Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: August is the new September

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We did have Good Friday off.
    Us too, but it was never a really good Friday, because my mother wouldn't let me have a burger or other meat. Total bummer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Us too, but it was never a really good Friday, because my mother wouldn't let me have a burger or other meat. Total bummer.
    We always had boiled crawfish, or a fish fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We always had boiled crawfish, or a fish fry.
    I think we had something like fish sticks for lunch (I was pretty young) and then either spaghetti with crab sauce, or eggplant Parmesan or some other type of pasta (Italian family on mothers side).

Our kids start in two weeks. Their summer break is shorter than when I was a kid, but their holiday breaks are longer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Schedule pickup for my son is the 9th, first day of school is the 17th. Junior in High School.

Why on earth do they have the first day of school on a Thursday? Seems odd.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Growing up it was September for me, but it changed in the late 80's to August and it's been like that since. I can't wait until my kid is old enough to be a latch key kid like I was so I can save some money on child care and camps in the Summer. 5 feet of rope and a water bowl within 4 feet of your sleeping pillow. That's how we used to roll!

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Schedule pickup for my son is the 9th, first day of school is the 17th. Junior in High School.

Why on earth do they have the first day of school on a Thursday? Seems odd.
    It makes sense to not bring the kids back to a full 5 days to start.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    The first few days of school are all getting settled and doing intros. I would argue most of my school experience (including college and undergrad degrees) didn't get rolling for a few weeks after it started.

10. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    The first few days of school are all getting settled and doing intros. I would argue most of my school experience (including college and undergrad degrees) didn't get rolling for a few weeks after it started.
    I'm not referring to the academic challenge, but just the simplicity of a new schedule. Some kids get into bad habits in the summer.

12. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'm not referring to the academic challenge, but just the simplicity of a new schedule. Some kids get into bad habits in the summer.
    That is true throughout life though. Even in new jobs/careers there is that adjustment period, I wasn't referring to academics either. Just getting into a groove. That is why I try to keep my kid structured between fun stuff and learning. Last week he did a science camp at the museum and this week was a skateboard camp. His bedtime and wake times are very similar but it's getting back into things like homework and remembering his supplies that are a pain in the butt.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    That is true throughout life though. Even in new jobs/careers there is that adjustment period, I wasn't referring to academics either. Just getting into a groove. That is why I try to keep my kid structured between fun stuff and learning. Last week he did a science camp at the museum and this week was a skateboard camp. His bedtime and wake times are very similar but it's getting back into things like homework and remembering his supplies that are a pain in the butt.
    That's a good thing to do. My wife is really good about keeping our kids lives structures during summer. They have to read for x number of minutes and do some kind of creative play for x minutes before they're allowed any screen time, which is limited to x minutes.

16. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

That's a good thing to do. My wife is really good about keeping our kids lives structures during summer. They have to read for x number of minutes and do some kind of creative play for x minutes before they're allowed any screen time, which is limited to x minutes.
    My wife does the same. I think she is over the top on restricting screen time, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

My wife and I were talking about school schedules last night because of this thread. As we were talking she remembered she had her school planner upstairs in a box. I'm thinking, wth is a school planner. She brought down this badass day planner that her middle school had custom made for the school. It had the entire school calendar, the classes she had, and then a day by day planner for the whole thing. It was a requirement that the students write their homework down from each class throughout the day and the teacher would stamp it. A parent had to sign it once weekly as well. It was a very well thought out and laid out way to keep students organized and parent/teachers informed. I was very impressed and wished I had something like that in school

20. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    My wife and I were talking about school schedules last night because of this thread. As we were talking she remembered she had her school planner upstairs in a box. I'm thinking, wth is a school planner. She brought down this badass day planner that her middle school had custom made for the school. It had the entire school calendar, the classes she had, and then a day by day planner for the whole thing. It was a requirement that the students write their homework down from each class throughout the day and the teacher would stamp it. A parent had to sign it once weekly as well. It was a very well thought out and laid out way to keep students organized and parent/teachers informed. I was very impressed and wished I had something like that in school
    My son's high school does this. Not quite as elaborate, but very similar.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information