Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: If they let Kyle Sloter go, I will be pissed

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    It's also a distinct possibility that Sloter is the latest "great undrafted hope" that fans are just sure could be the next TD or Rod Smith, but just winds up being nothing more than camp fodder. If he's still not on the 53 despite the injury to Lynch, then that would make me lean more in that direction.
    You might be right, but I have been watching Denver for over 3 decades and I have never "hyped" an undrafted player. I was hopeful Wesley Duke would turn into something, but I never claimed to see something in him that told me could start on Sundays within a couple of years.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

If only there were a competent vet on the market who has led a team to a Super Bowl and is probably better than any QB we have anyway.
    Probably better at what? Running fast and having a really loud and intimidating cadence? Or throwing the ball from the pocket?

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    You might be right, but I have been watching Denver for over 3 decades and I have never "hyped" an undrafted player. I was hopeful Wesley Duke would turn into something, but I never claimed to see something in him that told me could start on Sundays within a couple of years.
    I actually bought into Wesley Duke too. I thought that guy was gonna be good.

I actually bought into Wesley Duke too. I thought that guy was gonna be good.
    Well, in all fairness he didn't fail due to lack of skill. He had a major injury during the preseason he never came back from

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    But, Joel is right that it's not as simple as "just sign a guy" because that guy isn't going to be given a chance to compete for a starting job. He's going to be cut in a couple of weeks. Little incentive for any established QB to sign here.
    *shrugs* I'd cheerfully take a GUARANTEED $4-5 million for a fortnight of showing up to practice, watching film and holding Siemians clipboard before I was off to the next team whose starting QB injury left them desperate for even a mediocre vet to fill in temporarily. But if I'm Elway and Joseph, I just give that job to Sloter, because when I release HIM the third week of September he goes to the PS without a big cap hit hanging over me the rest of the year.

As for camp spies, well, the quality of their notoriety's going to be directly proportional to the quality of their intel, so anyone our GM, coaches, players and scouts with down time can't pick out of a crowd isn't exactly going to be Gil Brandt. The NFLs GMs probably get a lot more useful information BSing each other on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    If they bring in a vet who is on the 53 on day one, his entire year is guaranteed. For a team with about $9mil in cap space, dumb move for a couple of weeks when the early schedule is easier than the latter half. Let Sloter play backup and cut him when "the bust" comes back.
    Not sure what's so hard to grasp there. I understand (too well) the view that "NO ONE on the current roster is a decent franchise QB prospect," but 1) no one who's already failed with a(t least o)n(e)other team is any more likely to be that guy, but 2) we'd still have to pay any of them handsomely to find out for sure and, most importantly, 3) we're NOT seeking insurance against Siemian and Lynch washing out, just insurance against Siemian getting hurt before Lynch is healthy.

Even if we WERE looking for a Plan D successor to Elway, guys who already had and blew their shot(s) starting for another team are known quantities, while Sloter's a huge unknown, and the few things that are known about him (i.e. his arm, mechanics, mentality and accuracy) are purely positive.

There's your answer. They just named Kizer as their starter. They are committed to him. Sounds loony to me, but they're the Browns. They do stuff like that all time.
    I was aware of their announcement when I typed that. Kizer's no ones first choice for franchise QB, and most likely to become the latest entry in the seemingly interminable volumes of Why Notre Dame Players Generally and QBs in Particular Are More Absurdly Overrated than Even SEC Alumni. If they had a better choice, they'd take it, and there's no reason to believe Sloter wouldn't qualify. This isn't a case of some feel good offseason story all the scouts and coaches have seen and rejected, it's a guy they're only just now getting the chance to see, and many are taking notice: Else he wouldn't be on our roster (nor anyones) at all.

And Brock never had a real chance to win the job. First they basically bought a first round pick with $16 M in cap space they weren't going to spend anyway. Second, they found that there was no trade market for Brock, so they were eating the money anyway. So, Brock is their backup - unless they can get something for him.
    Right: Brock's that pricey-but-putrid failed former starter we'd be looking at to backup Siemian while Lynch heals up, simply because putting Sloter on the 53 for a couple weeks and $465K is "too risky." Not that it'd cost anything like the insane 2017 salary Houston guaranteed Oz, but the Bears are paying Sanchez as much to ride pine "just in case (God forbid!)" as Dallas did a year ago: $2M, which I believe is about what we were paying before realizing even a 7th round rookie can and did outplay him.

Some team will be desperate enough to want Osweiler and give them something for him eventually, or Kaiser will suck horribly enough that they have to put Brock in just to avoid crushing Kizer's confidence. (Like pulling the goalie in hockey when he gives up 5 goals in a period or something).

But, there's no point in starting Brock. He probably sucks as bad as Kizer and even if he doesn't, he's not in their long term plans, so there's no point starting him only to go 6-10 instead of 4-12 or something.
    So you DO understand why paying someone just like Brock to do exactly the same thing but for JUST TWO WEEKS doesn't make sense for us; hooray, consensus.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

If only there were a competent vet on the market who has led a team to a Super Bowl and is probably better than any QB we have anyway.
    You realize he didn't take over and "lead them to a SB" until the year AFTER they only lost the NFCCG to one of Elis Cinderella teams in OT, right? It's more likely SF threw away their SB by trading Smith, who's still starting and competing for championships while Kaepernicks dumpster fire has decided it's better off without him. It's not like Smith is a bad QB; and hasn't had a decent WR since he left SF (his best, by far and for several years now, is a TE.) There's an argument he's NEVER had a good WR: Tell the truth, how great has Michael Crabtree looked since Smith left SF? Not as good as Anquan Boldin looked before arriving....

I know he plays for the Chiefs, so folks around here love dogging Smith every week of every year, but every time we play him I keep thinking the same thing: Thank God his WRs refuse to catch all those balls he keeps dropping in their laps.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

So,many times camp fodder looks amazing in preseason and flame out. He is going to PS. They drafted Kelly to be QB3 and or lynch bust protection. .

9. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    it also signals an iron commitment to Operation Pax Can Read.
    lmao! pretty much this. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    There was a Denver "insider" a week or two ago who (don't remember who he was) stated the locker room felt like Sloter had a better grasp on the playbook than the other 2 quarterbacks.
    it was tyler polumbus. . .

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    lmao! pretty much this. . .

it was tyler polumbus. . .
    I thought it was Tyler, but didn't want to name drop without being certain.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    So,many times camp fodder looks amazing in preseason and flame out. He is going to PS. They drafted Kelly to be QB3 and or lynch bust protection. .
    I deeply doubt that part about Kelly. Realistically, Kelly was drafted "a single spot above" Sloter, because everyone after Kelly went to whoever dialed their phone fastest. The differences are that Sloter's actually playing right now and his attitude is the exact opposite of Kellys: Where one is entitled, irresponsible and even DANGEROUS, the other worked his ass off doing anything and everything he can to contribute however he can. That's why Draft Day found one of them with a degree and a job offer from a financial firm, and the other just waiting by his phone hoping to burst into tears if someone—ANYONE—called: "HELLO?!!! Oh, hi, gramma; no, nothing yet.... "

I'm not saying Sloter's a future HoFer, but I'd bet on him before Kelly, which is pretty sad considering which one already has a HoFer in the family.

Tyler Polumbus mentioned the wonderlic so a quick Google returned this blurb from Mile High Report.

The new offensive scheme is particularly exciting to Sloter, an athletic gunslinger who clocked as the third-fastest passer (58 mph) and the second fastest quarterback (4.6 in the 40) in the 2017 NFL Draft class. And with a 38 on the Wonderlic - best of all Combine QBs - Sloter has enjoyed being a student of the new scheme.
    https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...er-quarterback

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Tyler Polumbus mentioned the wonderlic so a quick Google returned this blurb from Mile High Report.

I liked what Polumbus was saying there. Doesn't give much to the wonderlic score outside of qb's. For qb's it's important. Lynch scored what on his again? And he isn't grasping the playbook or reading a defense. I think there is something to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post

For whatever it's worth, that College Football Metrics article claimed Sloters ball speed was also second among rookies, not third, and a mere 1 mph off the #1 mark. The biggest thing is that this guy has lived the whole "Be ready; you'll only get ONE shot—maybe not even that!" thing throughout college, and it shows. He's humble, yet confident; combined with a big arm and quick feet, there's not much more an NFL starter needs. Accuracy and vision, but Sloter's shown those too.

Getting lucky enough to lock down the starting AND backup QB spot with just a 7th rounder and an UDFA is the kind of thing GMs dream of: I'd really hate to see us blow that just because of a fixation on Lynchs draft position or Kellys pedigree. Sloter won't reach the PS now; there are too many QB-desperate teams with no better options who'll figure he's more promising and MUCH cheaper than keeping say, Gabbert, Kessler or one of the McCowns waiting in the wings for their current starter to blow it.

Drew Bledsoe wasn't just a 1st round pick, he was the #1 overall pick: He still lost the starting job to a 6th rounder, then wound up starting for his old coach Bill Parcells in Dallas—until benched for an UDFA. EVERYONE who makes an NFL roster has the physical tools; the question is who has the brains and maturity to make the most of them. We can say Sloter only faced backup defenses, but the bottom line remains that our rookie UDFA looked much better than our sophomore 1st rounder with the same 2nd and 3rd string teammates against the same 2nd and 3rd string defenders.

17. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

GEM

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I would put my money on Sloter being a successful QB before Kelly ever would be. You can't fix the mental midget that Kelly is.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I like how the Broncos pretend that they're SO GOOD at other positions that they can't keep 3 QB's. Their depth isn't what it used to be.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information