Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Right tackle

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Default Right tackle

Is anybody else concerned with the Right Tackle position? Both Watson and Stephenson have been awful in pass protection two games into preseason. Watson is an ok run blocker but awful at pass protection. Stephenson is just plain awful at both. Lang looks better than either of them but against 3rd string defenses. I hate to say it but if Denver doesn't add another RT soon we will have yet another year with the RT position being a huge liability.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    Is anybody else concerned with the Right Tackle position? Both Watson and Stephenson have been awful in pass protection two games into preseason. Watson is an ok run blocker but awful at pass protection. Stephenson is just plain awful at both. Lang looks better than either of them but against 3rd string defenses. I hate to say it but if Denver doesn't add another RT soon we will have yet another year with the RT position being a huge liability.
    I don't think Watson has been awful. I would have to rewatch and focus on him, but I know he gave up the sack early (along with Garcia allowing inside pressure), but think he's been mostly solid since. I know someone posted that the Broncos right side graded out very well (maybe tops) throughout the whole NFL in the second week.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Watson will be fine as long as he's healthy. That's always been his biggest issue.

6. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

hugely concerned. . . it's going to be a giant black hole of suck once again. . .

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Me too. I wasn't a fan of the Watson signing.

Adopted Bronco:

I watched both games and watched the play of the OL in slow mo (I had a lot of free time this past weekend), Watson gets beat by speed rush and misdirection's often, pretty solid on bull rushes and run blocking. Stephenson is straight up awful in all aspects. McGovern has been rock solid at center which surprised me. When Paradis makes it back I'd like to see McGovern compete at LG. Leary solid, Garcia inconsistent, Barber slightly better than Garcia. Bolles football strength is weak at this stage, very obvious on bull rushes, has quick feet and ands though. Bolles first FL snap would have been a sack if Watson wasn't beaten so badly. Ty played great against the Bears but had some issues against the Niners but still better than years past.

All in all it seems like a better OL this year, especially run blocking but what I've seen at RT concerns me.

11. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Me too. I wasn't a fan of the Watson signing.
    Now I know why my Raider buddies were so happy. Mack is going to destroy Watson.

13. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

The Broncos have serious problems at both OT positions. Bolles looks like he will be good - when he learns how to play in the league, but in his first game he had 4 holding penalties, which in a regular season game would go a long way towards guaranteeing a loss.

RT has been pretty bad. Watson has been surprisingly inept. If he plays like this the whole season, we have the RT equivalent of Russell Okung.

As for Max Garcia, he's on the bubble. They are keeping 8 or 10 OL. If it's 8 he's gone. VJ just said that he values versatility - backups who can play multiple positions on the OL.

Well, that's NOT Max Garcia. He can only play LG, he was tried at RG and sucked so bad they had to move Leary away from his natural position at LG to give Garcia a chance. Only he fumbled the ball.

I assumed Schofield would be cut because he's Schofield. But, my attitude seems to be wrong. Schofield can play both RT and G in a pinch and that would probably make him more valuable than Garcia, if Garcia isn't starting. And he's not.

15. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Bolles is an upgrade at LT.

#BollesIsAnUpgrade@LT
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

17. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Trade for Trenton Brown, go back and watch 49ers v Broncos, he just don't fit ZBS.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Trade for Trenton Brown, go back and watch 49ers v Broncos, he just don't fit ZBS.
    Not going to happen. Tackles are going to be Boles and Watson. The only question on the line is Garcia/Barbre.

Hopefully, the tackles are better than last year (it would be hard not to be).

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Not going to happen. Tackles are going to be Boles and Watson. The only question on the line is Garcia/Barbre.

Hopefully, the tackles are better than last year (it would be hard not to be).
    I like Watson, I don't like Garcia.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I like Watson, I don't like Garcia.
    Well, Watson has played well in the league before (during the healthy 1/2 of his career), but Garcia has never played particularly well. He's done great in the run game at times, but at other times he would get out of synch with his linemates which is always a disaster.

They gave him every chance to win the starting LG job and it doesn't look like he did it. We'll see in the final two pre-season games, but he's definitely on the bubble, and Brandon Stokely just said on the radio "Uh, oh!" when assessing his chances of making the team. "If you're not starting you have to be versatile. That's the rule of the NFL. If you're starting you can get away with not playing more than 1 position, but if you're backing up, you need to be capable of playing multiple positions. So, if Garcia can't do that that's a problem." [VJ said publicly that Garcia "is a left guard" and that they have no intention of ever renewing the failed experiment at RG with him.]

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, Watson has played well in the league before (during the healthy 1/2 of his career), but Garcia has never played particularly well. He's done great in the run game at times, but at other times he would get out of synch with his linemates which is always a disaster.

They gave him every chance to win the starting LG job and it doesn't look like he did it. We'll see in the final two pre-season games, but he's definitely on the bubble, and Brandon Stokely just said on the radio "Uh, oh!" when assessing his chances of making the team. "If you're not starting you have to be versatile. That's the rule of the NFL. If you're starting you can get away with not playing more than 1 position, but if you're backing up, you need to be capable of playing multiple positions. So, if Garcia can't do that that's a problem." [VJ said publicly that Garcia "is a left guard" and that they have no intention of ever renewing the failed experiment at RG with him.]
    Schofield will be the swing G I bet, and while Garcia can (and probably should) play C there's no use for that with McGovern finally filling that role.

Sampro, Schofield and Stephenson are versatile. I'd prefer they keep Turner over Sampro.

However, the problem right now with Garcia is shit awareness, making C a shit idea.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 08-26-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

23. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information