Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Broncos QB going forward - where to find one if Siemian isn't the answer in 2018

1. You need a top 10 QB to win the SB. He's all about winning the SB. There is an exception once every 10 years for a team with an historically great defense like the '85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens, & the 2015 Broncos. This team has used up it's exception. There will be no repeat performance - not that way.
    In 01, 03, and 04, Tom Brady wasn't really a top-10 QB. Those teams were carried more by the defense than Brady.

As for Brady: He's done. This is the year the wheels come off the bus in flames.
    Joel, I hope you are right. This NE team isn't looking quite as good as people thought. They have no Edelman (him and Brady really developed a rapport the past three years), Dwayne Allen is a downgrade from Martellus Bennett, and their pass rush will struggle since Ninkovich retired and Ealy doesn't fit their team.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived 7DnBrnc53 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I think this rule applies to any NFL GM: Draft the quarterback you believe is best and available to you in the first or second round, try to develop him for a few years, and keep doing it over and over again until you hit or you get fired.
    I still think it depends on the overall quality of the specific team and draft class. If a team's bad enough to have many big weaknesses yet NOT bad enough for a high draft pick, immediately going all-in for a QB can be a mistake, especially in a weak QB draft. Just like every position, great QB drafts tend to come in waves; the 3rd best QB might be Rapistburger one year and Jason Campbell the next (and ACTUALLY WERE in '04 and '05.) The '83 draft had half a dozen 1st round QBs, half of whom are in the HoF; a year later, the first QB was Esiason early in the 2nd, and he probably was the best of '84s QBs.

No GM can afford to keep spending their 1st rounder on a QB year after year until he finds a good one; that's Cleveland thinking. You can't draft what isn't there, nor use a single position to solve every problem. Even if a team IS so bad it "earns" a top three pick, it's still unwise (IMHO) to pass up on the kind of perennial All Pros and potential HoFers available there just because none of them happen to be a QB: Draft the Von Miller you can build a franchise around for the next decade, and if you still need a QB you can always trade up next year and/or wait for a deep QB class.

Everyone says Oakland blew it drafting JaMarcus Russell in '07, but if they'd had a crystal ball and took the best of all those rookie QBs, here were their options:

#22 Brady Quinn
    #36 Kevin Kolb
    #43 Drew Stanton
    #92 Trent Edwards
    #103 Isaiah Stanback
    #151 Jeff Rowe
    #174 Troy Smith
    #205 Jordan Palmer
    #217 Tyler Thigpen

So was the mistake drafting Russell, or drafting a QB AT ALL? The #1 overall pick gave them a shot at ANY rookie; the 1st round alone featured Megatron, Joe Thomas and Joe Staley (FAR better options for a cellar dweller in need of a young QB to groom) AP and Beast Mode, Revis Island and Greg Olsen. A year later, Flacco lasted til #18, but Matty Ice went #3 overall and Oakland could've had him: They took McFadden at #4, because they "already had" their QB.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

The draft, **** Kirk Cousins to hell.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    In 01, 03, and 04, Tom Brady wasn't really a top-10 QB. Those teams were carried more by the defense than Brady.

Joel, I hope you are right. This NE team isn't looking quite as good as people thought. They have no Edelman (him and Brady really developed a rapport the past three years), Dwayne Allen is a downgrade from Martellus Bennett, and their pass rush will struggle since Ninkovich retired and Ealy doesn't fit their team.
    Joel's been saying Talid is done since he's been here.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

6. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post

There's a reason Manning's the oldest starting QB to win a SB, and Elway before him. Everyone who watched those games knows both were mere shadows of their first ballot HoFer selves by then, though that was still better than most. No amount of anti-concussion water from indicted business partners can halt time in its tracks.

Speaking of which, I can't imagine the NFL letting anyone but Tom Terrific get away with the kind of need-to-know diet he maintains all day, every season. When I say it's unclear whether what he sips on the sideline instead of Gatorade is even LEGAL, I don't mean (just) under the CBA: I mean under FEDERAL LAW.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Joel's been saying Talid is done since he's been here.
    Talid's not 40.

9. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I still think it depends on the overall quality of the specific team and draft class. If a team's bad enough to have many big weaknesses yet NOT bad enough for a high draft pick, immediately going all-in for a QB can be a mistake, especially in a weak QB draft. Just like every position, great QB drafts tend to come in waves; the 3rd best QB might be Rapistburger one year and Jason Campbell the next (and ACTUALLY WERE in '04 and '05.) The '83 draft had half a dozen 1st round QBs, half of whom are in the HoF; a year later, the first QB was Esiason early in the 2nd, and he probably was the best of '84s QBs.

No GM can afford to keep spending their 1st rounder on a QB year after year until he finds a good one; that's Cleveland thinking. You can't draft what isn't there, nor use a single position to solve every problem. Even if a team IS so bad it "earns" a top three pick, it's still unwise (IMHO) to pass up on the kind of perennial All Pros and potential HoFers available there just because none of them happen to be a QB: Draft the Von Miller you can build a franchise around for the next decade, and if you still need a QB you can always trade up next year and/or wait for a deep QB class.

Everyone says Oakland blew it drafting JaMarcus Russell in '07, but if they'd had a crystal ball and took the best of all those rookie QBs, here were their options:

#22 Brady Quinn
    #36 Kevin Kolb
    #43 Drew Stanton
    #92 Trent Edwards
    #103 Isaiah Stanback
    #151 Jeff Rowe
    #174 Troy Smith
    #205 Jordan Palmer
    #217 Tyler Thigpen

So was the mistake drafting Russell, or drafting a QB AT ALL? The #1 overall pick gave them a shot at ANY rookie; the 1st round alone featured Megatron, Joe Thomas and Joe Staley (FAR better options for a cellar dweller in need of a young QB to groom) AP and Beast Mode, Revis Island and Greg Olsen. A year later, Flacco lasted til #18, but Matty Ice went #3 overall and Oakland could've had him: They took McFadden at #4, because they "already had" their QB.
    I disagree.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I am one of the few Tom Brady fans on here, but no way do I want him in Denver..... Remember manning went from world beater to pensioner in half a season.

I would take cousins, if he would accept the same deal manning took five years ago.

No thanks to rivers or brees, I like Macarron, but if we are putting the franchise on the back of a average to good quarterback, I would rather have a cheaper option.

We would need to draft high, and bring in a vet and let them plus Kelly and whoever else is on the roster compete

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Sloter and Kelly battle it out in camp next year. Done.
    The only battle Kelly will be dealing with is his OWN demons.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I get that side of it, but people need to realize even IF we find the right QB, it may be 2-3 years of struggle. It's rare that you find that diamond in the rough that is instantly pro bowl ready.

TS more likely than not won't be that guy, could be, but we'll probably draft someone next year, but in the meantime he's what we've got so hopefully we can be patient and understand Rome wasn't built in a day.
    If circumstances were different he'd never have made the team - had Sanchez not shit the bed he probably would have been cut. He's not owed patience - he's a starting QB in a great situation. The mother ****** isn't a cookie and we're not standing over the oven making sure he's not getting burned. You're either the real deal or you're not.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

We're gonna Sloter the competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    We're gonna Sloter the competition!
    I want to believe in the young man so I'm going to. I want to believe that TS will be more than a vanilla whitebread mayonnaise slice. So I'm going to. But if he sucks, or is just meh, he should be booed everywhere he goes and be forced to wear a cone of shame!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    If circumstances were different he'd never have made the team - had Sanchez not shit the bed he probably would have been cut. He's not owed patience - he's a starting QB in a great situation. The mother ****** isn't a cookie and we're not standing over the oven making sure he's not getting burned. You're either the real deal or you're not.
    If circumstances were different, CJ and Harris wouldn't be on this team. He won the job, twice.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Waiting for a 100% Chad Kelly.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

I just heard Tom Brady bought a house in Denver...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information