Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Broncos hire Gary Kubiak as scout advisor

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    It's a nicer story if Kubiak sails off into the sunset due to health issues - I think we all just want to believe that nice clean narrative.

The reality is just slightly more complicated where he didn't want to overhaul his offense and his offensive coaching staff in the midst of also being his age and having health issues - and he is a man of such high integrity that he saw the right thing to do was to step aside.

Clearly health was an issue - but if health was the only issue then he doesn't talk about how he's not retiring and looking for his next challenge at his exit press conference.
    The simplest explanation for me is that Kube's health was the main factor in his departure, but it was cemented by discussions that something had to change on offense. It explains his health episodes, the presser, this job, and the fumigation of the offensive staff this offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    The simplest explanation for me is that Kube's health was the main factor in his departure, but it was cemented by discussions that something had to change on offense. It explains his health episodes, the presser, this job, and the fumigation of the offensive staff this offseason.
    Right - I just come back to the idea that if the offense is firing on all cylinders, he's got a longtime #2 in Dennison who in theory should have been in a position to take on more of the burden - I think he finds a way to finish out his 4 year contract... But he was faced with overhauling the offense and the offensive staff, which combined with his health issues I think made the decision easier for him.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I doubt Dennison comes back as any kind of OC and I firmly believe Barone is flat out fired, and it's apparent Wade Phillips was on his way out. I think that, along with health, was why Kubiak decided to walk away.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Y'all overthink this shit too much.
    I believe this thread is currently about twice as long as the thread about Elway's new contract. That's how we roll around here.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I doubt Dennison comes back as any kind of OC and I firmly believe Barone is flat out fired, and it's apparent Wade Phillips was on his way out. I think that, along with health, was why Kubiak decided to walk away.
    I'm so curious how Dennison does in Buffalo, his first time away from Kubiak.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I believe this thread is currently about twice as long as the thread about Elway's new contract. That's how we roll around here.
    in fairness, what's to discuss about elway's contract? we all say "awesome," and move on. . .

also, please! BTB is the king of arguing pointless shit for pages. . . ironic posts are ironic. . .

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    in fairness, what's to discuss about elway's contract? we all say "awesome," and move on. . .
    I know, that was kind of my point. Positivity is great but there's usually not much to say. The debate about conspiracy theories is much more interesting (generally, not just here)

11. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Me too, hope he kills it because he doesn't have a single OLman that fits the mold of the ones he coached back in the Shanatan era. I need him to kill it with Cordy Glenn.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Just adds to an already bizarre 8 months. It's clear now that he would have liked to continue coaching if he could have continued to do everything his way. But Elway was going to mandate some changes - likely a new OC among other things - and Kubiak decided he'd rather fall on his sword than fire Rico. So we all sat through that super weird exit press conference where we ignored the tension and awkwardness of having a retirement presser for a guy who didn't really want to retire.

I'm happy we found a role for him in the organization - but I wonder if Kubiak is ultimately happy with all of this. I feel like he's kind of being a good soldier and putting the organization first, but have got to believe that deep down he still wants to be the HC.
    He's had 2 cardiac incidents in the last few years. He needed to retire, but yes, you are totally right. He didn't want to fire Clancey Barone or Rico, or any of the coaches Elway fired and preferred to step down. But, he's probably not done with football and this allows him to participate in a non-stressful way.

He could wind up back in coaching in a year or two. Those coaches are insanely driven and don't know what to do with themselves in retirement.

Well, he probably won't be invisible and have zero impact, so that will be a big step up. Rico wasn't even running the offense really. Kubiak did that pretty much himself and it was a disaster. A car wreck. An offense that is supposed to emphasize running the ball first and they couldn't convert 3rd and 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    He's had 2 cardiac incidents in the last few years. He needed to retire, but yes, you are totally right. He didn't want to fire Clancey Barone or Rico, or any of the coaches Elway fired and preferred to step down. But, he's probably not done with football and this allows him to participate in a non-stressful way.

He could wind up back in coaching in a year or two. Those coaches are insanely driven and don't know what to do with themselves in retirement.
    Hopefully scouting will help fill that void for him. It's not like scouts have bankers hours.

16. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information