Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What could have Sloter done to make the 53?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The whole "he didn't get a chance because he was undrafted" narrative is stupid.
    Then why are you still posting in the thread?

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

The important question is let us see how he does in Minny. IF he truly is the secind coming, he should start there immediately yes?

At least hes not in the AFC.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    for giraffes its different. sam wasnt a giraffe
    Can you post in a manner that is comprehensible?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Can you post in a manner that is comprehensible?
    7 ft tall QBs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

It's 100% because of special teams. Backup QBs eat up a roster spot and can do absolutely nothing but sit on the bench. You obviously have to have one backup in case the starter goes down, but keeping 3 is tougher. In general, it's better to use that roster spot on a guy who can contribute on ST than on a guy who will literally never see the field barring a total disaster (at which point your team is probably screwed regardless).I definitely see the logic in not keeping 3 guys. There will always be a FA out there you can sign in a pinch if needed who probably is just as good as whomever you would have kept as the #3 guy.
    I would think it would be easier to pick up a guy for special team needs than to find a decent Qb on the fly. Your argument actually works against you there.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I would think it would be easier to pick up a guy for special team needs than to find a decent Qb on the fly. Your argument actually works against you there.
    "just a stupid narrative"

Plenty of Brandon Weedens to grab in the world North! Not many decent backups....

We men of the north have to stick together. Winter is here.....
    Last edited by ShaneFalco; 09-05-2017 at 09:29 AM.

My Answer. Nothing.

Organizations value high pick busts more.

He took over when Lynch got hurt and looked better then Lynch.

Didnt matter if he threw 7 tds or not.

He was not picked in the first round.
    Shane...get over it. If we valued high value picks more, guys like Harris, B-Marsh, ect... wouldn't be here and we wouldn't have a 7th round draft pick as our starter. Sloter didn't make the cut because we didn't have enough roster spaces and they didn't feel comfortable carrying him as a backup QB. Period... There is no grand conspiracy here, no failure on the FO part.

He was a 3rd string QB, who showed promise in the future, but had not yet faced real adversity against real opponents (1 team). He was raw and not yet ready to lead a team which is why they had hoped he'd end up on our PS.

Then why is Lynch on the roster?
    Because cutting him would cost us about 4 million in dead cap penalties. Basically had we cut him, we'd lose most of the money we'd gained from cutting ward. That's why he's still on the roster, because it would cost us too much money to cut him this year.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    The important question is let us see how he does in Minny. IF he truly is the secind coming, he should start there immediately yes?

At least hes not in the AFC.
    So, like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers did? C'mon absolutes in anything football related are just ridiculous. Sloter could be (and probably is) better physical talent wise than anyone on the MN roster but he's not going to magically start over Sam Bradford after one week of being signed to the PS. Remember, no Sloterites were saying he should be our starter, just that him being retained over guys like Lynch and Oz would've been prudent based on his obvious physical talents and Preseason play.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Except you almost never need a third string QB. You always need special teamers. I'd rather the last roster spot go to a guy who can definitely contribute every week over a guy who might play in a disaster scenario. And like I said, if you do get down to the third string QB, you're screwed regardless if you kept some scrub on your roster as a third stringer or if you have to sign one off the street.

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

And a 7th rounder starting at QB, and an UDFA starting CB. And by all accounts we cut Ward to be able to keep the UDFA Carter. The whole "he didn't get a chance because he was undrafted" narrative is stupid.
    That's a whole other kind of "outside the box, inside the asylum" thinking, but yeah. And Tned's right that Lynchs contract (including its fifth year option) makes a difference; we were never cutting Lynch when it meant a multi-million dollar cap hit, especially when we knew from the outset he was a project player. It's certainly ironic to think an injury to one QB made another LESS likely to make the team, but the reality is that we were always going to try PSing Sloter and the better he played in preseason the less likely that was to succeed. It sucks and I personally think we'll regret refusing to keep him as a 3rd QB on the 53, but no one knows the future.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

it would have been nice to have Sloter on the PS but unfortunately it didn't happen... not much to get worked up about, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

16. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    UDFA's stick around in Denver every year, this didn't have anything yo did with draft position. They hoped he'd make it through to the PS, they were wrong. Shit happens...

What could he have done? Look better in practice against the starting D? Have the first quarter of the last game go as well as the last 3? Make himself 6' 9"?
    But, he DID make it through to the practice squad. He cleared waivers. It's just that the Broncos wanted to offer him the league minimum for Practice Squad Players - $7,000 a game for every game he's on the roster.

The Vikings offered him $20,000 a game this season, or $320,000. The Broncos offered $115,000 a difference that is over $200,000 a year.

Now $200,000 would be a TON of money for ME. I'd gladly work a year for $200,000. But, for NFL teams it's not even tip money. The Broncos have a $165,000,000 budget for player salaries this season and this doesn't even include the money they pay the staff from Elway down to the trainers.

They simply do not believe that Sloter has a future in the NFL as a starter. Nobody else really does either or he would be on somebody's active roster right now. Because they sure as hell did not let him go because he was making too much money.

The league rookie minimum for active roster players is $465,000. The Broncos did not want to pay that much because Sloter has no future. That's how they see it. Money talks and B.S. walks.
    Last edited by Cugel; 09-05-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    That's a whole other kind of "outside the box, inside the asylum" thinking, but yeah. And Tned's right that Lynchs contract (including its fifth year option) makes a difference; we were never cutting Lynch when it meant a multi-million dollar cap hit, especially when we knew from the outset he was a project player. It's certainly ironic to think an injury to one QB made another LESS likely to make the team, but the reality is that we were always going to try PSing Sloter and the better he played in preseason the less likely that was to succeed. It sucks and I personally think we'll regret refusing to keep him as a 3rd QB on the 53, but no one knows the future.
    The only difference is that the fan reaction would have been much worse if Sloter started the season on the 53 man roster. I think one BIG reason why Elway got rid of Sloter is so they won't keep getting asked questions "Kyle had another good week of practice and Paxton sucked once again and threw several picks and looked utterly lost out there. Is Kyle moving up the depth chart to two this week? How about now? Now? What about now? Are we there yet?"

And then when Paxton returns they cut Sloter and there's another angry fan outburst to deal with. Because they always intended to go with 2 QBs on the active roster, not 3. The only reason there are 3 now is Paxton's injury.

All the fan criticism and the questioning by the media is because the fans and media are tired of the "Paxton sucks" story and want to move on to something else, but Elway & co. are still bent on proving that Paxton just needs more time. Since they're running the team, Paxton will get more time to prove he sucks.

We need to accept it. The future is still Paxton Lynch as far as John Elway is concerned. Paxton's failure so far is a setback, but they didn't hire all those QB coaches for their health. They want to develop him and "see what we've got."

Well, we got two giraffes, that's what.

"just a stupid narrative"

Plenty of Brandon Weedens to grab in the world North! Not many decent backups....

We men of the north have to stick together. Winter is here.....
    First time anyone's ever considered Missouri "the North."
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information