason game with on point ball placement. Who is this guy? Then he became starter by winning preseason games. But sloter has an even better arm.

Will he ever get the mental aspect? with 1 year experience? Maybe... maybe not. But he is a prospect with legit upside. Compared to the Qbs on the Broncos roster currently.... well except Chad kelly.

Stokely pretty much brings up the same point on his show. Sloters preseason was special. But they didnt bother evaluating him as a backup.

http://1043thefan.com/category/podca...okley+and+Zach

Its about draft status. It always has been. Seen it so many times.
    Last edited by ShaneFalco; 09-05-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Bottom line, there is nothing Sloter could have done, other than maybe lit it up against Denver defense during training camp.

If Lynch hadn't gotten hurt, then there is a chance that Sloter's preseason play might have forced the Broncos to carry three QBs, the way Siemian's play did in '15, but once Lynch got hurt, then that possibility went out the window. I doubt there was anything that Sloter could have done to convince the front office that he could be Siemian's backup for 3-6 weeks while Lynch was out with an injury.

14. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Other than pulling a Tonya Harding on Siemian, probably nothing. For some reason, and it's been that way since Shanahan, we only carry 2 QBs on the roster (usually we have one on the PS too) unless one gets hurt. I know roster space is valuable, but carrying 6 WRs and 4 TEs, most of which are scrubs, has always kinda baffled me. STs I guess.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Other than pulling a Tonya Harding on Siemian, probably nothing. For some reason, and it's been that way since Shanahan, we only carry 2 QBs on the roster (usually we have one on the PS too) unless one gets hurt. I know roster space is valuable, but carrying 6 WRs and 4 TEs, most of which are scrubs, has always kinda baffled me. STs I guess.
    It's 100% because of special teams. Backup QBs eat up a roster spot and can do absolutely nothing but sit on the bench. You obviously have to have one backup in case the starter goes down, but keeping 3 is tougher. In general, it's better to use that roster spot on a guy who can contribute on ST than on a guy who will literally never see the field barring a total disaster (at which point your team is probably screwed regardless).

I definitely see the logic in not keeping 3 guys. There will always be a FA out there you can sign in a pinch if needed who probably is just as good as whomever you would have kept as the #3 guy.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

We have a 4th rounder and a 6th rounder starting on the OL. We traded away a 2nd rounder. By your logic, that shouldn't have happened.

20. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    We have a 4th rounder and a 6th rounder starting on the OL. We traded away a 2nd rounder. By your logic, that shouldn't have happened.
    And a 7th rounder starting at QB, and an UDFA starting CB. And by all accounts we cut Ward to be able to keep the UDFA Carter. The whole "he didn't get a chance because he was undrafted" narrative is stupid.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    for giraffes its different. sam wasnt a giraffe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information