Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Cut Paxton

Yeah it's over.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

We were up 2 TDs when Paxton went in the game last night. Get rid of this bum. No reason for him to take any more reps away from CK,because there is no future with this bust
    https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/17/pa...camp-preseason

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quit spazzing out. He is a camp arm.

4. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Just a few days ago you were saying Elway was forcing Paxton on VJ and Kelly had zero chance of making the squad...
    That's exactly what I thought he was doing. Had he not held stubbornly on to Paxton in the draft? Did he not say when people asked him why he failed to draft a QB in the entire draft, when most people had that as a key need for the Broncos - to get their "future franchise QB."

Everybody assumed that will never be Paxton, so the Broncos need - in addition to Keenum, a future franchise QB prospect.

And Elway said in response to that "we're not just going to kick Paxton to the curb."

My Take: Dear God, why not? WHY NOT? WHY NOT? What on earth could you Elway need to see more at this point? That some invisible light will suddenly go off in Paxton's head and turn him from a total goof-ball into Peyton Manning's work ethic?

Dude was and is what he is. What more can he be. By now I don't think he even wants to be in the league. He looks defeated out there mentally. I think that's what happens to QBs who wash out of the league. They are trying as hard as they can, but they aren't getting good results. It's a competitive league and they are just getting beaten by the competition. Someone has to lose and they are the ones losing.

They see their careers sliding mechanically step by step towards the precipice. They try to avoid it, but it just gets closer and closer, while they stare, zombie eyed at prospect of being fired.

By now there is nothing left of Paxton's ambition. I think he wants it to end, like a mercy killing. The Broncos are cruelly going to keep him on the roster through the end of the pre-season while trying to find a trade partner who will assume part of Paxton's salary cap hit of $4.5m.

Whether they cut him at this point depends on whether they can afford the cap hit, or find a trade partner who will assume a portion of the contract. They don't even care about getting any value back for Paxton at this point. It could be a "conditional 7th rounder" meaning that the other team would owe Denver a 7th round pick - but only IF Paxton made their roster.

If he got cut, they would owe Denver nothing, but if he was on their opening day roster, a 7th rounder.

They will have trouble getting even that much for him, more's the pity.

6. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Lynch and Christian Hackenberg are now officially joined at the hip:

The 2016 NFL draft is a case of have and have-nots when it comes to the quarterbacks. The same draft that gave us Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and Dak Prescott also gave us... Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg. On the eve of their third NFL season, we’re due to check in on the have-nots.

Hackenberg, who was picked in the second round of the 2016 draft by the Jets, spent two mystifying seasons in New York where he never once took a regular-season snap. In May, New York traded him to Oakland, who released him three weeks later. Hackenberg was unemployed until the Eagles signed him last Sunday. And in his first practice reps as an Eagle on Tuesday, he threw ... two interceptions. Hackenberg was reportedly going to get a few snaps in last night’s preseason game against the Patriots, but even after Nick Foles exited with a shoulder strain, Nate Sudfeld and Joe Callahan took over QB responsibilities for Philadelphia.

Lynch, the Broncos first-rounder in 2016, is quickly headed the way of Hackenberg, going from franchise quarterback hopeful to third-stringer. After a disappointing preseason performance against the Vikings (6 of 11 for 24 yards, no touchdowns, one interception and a 22.2 passer rating), Denver demoted Lynch to No. 3 on the Broncos’ QB depth chart and promoted 2017 Mr. Irrelevant Chad Kelly behind Case Keenum. Broncos fans booed Lynch off the field, and one fan even started a GoFundMe dedicated to covering the cost of the Broncos cutting Lynch.
    I don't even know what to think about this. At the same moment when Paxton Lynch is flaming out of the league, Sportswriters are saying that Chad Kelly has the strongest arm of any Broncos QB since Jay Cutler.

Cutler failed because he had a piss-poor attitude, but Kelly has been working his butt off ever since he got here. Being Mr. Irrelevant was the last humiliation to this once over-privileged child. IT appears to have wakened him up to the reality "Son, nobody owes you a living. This isn't college and there are no scholarships. You're Mr. Irrelevant, and they can cut you any time at all."

Even now, he had to be incredibly lucky, because if Paxton ever had figured it all out, Chad Kelly would be on his way out of town right now, instead of being ready to become the Broncos backup QB.

Right now, the sky's the limit for Chad Kelly. All he has to do is continue to work and prepare, just like he is currently doing and he will ultimately end up the Broncos starting QB.

Irony, that only the total failure of Paxton Lynch is giving Chad Kelly his big chance. But, he's certainly taking that chance and running off with it so far.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Cugel, can you bump your Elway's genius thread please? It's been a year and it's one of your most entertaining reads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

I don't even know what to think about this. At the same moment when Paxton Lynch is flaming out of the league, Sportswriters are saying that Chad Kelly has the strongest arm of any Broncos QB since Jay Cutler.

Cutler failed because he had a piss-poor attitude, but Kelly has been working his butt off ever since he got here. Being Mr. Irrelevant was the last humiliation to this once over-privileged child. IT appears to have wakened him up to the reality "Son, nobody owes you a living. This isn't college and there are no scholarships. You're Mr. Irrelevant, and they can cut you any time at all."

Even now, he had to be incredibly lucky, because if Paxton ever had figured it all out, Chad Kelly would be on his way out of town right now, instead of being ready to become the Broncos backup QB.

Right now, the sky's the limit for Chad Kelly. All he has to do is continue to work and prepare, just like he is currently doing and he will ultimately end up the Broncos starting QB.

Irony, that only the total failure of Paxton Lynch is giving Chad Kelly his big chance. But, he's certainly taking that chance and running off with it so far.
    Sort of helps when he has two hof QBs who both had reputations for being very arrogant teaching him. Kelly NEEDED to be humbled. Hell, we all need that lesson in life.

One of the most poisonous things that humans experience is when they are surrounded by a bunch of sycophants. It ruins people. Just research the Roman Emperors.

Aaannnyway, lets just HOPE he continues to do the right things and STAYS HEALTHY. That is my main concern, cause he has that injury prone body.

Yeah, getting back to Jim Kelly and Elway. Jim Kelly especially had a horrible reputation for his arrogance. There are stories that still exist of his exploits when he was at the U down here in Miami. The disgraceful way he treated Buffalo for having the gall to draft him in the first round. I remember it was like 1989 or so and there was almost mutiny on the team. Kelly's teammates really turned on him. Elway had a real rep and he still sort of does. Those 3 humiliating losses in the SB really knocked him down from that pedestal.

You get the point. Chad Kelly is surrounded by people that know the path he was on. That should help him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

It's not really fair or accurate to call Jay Cutler a failure as an NFL quarterback. Cutler's time in Denver was plagued by a lack of defensive talent, and his time in Chicago was plagued by a lack of an offensive line. Guy still had a respectable NFL career.

I'm liking what I see out of Chad Kelly so far, and he definitely does have a lot of upside. I like him over any current free agent QB to be the backup.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    It's not really fair or accurate to call Jay Cutler a failure as an NFL quarterback. Cutler's time in Denver was plagued by a lack of defensive talent, and his time in Chicago was plagued by a lack of an offensive line. Guy still had a respectable NFL career.

I'm liking what I see out of Chad Kelly so far, and he definitely does have a lot of upside. I like him over any current free agent QB to be the backup.
    Sorry, i disagree wholeheartedly about poopy pants cutler. He cost a few coaches their jobs. He never really came close to the FRANCHISE QB title. He was not worth one first rounder, let alone 2 firsts, a 3rd and Orton. Yes, Orton did better here than cutler did.

He had one play off win against a Seahawks team that was 7-9 that season.

It would have been respectable if he was not drafted in the first round. He did not really come close to meeting the potential everyone said he had.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Sorry, i disagree wholeheartedly about poopy pants cutler. He cost a few coaches their jobs. He never really came close to the FRANCHISE QB title. He was not worth one first rounder, let alone 2 firsts, a 3rd and Orton. Yes, Orton did better here than cutler did.

He had one play off win against a Seahawks team that was 7-9 that season.

It would have been respectable if he was not drafted in the first round. He did not really come close to meeting the potential everyone said he had.
    Orton did not do better than Cutler here.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Sort of helps when he has two hof QBs who both had reputations for being very arrogant teaching him. Kelly NEEDED to be humbled. Hell, we all need that lesson in life.

One of the most poisonous things that humans experience is when they are surrounded by a bunch of sycophants. It ruins people. Just research the Roman Emperors.
    Hell, we don't have to go back as far as the Roman Emperors. Just look at the spoiled children of very rich people right now today! They act like super-entitled morons! What do they care? Life takes care of them, whether they can manage to remain sober for 8 hours at a time or not. Being smart or working hard at anything is simply not necessary.

And if they get into too much trouble, there's very expensive rehab clinics where they can be held out of sight of the public, while their lawyers cut a deal with the prosecuting attorney.

Aaannnyway, lets just HOPE he continues to do the right things and STAYS HEALTHY. That is my main concern, cause he has that injury prone body.

Yeah, getting back to Jim Kelly and Elway. Jim Kelly especially had a horrible reputation for his arrogance. There are stories that still exist of his exploits when he was at the U down here in Miami. The disgraceful way he treated Buffalo for having the gall to draft him in the first round. I remember it was like 1989 or so and there was almost mutiny on the team. Kelly's teammates really turned on him. Elway had a real rep and he still sort of does. Those 3 humiliating losses in the SB really knocked him down from that pedestal.

You get the point. Chad Kelly is surrounded by people that know the path he was on. That should help him.
    John Elway was humiliated his first season in the NFL, long before any SB loss.
    Elway debuted for the Broncos in the 1983 season opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Three Rivers Stadium. He was sacked for the first time in his NFL career at the hands of linebacker and fellow Hall of Famer Jack Lambert.[22] In his first game, Elway was relieved by veteran quarterback Steve DeBerg, who led the Broncos to a victory. Elway's second game was also on the road at Baltimore, and was spirited by his rejection of the franchise. In what would turn out to be Elway's only professional game in Baltimore,[23] Elway was again relieved in a close game by DeBerg, who led the Broncos to another win.[24] In early October, DeBerg was named the starter by third-year head coach Dan Reeves for the remainder of the season,[25] but a shoulder injury brought Elway back a month later.
    So, he was named the starter, but Steve DeBerg had to rescue the team in relief of Elway in the first two games and win both. So, that's not a great start.

Then he was demoted to #2 QB in October, but 1 month later DeBerg got hurt so they had no choice but to put him back in. In games Elway started the team went 4-6, while Elway himself threw 7 TDs and 14 INTs.

Kelly could never play that badly. He'd be benched long before he could throw 14 INTs.

16. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

He was a starter in the NFL for over ten years. Not many have that.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Orton did not do better than Cutler here.
    Yeah, he did. Sort of.
    Last edited by Broncoknight30; 08-19-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information