Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Listening to several Fugazi, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Descendants, and Primus albums. This one brought me back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Nothing quite like Wagner

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

This has always haunted me, in a good way.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I feel like I'm cheating on this one, but I do love me some Pachelbel.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont keep up or dive too much into Classical music but its influence has played a part in many different areas of rock and metal. One of my favorite pieces is Edvard Grieg's "Hall of the Mountain King".

To which i will add a rock version of said song by the late Criss Olivia of Savatage. "Prelude to Madness" which intros into the song Hall of the Mountain King.

Apocalyptica also did a version of the song.

Also like selected pieces by Chopin and Beethoven.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Grieg is the dude! HotMK is killer.

Nice picks, Joe, I love those.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Arjen Seinen - Chopin Nocturne C Sharp Minor

Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

13. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Arjen Seinen - Chopin Nocturne C Sharp Minor

Magnificent

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I don't know how successful this will be. But my love for classical presses me to do it.
    For starters. here's Yulianna Avdeeva in Ballade in F minor, Op. 52 (third stage, 2010)

This might be my favorite classical composition. For some reason I tend to like the solo piano works more than the orchestral, symphonic, and chamber works. The piano is so expressive. No one wrote for it better than Chopin when you consider the body of work. This is probably his finest composition.

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I agree with your sentiments about piano. I think cello is nearly as enjoyable

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I agree with your sentiments about piano. I think cello is nearly as enjoyable
    I used this Meyer composition on my wedding day for the dance of the bride and groom.

19. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

21. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

One thing I appreciate about classical music.

While the composer dictates the notes and the performer has to be true to the music, the performer has some liberty to evoke the intent of the composer in ways that aren't explicit on the sheet. An example that comes to mind is Schubert's D960 sonata, written shortly after Schubert had met with the dying Beethoven, and shortly before Schubert's own death from syphilis at age 31. This is my pick for best sonata ever, btw.

A discussion of the different interpretations here.

Artur Schnabel - no messing around. A performance totally true to the composer's intent.

Sviatoslav Richter - messing around. A performance possibly truer to the composer's real intent?

A more extreme example is Pogorelich's performance of Chopin's prelude #15, the so-called 'raindrop' prelude. This was the first piece of music I would say I came close to mastering, and it was astonishing how many interpretations there are of this work. Different dynamics, different phrasing, different emphasis of certain voices within the work, and most of all, the tempo. After listening to nearly every interpretation of the prelude, I came to prefer Argerich's above all, but it was Rubinstein's that inspired me, and Pogo's that invited me to share an artistic vision using the music as lens.

Pogo -- messing around.

Rubinstein -- just the facts, ma'am.

I think both of them work quite well.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 07-31-2017 at 09:39 AM.

24. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

26. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information