Thread: Attention Ex-Pats

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default Attention Ex-Pats

I am toying with the idea of leaving the U.S. once I retire and living in another country. Currently, it's possible for Americans to live in other civilized countries and spend roughly 30-50% of what it costs to live here in Texas. The recession and following unemployment cleaned out much of my savings but I still have two company pensions and social security once I claim them after age 65.

What I'd like is any ex-Pats among us to describe their experience leaving the country and what hassles/bureaucracies they experience either in leaving America or arriving in their new country.

I'm beginning to zero in on Panama for a number of reasons, especially Chiriqui Province (David, Boquete) but not committed to anything yet. It will be five years before I can retire but I want to do my research and make the best decision I can so I'm prepared for everything.

My main rationale is that I can afford to retire and live in Central/South America when I'm 65 or continue on the work in the U.S. treadmill until I am well into my 70s. While I would miss family members and few other things, the decision does not seem all that hard.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Aaron Hernandez is an ex-pat, but don't follow his example.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Aaron Hernandez is an ex-pat, but don't follow his example.
    Yeah, don't murk yourself, but you could follow his example of finding a way to live a low-expense lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah, don't murk yourself, but you could follow his example of finding a way to live a low-expense lifestyle.
    Free if you lose the lawyers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Or, make money for your estate with this one simple trick.

Where is WTE?

7. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

yeah, yeah. I knew this would happen. Still, anyone who has decided to live outside the U.S. (except maybenative Canadians), I would like your opinion on the process of leaving the country or moving to Latin America.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    yeah, yeah. I knew this would happen. Still, anyone who has decided to live outside the U.S. (except maybenative Canadians), I would like your opinion on the process of leaving the country or moving to Latin America.
    Slick is your man. Be patient. He had a huge dinner for $9 and is sleeping it off.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

What would you like to know, Hoof?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

What hoops did you have to jump through to establish your residency in a new country? What paperwork did you have to provide? Did you hire an attorney to work out the details?

Mostly, are you satisfied with your decision? Are the lifestyle, economic benefits as good as you were told?

What hoops did you have to jump through to establish your residency in a new country? What paperwork did you have to provide? Did you hire an attorney to work out the details?

Mostly, are you satisfied with your decision? Are the lifestyle, economic benefits as good as you were told?
    I came in on a tourist visa and when I got a job, I hired an immigration attorney to help me with getting a different kind of visa. Called an FM3 which I had to renew every year. Cost about $350Usd. After 3 years I got an FM2. Renewed that for 2 years and then got a Permanent Resident visa.

When I would leave Mexico to go back to the US I had to check in with Immigration and fill out a form letting them know I was leaving, and when I returned I had to bring the form back which was stamped like a passport when I entered the country again. I still have to do that every time I leave the country even with Permanent Resident status.

As far as paperwork all I had to bring was my US passport and a certified copy of my birth certificate.

I know people who are of retirement age and never planned on working and they were able to get the visa process started at the Mexican Embassy in the US. They successfully finished things up upon arriving in Mexico.

I know a couple who bought a house in Panama and they love it. Your first step should be to find a Panamanian embassy in the US and get information on getting a visa from them.

I am more than satisfied with my decision. It's been an amazing experience. I've met so many people from all over the world that I would have never met had I stayed in the States.

There are pros and cons. I'm in a very touristy area and it's the most expensive state in Mexico. Stuff like going to the grocery store is cheaper but clothes and electronics and gasoline are more expensive than in the US.

You won't have access to the same things. It's hard to replicate a recipe that you've made hundreds of times back home because the stores don't stock the same ingredients. Internet service is spotty and slow. Cell phone service is wayyyyyy cheaper though. I pay less that. $20 a month for my plan.

Infrastructure sucks. The roads aren't good. The power goes out a lot. Electricity, water and natural gas cost more. It's hot as hell and really humid in the summer.

If I were retired, I think I would enjoy it more.

Check into Bolivia too. A lot of ex pats are moving there.

Learn the language. It is very important. The people will respect you for it.

I came in on a tourist visa and when I got a job, I hired an immigration attorney to help me with getting a different kind of visa. Called an FM3 which I had to renew every year. Cost about $350Usd. After 3 years I got an FM2. Renewed that for 2 years and then got a Permanent Resident visa.

When I would leave Mexico to go back to the US I had to check in with Immigration and fill out a form letting them know I was leaving, and when I returned I had to bring the form back which was stamped like a passport when I entered the country again. I still have to do that every time I leave the country even with Permanent Resident status.

As far as paperwork all I had to bring was my US passport and a certified copy of my birth certificate.

I know people who are of retirement age and never planned on working and they were able to get the visa process started at the Mexican Embassy in the US. They successfully finished things up upon arriving in Mexico.

I know a couple who bought a house in Panama and they love it. Your first step should be to find a Panamanian embassy in the US and get information on getting a visa from them.

I am more than satisfied with my decision. It's been an amazing experience. I've met so many people from all over the world that I would have never met had I stayed in the States.

There are pros and cons. I'm in a very touristy area and it's the most expensive state in Mexico. Stuff like going to the grocery store is cheaper but clothes and electronics and gasoline are more expensive than in the US.

You won't have access to the same things. It's hard to replicate a recipe that you've made hundreds of times back home because the stores don't stock the same ingredients. Internet service is spotty and slow. Cell phone service is wayyyyyy cheaper though. I pay less that. $20 a month for my plan.

Infrastructure sucks. The roads aren't good. The power goes out a lot. Electricity, water and natural gas cost more. It's hot as hell and really humid in the summer.

If I were retired, I think I would enjoy it more.

Check into Bolivia too. A lot of ex pats are moving there.

Learn the language. It is very important. The people will respect you for it.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

All good advice. Thank you.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

i heard land is cheap in the ukraine and syria.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    i heard land is cheap in the ukraine and syria.
    Living under the shadow of Putin, or getting beheaded by ISIS

Let me get back to you on that.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information