Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Read: Nobody Listened on draft night - Now you have no choice

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I'm really not sure where the aloof personality tag is coming from. The kids are goofball. All of his teammates love playing with him in college. You look at him on the sideline and gets along well with his teammates and with Trevor. It is what we thought it was. Everyone hoped that he would come along quicker than he has. But most quarterbacks will say it's year three in a new system before they completely feel comfortable.

Shanahan used to say that about his quarterbacks all the time. So you've got a guy that number one transitioned out of a spread no-huddle offense in college. Learned a new offense West Coast and now is learning a new offense again. I'm not ready to say one way or another whether he's going to get it or not. That last practice against San Francisco looked like he was really making strides.
    Did you see the last practice against SF or are basing your opinion off what was reported?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Practice can totally be misleading though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    so why did he pick him again?

since Broncos obviously need a QB now.
    Probably because the Broncos were picking #32, and all the "now" QBs had been snatched up.
    All that were left were (looking ahead) good backup prospects, except Lynch, whose immense
    *physical* talents gave him the blue-chip potential. At that point in the draft, he was the only
    obvious choice.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I figured he needed a year or two, and that the aforementioned third year was an exaggeration. Now it appears that the third year is the best case scenario.
    My brother, I tried to tell you, but did you listen...

5. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Did you see the last practice against SF or are basing your opinion off what was reported?
    I heard a few minutes of Sandy Clough last night and he was talking about how you need to take any results from a practice in shorts with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    My brother, I tried to tell you, but did you listen...
    It gets competitive between us. Sometimes I am stubborn. I'll true to make it less a competition, but we're proud men...and this is the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

8. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    It gets competitive between us. Sometimes I am stubborn. I'll true to make it less a competition, but we're proud men...and this is the internet, and it pains me to admit that Tned is always right.
    I fixed your post. Somehow the internet cut off that last part...

10. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

"And this is the internet"

I fixed your post. Somehow the internet cut off that last part...
    Blame Comcast.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

13. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    "And this is the internet"
    Go Broncos, you monster!

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Probably because the Broncos were picking #32, and all the "now" QBs had been snatched up.
    All that were left were (looking ahead) good backup prospects, except Lynch, whose immense
    *physical* talents gave him the blue-chip potential. At that point in the draft, he was the only
    obvious choice.
    Hence the problem with insisting on a "now" player at any position, even QB. We had a number of other critical holes that needed upgrades just as badly: MULTIPLE starting offensive line positions that are CRITICAL for ANY young QBs success, not to mention the lack of a dominant complete package TE that can be just as indispensable to inexperienced QBs. And guys like that were there at #31 (remember: Deflategate cost the Cheats a pick, not that tye missed it.)

Selling out on a 1st round QB in a draft where only a couple guys were even considered POTENTIAL starters, with a sharp drop after them, was a needless gamble: It's hard to imagine any situation LESS desperate than "Reigning World Champs," so we had no need to immediately swing for the fences rather than shoring up other weaknesses with studs, while waiting for our pitch(er) in a later draft.

Pulling the trigger on a 1st round QB when there really weren't anyand trading away a pick to move up so we could—put us in a bind where drafting a legit franchise QB prospect this year would have left us with a lot of egg and three seasons worth of 1st round QB contract on our faces, but trying to shore up those other holes now risked repeating the same mistake: Reaching to fill a position in a draft that's very weak at that spot, and bypassing equally necessary but superior talent to do it.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I'm really not sure where the aloof personality tag is coming from. The kids are goofball. All of his teammates love playing with him in college. You look at him on the sideline and gets along well with his teammates and with Trevor. It is what we thought it was. Everyone hoped that he would come along quicker than he has. But most quarterbacks will say it's year three in a new system before they completely feel comfortable.

Shanahan used to say that about his quarterbacks all the time. So you've got a guy that number one transitioned out of a spread no-huddle offense in college. Learned a new offense West Coast and now is learning a new offense again. I'm not ready to say one way or another whether he's going to get it or not. That last practice against San Francisco looked like he was really making strides.
    I'm not worried about interactions with teammates, especially those interactions at the end of a meaningless preseason game (albeit, you could argue yesterday's game wasn't meaningless, but at the same time also point out that the dude is allowed to joke and laugh even if he didn't perform well as he's not required to sulk for days on end because of that. That's ridiculous).

What I am worried about is self-awareness:

“I thought I did pretty well,” Lynch said.
    You didn't do well Paxton. You need to improve. Maybe he was putting on a front for the media, or maybe he really doesn't grasp the magnitude of the situation, I don't know. I'm just not sure about his attitude.

It reminds me of the Osweiler press conference where he told reporters that they could go watch his tape, where we can clearly see he was horrible in Houston last year. Or when he wasn't prepared to enter a blowout (famously captured by CBS cameras).

I'll be clear that I have no idea if he's "aloof" in his personal life, or if he's intelligent, and frankly I don't really care about his wonderlic. But, as a fan in terms of the team and the magnitude of situations, he comes off aloof as did Osweiler at times. And my question is, what is attracting Elway to these quarterbacks?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Hence the problem with insisting on a "now" player at any position, even QB. We had a number of other critical holes that needed upgrades just as badly: MULTIPLE starting offensive line positions that are CRITICAL for ANY young QBs success, not to mention the lack of a dominant complete package TE that can be just as indispensable to inexperienced QBs. And guys like that were there at #31 (remember: Deflategate cost the Cheats a pick, not that tye missed it.)

Selling out on a 1st round QB in a draft where only a couple guys were even considered POTENTIAL starters, with a sharp drop after them, was a needless gamble: It's hard to imagine any situation LESS desperate than "Reigning World Champs," so we had no need to immediately swing for the fences rather than shoring up other weaknesses with studs, while waiting for our pitch(er) in a later draft.

Pulling the trigger on a 1st round QB when there really weren't anyand trading away a pick to move up so we could—put us in a bind where drafting a legit franchise QB prospect this year would have left us with a lot of egg and three seasons worth of 1st round QB contract on our faces, but trying to shore up those other holes now risked repeating the same mistake: Reaching to fill a position in a draft that's very weak at that spot, and bypassing equally necessary but superior talent to do it.
    They didn't sell out, they gave up either a late third or early 4th I believe to move up to pick him. Was it a reach? Maybe, but they weren't the only team considering reaching for Lynch.

Whether they had picked Lynch or picked a QB in the 2nd/3rd, they needed to draft a QB last year. At the moment, it looks like they missed on Lynch.

Let's not forget that right now the Broncos are in a pretty fortunate place, since their 7th round pick is as good or better than any QB drafted in the first round outside of the top 12, not named Rodgers, since 2000.

Too many fans just can't grasp the fact that if you aren't drafting a blue chip QB that goes in the first few picks, the odds are it will be a busted pick or mediocre QB.

Before too much blame is thrown around at Elway, I think people need to start educating themselves on how low the success rate is on first round QBs.

There are NO legit franchise QB prospects unless you are drafting in the top 3 AND it's a GREAT QB class. Most years you are lucky to have one sure thing franchise QB.
    Last edited by Tned; 08-20-2017 at 06:36 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    And my question is, what is attracting Elway to these quarterbacks?
    A lack of options. Hindsight is simple, foresight on QBs is not. History has shown us that time and again.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A lack of options. Hindsight is simple, foresight on QBs is not. History has shown us that time and again.
    Right. I understand that fully. And I pretty much hate the "we should have drafted X guy" two years after the draft. But I'm talking about consistent themes in the attitudes and personalities of quarterbacks drafted high by Elway (and granted, you can pull the small sample size question on my critiques, because it's just two). There's also consistent themes about physical traits, as well. Is there a theme to the two guys he's tried to draft high? Can we learn anything from that? Does he have a blind spot for this specific type of quarterback, does the organization have a blind spot for this specific type of quarterback?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information