Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Paxton

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    What is Paxton's trade value?
    A fifth rounder, maybe a fourth, but I think that would be pushing it. If you have a team with an OC/QB coach that thinks he can make the difference (we've seen that a lot over the years), then maybe someone offers a bit more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Lynch is very raw and needs time to develop.
    Is there proof that Lynch has the ability to 'develop'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Is there proof that Lynch has the ability to 'develop'?
    Yes. He's a first round pick with a high ceiling. It's been established that scouts always get it right. /sarcasm

Serious answer. No, obviously not, but when you look at what the upside would be if he does, it's worth giving the kid some more time.

4. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yes. He's a first round pick with a high ceiling. It's been established that scouts always get it right. /sarcasm

Serious answer. No, obviously not, but when you look at what the upside would be if he does, it's worth giving the kid some more time.
    "if he does"

It seems wrong to me to sidestep the central question.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

"if he does"

It seems wrong to me to sidestep the central question.
    We would have to have "the vision" and a crystal ball to know if it's an "if" or "when." It's impossible to know if he will improve or how much he will.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

What is Paxton's trade value?
    Jets. Jags. Still LF a prospect.

Prolly could get a 3rd.

Or a player at least.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

We would have to have "the vision" and a crystal ball to know if it's an "if" or "when." It's impossible to know if he will improve or how much he will.
    This attitude--throws hands in air--is markedly different than the attitude that presents data regarding 1st year QB performance. It's not impossible to measure a developing QB's progress, we just don't have quick access to the data.

This attitude--throws hands in air--is markedly different than the attitude that presents data regarding 1st year QB performance. It's not impossible to measure a developing QB's progress, we just don't have quick access to the data.
    There is a difference. Siemian is good enough to be an NFL starter, not just on the Broncos, but quite a few teams. So, the fact that he started 14.5 games, we can compare his performance (not potential) against other first year starters.

In Lynch, we have a guy that was a 2-3 year project and that couldn't beat out Siemian as a rookie or second year player. To our eyes, in limited playing time, he doesn't seem markedly improved, but the coaches claim he has made strides. Considering last year he was working on skills like repeating plays on the sideline, because in college he was never asked to call a play in a huddle, he had a long way to go.

There is absolutely no way to know if Lynch can develop, other than to give it time and see if he does develop. The same way there is no way to know if Siemian will get better in his 2nd or 3rd year starting, unless he gets a second and third year. All the talk of him already reaching his ceiling or being able to do much better with a better line and running game is nothing more than speculation. Siemian has to go and prove it. Lynch has to go and prove whether he can develop into a starting QB, there is no way to know if he can.

10. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I disagree with points 1 and 3, but if you are right then I am stoked to be wrong.

For #2, I don't see either Lynch or, e.g., Sloter winning games as QB unless they are carried by the rest of the team. Amending the playbook for Lynch...I guess? Would rather not have to find out because that sounds to me like an offense that is easier to limit.
    Teams typically don't carry 3 QBs. Do you really think a team is going to sign Sloter to their 53 man roster as a QB2?

He will be on the PS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

There is a difference. Siemian is good enough to be an NFL starter, not just on the Broncos, but quite a few teams. So, the fact that he started 14.5 games, we can compare his performance (not potential) against other first year starters.

In Lynch, we have a guy that was a 2-3 year project and that couldn't beat out Siemian as a rookie or second year player. To our eyes, in limited playing time, he doesn't seem markedly improved, but the coaches claim he has made strides. Considering last year he was working on skills like repeating plays on the sideline, because in college he was never asked to call a play in a huddle, he had a long way to go.

There is absolutely no way to know if Lynch can develop, other than to give it time and see if he does develop. The same way there is no way to know if Siemian will get better in his 2nd or 3rd year starting, unless he gets a second and third year. All the talk of him already reaching his ceiling or being able to do much better with a better line and running game is nothing more than speculation. Siemian has to go and prove it. Lynch has to go and prove whether he can develop into a starting QB, there is no way to know if he can.
    Siemian flashed sufficient ability in his rookie year that we felt obligated to keep 3 QBs on a Super Bowl winning roster.

Paxton hasn't flashed that ability. He's just getting by on pedigree. Or in other words, I think we know more than you suggest at this stage. We should probably look hard at trading Paxton this offseason if we feel like Sloter and Kelly are on the come.

13. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Siemian flashed sufficient ability in his rookie year that we felt obligated to keep 3 QBs on a Super Bowl winning roster.

Paxton hasn't flashed that ability. He's just getting by on pedigree. Or in other words, I think we know more than you suggest at this stage. We should probably look hard at trading Paxton this offseason if we feel like Sloter and Kelly are on the come.
    Unless the 2-3 projections on him were correct, and then he might be worth waiting for. How Siemian does this year, combined with Kelly's health and lack of shooting up any nightclubs, along with how the Broncos feel about Sloter could go a long way in determining if they want to wait on Paxton.

It's only a guess, but my guess is that Joseph is serious when he talks about how a coaching staff loves the idea of a QB with Lynch's physical tools. The fact that the reports are that Lynch is dramatically improved in shorts and one on one type drills, but starts to struggle in padded, team drills and non scripted, tells me that he's starting to get the fundamentals down, but is still having to think too much when it comes to real scenario-based football.

That part could become more second nature to him with more time, and let him just go out and focus on making plays, rather than thinking hard to not make mistakes.

On the flip side, his apparently inability to go through his progressions and scan the whole field maybe something he can never overcome. I just think it's too early to know, and the upside to it "clicking" when he's a Broncos is more valuable than a mid to late round pick we might get for him.

15. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Holy shit, I just figured it out. Defective eclipse glasses have caused hawgs brain to melt. Others are showing symptoms as well. We're gonna miss you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Teams typically don't carry 3 QBs. Do you really think a team is going to sign Sloter to their 53 man roster as a QB2?

He will be on the PS.
    Probably, but there is precedent for claiming UDFA QB after cuts. His preseason film is of a quality similar to other highly drafted rookie QBs. Some reports of scouts that hoped to nab him after the draft, and now he's got real film.

There are some teams with QB questions, and about 10-20 teams will carry 3, including a developing player. Is Sloter a better use of a roster spot than a Nathan Peterman, Cooper Rush, Brad Kaaya, Dan Orlovsky, Nate Sudfeld, or Thaddeus Lewis? It would not surprise me if some front offices out there felt the answer is yes.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Cut the bitch.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Cut the bitch.

You know, the more I think about it and watch his presser, the more I don't like the kid.

"I'm not sure, specifically, what I need to do."

I get he was upset he wasn't chosen - but comeon. He is a little bitch.
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 08-22-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: corrected quote

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information