Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sloter TD

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    You are hard to please! I am glad that I enjoyed that pedestrian play as much as I did.
    Dude, when the game is on I'm just a fan. FFS, TS made a throw last night that damn near got me out of my seat. This is me in a different mode.

I will say this, your comment made me rethink this a bit. I would think that almost anyone would hit the player. I think most would be able to give their best, or all-star game throw. His all-star game throw looks better than a lot of player's, even some really good QB's, like Brady, for instance. So while he just got to slam dunk it on that play, we could ascretain that his arm would be able to do more on some plays than other guys.

Hitting him was a pedestrian play. The way he did it wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Dude, when the game is on I'm just a fan. FFS, TS made a throw last night that damn near got me out of my seat. This is me in a different mode.

I will say this, your comment made me rethink this a bit. I would think that almost anyone would hit the player. I think most would be able to give their best, or all-star game throw. His all-star game throw looks better than a lot of player's, even some really good QB's, like Brady, for instance. So while he just got to slam dunk it on that play, we could ascretain that his arm would be able to do more on some plays than other guys.

Hitting him was a pedestrian play. The way he did it wasn't.

Slam dunk, that's a great analogy. It was a Blake Griffin highlight posterizing dunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post

Slam dunk, that's a great analogy. It was a Blake Griffin highlight posterizing dunk.
    One of the reasons why I love the boards and dialectics is that two points that are valid can be interchanged in an exchange and made better. A true synthesis. This exchange was great.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    You call a lot of people who disagree with you dumb. We can all appreciate that it was a TD, that it was a fun play, that it looked great. We can also realize that if you miss someone that open with a pocket clean than the Pope's soul you are garbage.
    You're DUMB!!!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

He throws a great ball with very high velocity. When they put him on the gun at the CU pro day he had as much velocity as any quarterback in the last two drafts. His arm strength is not in doubt. Honestly the play that got me more excited about him was when he slid left with the pocket breaking down and rather than breaking and running which any big athletic guy that runs a 4.5 you would think would prefer to do found Raymond. That to me was his signature play of the night.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You're DUMB!!!!!!
    Thanks for the validation.

I remain unconvinced any and all NFL starters have that COMBINATION of range and accuracy. This wasn't Joe Flacco blindly launching a lob in hopes Torrey Smith could run under it. But for sake of argument, let's say equal field vision, precision and arm strength are all routine for each and every one of 32 starting NFL QBs.

I don't recall ANY of OURS making a similar throw since 2013. That includes BOTH guys we started last year.

In itself, that doesn't make Sloter a potential HoFer nor even starter: Maybe it just means we haven't had a starting quality QB since age and a Swiss cheese line reduced Manning to the walking wounded. Yet in the interest of starting "whoever gives us the best chance to win," it IS an argument against both Lynch and Siemian. A weak argument until/unless Sloter replicates, while Lynch and Siemian continue failing to match, that lone throw, but an argument nonetheless.

Ignoring their respective charter fan clubs, the biggest concern about our QB uncertainty is that if Lynch OR Siemian were anything special there would almost certainly be some clear separation between them. As it stands, we were either amazingly lucky to draft a PAIR of perennial Pro Bowlers or NEITHER is franchise QB material. Their performance so far is also an argument, for the second scenario.

Is Sloter the solution to that problem? Almost certainly not, just because of the law of averages. That said, the biggest reason the deck is stacked against late round (let alone undrafted) QBs is that their high profile position coupled with the scale and rigor of NFL scouting makes them largely known quantities after three or four years of college play: Someone lacking that collegiate resume due to circumstances beyond his control is PRECISELY the kind of player who could be an exception.

The only way to know is to put them on the field against real opposition and see who performs best (even if "best" is still pretty bad.) That's why Mark Sanchez was cut and Lynch rode pine last year, while an unknown 7th round sophomore with a single pro SNAP (a kneeldown) and single collegiate season starting wound up at the helm of the reigning World Champs. I have misgivings about McCoy; ironically, all the criticisms that Kubiak was conservative and unimaginative are dead on target with McCoy, IMHO. Yet he does have the experience to recognize genuine QB talent when he sees it, so I imagine he'll put the best QB we have on the field Opening Day.

It's easy to imagine Sloter winding up as our TBA starters backup though, with whoever's caught in the middle soon traded to another team even more desperate for even a potential franchise QB. That is fairly routine in the NFL also and, however good or bad our current situation, I'm glad we didn't commit two years and nearly $40M of cap space to Oz when we could (and did) get equal or better QB play for orders of magnitude less.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information