Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Houston is a fast growing city that has overdeveloped over areas that originally used to absorb water. We will make it through this, but there needs to be additional drainage to accompany the rapid development of our neighborhoods. I managed to make it out of town (for a wedding flight I had booked weeks ago) and am fortunate to not have a home in a flood prone neighborhood, but our city becomes more and more vulnerable each year. The tax day floods 2 years ago were a major warning sign that our city's infrastructure are no longer equipped to handle heavy rain. The total property damage bill for Henry is going to far eclipse Ike, would have probably been better for the city to have taken a direct hit rather than this "get hit by the dirty end of the storm then get boomeranged" crap. This whole situation just completely sucks.
    Unfortunately, this is almost like that perfect storm movie, but in this case, it wasn't storms converging, but a hurricane with no jet stream (or steering mechanism or whatever they call it). So, while not historic rains per se (other hurricanes/tropical storms have dumped more), it hit a low lying city with drainage issues as you mention.

I was reading that on average it's only 50' above sea level or something like that and very flat and much of it is on clay, which doesn't drain well. I know where I am, on a hill so I mostly get run off, when we've had heavy rains of several inches in an our, I quickly get several inches of standing water in any non hilly area, because under a few inches of top soil I'm red clay, which doesn't drain worth crap.

Question is can a city that big and sprawling put in drainage to handle this much rain? Or, is it something that a low/flat city just has to hope for good luck, and deal with bad luck?

Times like these I'm glad I live a long way from the gulf and live on a hill, so even if we get a flood, it doesn't touch me and only small parts of our town, mostly it's farm fields (being in the foothills of the Ozarks).

Glad you aren't in a floor prone area.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Wife's parents live in Garden Oaks just north of the 610, they are G2G so far. Their rental property might be toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

3. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Houston is a fast growing city that has overdeveloped over areas that originally used to absorb water. We will make it through this, but there needs to be additional drainage to accompany the rapid development of our neighborhoods. I managed to make it out of town (for a wedding flight I had booked weeks ago) and am fortunate to not have a home in a flood prone neighborhood, but our city becomes more and more vulnerable each year. The tax day floods 2 years ago were a major warning sign that our city's infrastructure are no longer equipped to handle heavy rain. The total property damage bill for Henry is going to far eclipse Ike, would have probably been better for the city to have taken a direct hit rather than this "get hit by the dirty end of the storm then get boomeranged" crap. This whole situation just completely sucks.
    They might need a New Orleans style drainage system. Except one that local government actually keeps in working order, that would probably help.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Unfortunately, this is almost like that perfect storm movie, but in this case, it wasn't storms converging, but a hurricane with no jet stream (or steering mechanism or whatever they call it). So, while not historic rains per se (other hurricanes/tropical storms have dumped more), it hit a low lying city with drainage issues as you mention.

I was reading that on average it's only 50' above sea level or something like that and very flat and much of it is on clay, which doesn't drain well. I know where I am, on a hill so I mostly get run off, when we've had heavy rains of several inches in an our, I quickly get several inches of standing water in any non hilly area, because under a few inches of top soil I'm red clay, which doesn't drain worth crap.

Question is can a city that big and sprawling put in drainage to handle this much rain? Or, is it something that a low/flat city just has to hope for good luck, and deal with bad luck?

Times like these I'm glad I live a long way from the gulf and live on a hill, so even if we get a flood, it doesn't touch me and only small parts of our town, mostly it's farm fields (being in the foothills of the Ozarks).

Glad you aren't in a floor prone area.
    They can install pumps to move the drainage, same as New Orleans has. They would need a hell of a system and it would likely take a decade or more to complete, but they could have a portion of a system installed and helping before next hurricane season. Now's the time to do it, there's already a ton of rebuilding that is going to be happening and the pumping systems should start in the areas hardest hit I would think. Houston is quite a bit larger than New Orleans, but we're also in a worse predicament with drainage. We have a system of 120 pumps in the City itself (quite a few more when you count Jefferson Parish as well). Some are massive, as large as a 2 car garage, some are about the size of a Volkswagen beetle, but all push water into Lake Pontchartain or some other body of water we're completely surrounded by.

6. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Sr and family are still doing well. He said the rain has slowed and he actually drove around his neighborhood, was able to hit up the store and get some more food, etc.

8. The Following 8 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Sr and family are still doing well. He said the rain has slowed and he actually drove around his neighborhood, was able to hit up the store and get some more food, etc.
    Why doesn't he post anymore?

inquiring minds

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

They can install pumps to move the drainage, same as New Orleans has. They would need a hell of a system and it would likely take a decade or more to complete, but they could have a portion of a system installed and helping before next hurricane season. Now's the time to do it, there's already a ton of rebuilding that is going to be happening and the pumping systems should start in the areas hardest hit I would think. Houston is quite a bit larger than New Orleans, but we're also in a worse predicament with drainage. We have a system of 120 pumps in the City itself (quite a few more when you count Jefferson Parish as well). Some are massive, as large as a 2 car garage, some are about the size of a Volkswagen beetle, but all push water into Lake Pontchartain or some other body of water we're completely surrounded by.
    This just came through my Twitter timeline and caught my eye after you mentioned the pumping system:

.@SteveOsunsami: New Orleans working to repair about one-dozen pumps, clear thousands of clogged drains amid #Harvey

12. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

I wish I could go help

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Send Tubby down there. The dutch have it figured out.

Houston is a great city. I wish everyone well.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I wish I could go help
    You and me both. We've sent a ton of helicopters, fixed wing cargo planes, and supplies out there but I want to be boots on ground in Houston offering any assistance I can. I busted my ass after Katrina here in New Orleans, I hate sitting here reading the news wishing there was something I could do beyond donations and well wishes. Once the flood waters recede and they reopen the city I might take some leave and go out there.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

it's a nice city, way bigger than I thought it was. The zoning rules or non-rules are kinda weird though

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

You and me both. We've sent a ton of helicopters, fixed wing cargo planes, and supplies out there but I want to be boots on ground in Houston offering any assistance I can. I busted my ass after Katrina here in New Orleans, I hate sitting here reading the news wishing there was something I could do beyond donations and well wishes. Once the flood waters recede and they reopen the city I might take some leave and go out there.
    I'm hoping to do the same thing. My uncle's situation in Port Arthur changed overnight. He woke up to 10 inches in his bedroom this morning. I was a little worried but he got rescued pretty quick.

My boss is thinking about selling his portable drying furnace to a contractor down there. I told him I would drive it down if he let me stay for a few days to help out where my uncle lives in Port Arthur. I could at least moisture map houses on my uncles street and get demo crews lined out on what can be saved and what needs cut. I would prefer to stay for at least a week, but I'm still living pay check to pay check.....Well, I do have a week of vacation time available

21. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

23. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information