Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos QB going forward - where to find one if Siemian isn't the answer in 2018

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I think Elway with give lynch another year. He knew he was drafting a project. And you got maintain a great team being the browns and drafting a 1st round QB every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    I think Elway with give lynch another year. He knew he was drafting a project. And you got maintain a great team being the browns and drafting a 1st round QB every 2 years.
    I think if we'd seen growth and he just wasn't quite there, I'd agree with you, but IMO he regressed. He may get another year, but we'll have someone else he'll be competing with, he's going to have a very hard uphill battle if he expects to ever win a starting job and we've really never seen him overly eager to put in the work needed. Heck, he thought he'd done enough to win the job this year when everyone could tell that was laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    They're going to have to sell out and get a top 3 pick because they won't be bad enough anytime soon to be able to pick that high.
    That's basically been my hope/expectation for a while, unless we just flat get lucky with a lower guy. That said, the collective career arcs of QBs over the past couple decades suggest late 1st rounders are about as likely to do as much as even the #1 overall pick, mainly because NEITHER has very GOOD chances: Just several times better than anyone and everyone drafted lower. Statistically, #32~#1, and both about twice as good as #33—#64, then you might as well draw names out of a hat.

I wouldn't mess with Brees or Rivers unless they can make a really sweet deal.
    I strongly second that also. Slightly less so for Rivers, who's younger and played several seasons under McCoy. Brees though... OK, Denver had the oldest starting QB to EVER win a SB when Elway did at 38, then broke that record when Manning did it at 39, but that doesn't mean we can do it a THIRD time with Brees at 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    QB orchard. Rain has been strong this year, will be good harvest in 2018. Siemian sucking means a crappy record and legit pick among several prospects.
    If next years QB class truly is deep and broad, well, this is what I've been advocating for a while, either by "mortgaging the future" to trade into the top five or gritting our teeth and riding the best of our bad current QBs long enough he proves that he's either 1) a franchise QB or 2) never will be, in which case we'll get a top five pick naturally (if painfully.) There's only path to a Von Miller; trying to make the playoffs annually AND draft HoFers annually is why Shanny doesn't coach Denver anymore.

As for Brady: He's done. This is the year the wheels come off the bus in flames.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. —Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

It's basically all Denver is missing. The team is good enough everywhere else to compete for titles for a few years. I think that's why some of us are so hard on Trevor.

Denver desperately needs good QB play in a hurry.

5. The Following 5 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

It's basically all Denver is missing. The team is good enough everywhere else to compete for titles for a few years. I think that's why some of us are so hard on Trevor.

Now, there I disagree; part of why I was all-in on waiting for a decent QB draft and a decently low pick was because I felt (and still do) that even if we DID manage to get our hands on the next John Elway, failing to first transform our Swiss cheese line into some semblance of run support to relieve the figurative pressure and pass protection to relieve the LITERAL pressure would ruin him in short order. What's the difference between Tony Romo and Dak Prescott?

Answer: All the people who laughed at Jerry Jones for spending a 1st round pick on a C in 2013. The year I groused about drafting Sly in the 1st when we already had Big Vick and Potroast but NO offensive linemen, only to be told Sly was sure-fire can't miss 1st rounder who'd make me eat my words for a decade. Turns out he couldn't even stay on the team HALF that long. Meanwhile, Dallas took Zack Martin #16 overall a year later, after already having taken Tyron Smith #9 overall in 2011, and upgraded Doug Free to La'el Collins for a song when character concerns pushed him out of the draft entirely.

A legit QB is NOT all we're missing: We've got Leary, yeah, but I still think Paradis is underpowered, we still don't know if Bolles will be a legit LT, we still don't know if Watson can stay healthy enough to be a legit RT, and all we have at RG is a big legit question mark. That's before we even get into things like a clear cut choice to start at TE, a slot receiver, a coverage LB who's not just Brandon Marshall trying to be two places at once, a NT worthy of the name, a successor to Malik Jackson....

There's a reason we missed the last postseason, and it wasn't just Siemian punching WAY above a rookie 7th rounders weight.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. —Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

I get that side of it, but people need to realize even IF we find the right QB, it may be 2-3 years of struggle. It's rare that you find that diamond in the rough that is instantly pro bowl ready.

TS more likely than not won't be that guy, could be, but we'll probably draft someone next year, but in the meantime he's what we've got so hopefully we can be patient and understand Rome wasn't built in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I get that side of it, but people need to realize even IF we find the right QB, it may be 2-3 years of struggle. It's rare that you find that diamond in the rough that is instantly pro bowl ready.

TS more likely than not won't be that guy, could be, but we'll probably draft someone next year, but in the meantime he's what we've got so hopefully we can be patient and understand Rome wasn't built in a day.
    True, but for this hypothetical, Siemian shows this year that he isn't a good answer going forward. I'm not convinced that will be the case and think he will likely show a decent first to second year jump, as is often the case, but for the hypothetical, we assume he won't.

The reason is that I think Stafford's contract shows that going after a big name FA QB isn't going to be an option.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Sloter and Kelly battle it out in camp next year. Done.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

10. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

The problem Elway faces is this:

1. You need a top 10 QB to win the SB. He's all about winning the SB. There is an exception once every 10 years for a team with an historically great defense like the '85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens, & the 2015 Broncos. This team has used up it's exception. There will be no repeat performance - not that way.

2. Right now, there's no top 10 Qb on the roster. Paxton flamed out. Trevor is an overachiever, Sloter and Kelly are completely raw & unproven.

3. If Trevor is the next Alex Smith that will be good enough for about 10 wins and a playoff berth. That's not good enough. But, if it looks like Trevor is progressing through the season and especially if he plays well in the playoffs, they will sign him to a long term contract for starter money, and Paxton & Kelly can compete to be the backup.

4. IF Trevor convinces Elway that he's never going to be the next Derek Carr, then things get more complicated. In that case they probably open up the competition to Kelly, Sloter, a 1st or 2nd round pick, and Paxton.

5. If they decide we need a veteran NOW then they make a play for Brees or some other veteran.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Where in the world is there this "talk"?
    Shut the **** up PG! Let my guy come to Denver for Christ sake! You have enough damn rings! lol

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I think this rule applies to any NFL GM: Draft the quarterback you believe is best and available to you in the first or second round, try to develop him for a few years, and keep doing it over and over again until you hit or you get fired.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I think this rule applies to any NFL GM: Draft the quarterback you believe is best and available to you in the first or second round, try to develop him for a few years, and keep doing it over and over again until you hit or you get fired.
    I'm afraid to go back and look at all the playerrs we could have had instead of Paxton Lynch.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I'm afraid to go back and look at all the playerrs we could have had instead of Paxton Lynch.
    That's a useless exercise (no offense). Lynch was the clear consensus pick at that point if Denver went quarterback. Prescott is the obvious replacement here, but no one saw him as any higher than a third round pick.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

That's a useless exercise (no offense). Lynch was the clear consensus pick at that point if Denver went quarterback. Prescott is the obvious replacement here, but no one saw him as any higher than a third round pick.
    I mean guys at other positions. And I realize it's a useless exercise just as a first round QB who can't play is useless.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Exactly. We weren't the only ones that passed on Prescott more than twice!
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information