Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The GOAT Index: NFL coaches, execs rank best QBs since 1978

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I wholeheartedly believe Elway was better than Montana and Manning was better than Brady. I'm fine with how they're ranked because they did get more rings, but could you imagine if Elway was on those Bill Walsh 49ers teams or Manning was teamed with BB and that system? They would probably have 15 SB rings between the 2 of them.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Yes, but Manning also was free to do those things and had coaches that allowed him to. Unlike Elway, who's primary coach restricted him until the 4th quarter. Imagine if Elway had the likes of Walsh or Shanahan his whole career.
    I have imagined many times. He probably would have retired with all the QB records.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Yes, but Manning also was free to do those things and had coaches that allowed him to. Unlike Elway, who's primary coach restricted him until the 4th quarter. Imagine if Elway had the likes of Walsh or Shanahan his whole career.
    Elway would probably be #1 if he had a Belichek, Holmgren, or Walsh. That's a better question--which athlete would you pick first during recess to build your franchise around?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Elway would probably be #1 if he had a Belichek, Holmgren, or Walsh. That's a better question--which athlete would you pick first during recess to build your franchise around?
    Elway or Rogers

7. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Elway or Rogers
    I'd have a tough time picking among those two and Manning and Marino. I feel like I should include Brady and Montana but they won the coaching and team lottery. The Cassel / Young effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

If I don't know who my coach is going to be, I'll take Manning because he essentially became a head coach and OC.

If I'm going to get a great coach then I might be more inclined to take a more physically gifted QB.

Just for funsies, Elway is still ranked as the greatest QB prospect ever - but one guy came very close, and some scouts had him ahead of Elway...Andrew Luck.

But it'd probably be Elway or Rodgers if I knew I was going to have a great coach. Warren Moon is in the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Peyton Manning had awful defenses in Indy, and for most of his time his line was bad.

Brady usually had good defenses and when he didn't he rarely, if ever, had a bad line.

Manning was the superior passer.

Manning was and always will be greater than Tom Brady, and that's before you factor in other issues.
    It is undeniable that Peyton Manning ALWAYS had significantly superior offensive talent during his years with Indianapolis and possibly even the first two years in Denver, relative to Tom Brady. I also would argue that Tom Brady's defenses weren't as superior to Manning's defenses as you imply. The Patriots won a Super Bowl with a WR, Troy Brown, playing DB for a significant part of the season and all of the playoffs including the SB.

The offensive lines Manning and Brady each played with also weren't that much different as you indicate or state. Moreover, when Brady's offensive line played poorly, Brady NEVER threw his offensive line under the bus like Manning did after the Colts lost to the Steelers in the playoffs.

Finally, Manning was and very likely always will be greater than Brady as a regular season QB, but Brady was and always will be greater than Manning as a post season QB regardless of any other issues you want to factor in King.
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

11. The Following User High Fived MNPatsFan For This Post:

It doesn't matter that Manning had better weapons -- Brady had a better line, coach, defense, and was asked to do much less. And whenBrady was good enough to play big boy football he was great - but he was given a head start. And Brady has made less guys into stars thanManning.

Manning all day.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

13. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Cory Dillon was better than any running back Manning played with, save Faulk who's stink in Indy was cut short

Dillon was good, but Manning had Edge, who was a monster, before the acl injury.

16. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MNPatsFan View Post
    I found this article on ESPN and figured that this would be an article that would generate a lot of discussion if posted here.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...odern-era-2017

The panel who established the list is comprised of: Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Mike Holmgren, Howard Mudd, Wade Phillips, Mike Reinfeldt, Ray Rhodes, Mike Shanahan, Al Saunders and Norv Turner, who possess a combined 330 seasons of NFL experience. All 10 are Super Bowl champions, having combined for 20 rings in 30 opportunities.

This is how they ranked the GOAT Top Ten QBs since 1978:

1. Brady
    2. P. Manning
    3. Montana
    4. Elway
    5. Rodgers
    T-6. Marino
    T-6. Favre
    8. Young
    9. Brees
    10. Fouts

Thoughts and discussion on the list?
    Looks pretty good to me. Hate Brady all you want but the guy delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

18. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MNPatsFan View Post
    It is undeniable that Peyton Manning ALWAYS had significantly superior offensive talent during his years with Indianapolis and possibly even the first two years in Denver, relative to Tom Brady. I also would argue that Tom Brady's defenses weren't as superior to Manning's defenses as you imply. The Patriots won a Super Bowl with a WR, Troy Brown, playing DB for a significant part of the season and all of the playoffs including the SB.

The offensive lines Manning and Brady each played with also weren't that much different as you indicate or state. Moreover, when Brady's offensive line played poorly, Brady NEVER threw his offensive line under the bus like Manning did after the Colts lost to the Steelers in the playoffs.

Finally, Manning was and very likely always will be greater than Brady as a regular season QB, but Brady was and always will be greater than Manning as a post season QB regardless of any other issues you want to factor in King.
    This post deserves more attention.

I'm not sure that it is undeniable when there were points in Brady's career that he had Gronk, Hernandez, whatever highly touted slot WR was trending, and a great line. In fact, if you look at the teams' offensive talent from Brady's record year on out, the talent parity, or arguably parody, is the same, more or less. Except...Manning made Julius Thomas look great. Gronk is objectively great. Hernandez was a better prospect and player than Thomas as well, too.

The Brown argumentation isn't a real one - he was there out of injuries. And yet the best Indy Defense Manning ever had was around the middle of the league. The first SB Brady was present for they led the league in turnovers.

Manning had a nice line early in his career. And then he didn't. The best offensive lineman Manning had in Indy was Saturday, a center known around the league for getting killed by 3-4 NT's. Brady had Light, who is probably going into the HoF. And Manning had a bad moment where he throw his line under the bus in 2005. Brady's wife threw Welker under the bus and Brady didn't say shit. If we're picking arbitrary bad moments in their career, I guess that has merit. What I appreciate now is that people are starting to reflect on the teams Manning had - bad defenses, lines that we know were only good because of Manning, and the man himself.

In regards to the postseason, Brady was spotted two SB rings, better overall teams, the greatest coach ever, etc. I should hope he did better in the postseason. The reality of Brady's career is that he was a great player, who had a better setup than any QB in history sans maybe Joe Montana.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Brady isn't in my Top 5.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

21. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

the list is bogus because Cleo Lemon isn't there

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    the list is bogus because Cleo Lemon isn't there
    Welp, here's proof that Canadians are stupid.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information