Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best Athlete Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Same deal with MJ. Greatest basketball player ever (albiet debatably now), but as a physical freak he's not in the league of guys like Bo, LeBron, Hillis, etc.
    Yea, really good point. I completely forgot about Hillis. You're right for putting him in the Bo and Lebron group.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Bo Jackson.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I'm going to say Elway, Jesse Owens, or Vick.
    Vick vs Elway is an interesting comparison. As a pure athlete, I think I'd have to go with Vick though. Similar arm to Elway (Elway probably gets the nod there), but his speed to go along with that arm puts him on a different planet. I would be interested to see what Vick's career would have looked like if he didn't have that chunk taken out right in the middle of his athletic prime.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yea, really good point. I completely forgot about Hillis. You're right for putting him in the Bo and Lebron group.
    Ok that made me legitimately laugh.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Pfft, a journeyman that bounced around to four different teams and only had a 1,000 yards twice. Not to mention he couldn't hit a curve ball.
    He was a better track and field athlete than Bo. Faster, stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

7. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Giannis Antetokoumnpo might be a guy that we'll have to put on this list at some point as well. He might be the second most freakish athlete in the NBA right now behind LeBron.

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Ok that made me legitimately laugh.
    I figured it would!! You dang, McD lovin fool!

11. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

King, aka, Tin Cup -- when you go down, you go down in flames.

I'll give you credit, once you dig your heels in on something, no matter how far afield it is, you stick to your guns to the end.

Next up, we'll be learnt about how water is dry and today is Tuesday...

The mere fact that you referred to him as frail just shows you are clueless about him.

Of those old enough to watch him play, he's been nearly universal hailed in this thread (and I'm sure in lots of other threads, articles, books and who knows what else) as one of the greatest athletes to ever grace a sport.

He had a freak accident destroy his hip, which resulted in the need for a hip replacement, and he still played a couple seasons and hit something like 30-40 home runs.
    http://deadspin.com/could-modern-med...eer-1443105382

Bo's transcendent career was cut short in January 1991, when an awkward but unremarkable-looking tackle injured his hip, leading to a hip replacement and his retirement. The injury is often described as a dislocation which, unsurprisingly, oversimplifies the medical facts. So let's look a little deeper.

The first thing to understand is that a lot of things went into Bo's injury. The hip dislocation itself is what happened on the field, but it isn't what forced Jackson into retirement. That would be a bone disease called avascular necrosis (AVN), which happens when blood supply to the bone is disrupted, as it was with Jackson.

I'm not clueless about him. At least I knew what his health was, and as you pointed out, I didn't even watch him play.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great athlete. I'm saying that the same physical body that made him great came with a degenerative issue, one so severe that they're not sure modern medicine could help him today (per the rest of the article). So the argument that I'm making is that I can't divorce that issue from his as an athlete - and we're talking about what his body could do, per the OP. The OP, disagrees with me, but hasn't dismissed my argument, just disagreed with it.

So, on logical ground, I stand just fine.

I'm going to ask you to stop taking potshots at me. I don't take them at you. Our history has rendered it to the point where I'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you can't adhere to that, your choice, but I'll just put you on ignore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Bo is a fine choice, but he was overhyped.

If anyone comes back at me with, "but Techmobowl," I'll concede.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Hershel Walker was stiff as a board, fast/strong, that's about it.

Also, I'd be interested evidence that suggests he's a better physical specimen than Bo Jackson, something tangible...like arm length and/or 3-cone...banging Josh McDaniels wife. Something worthwhile and notable.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 07-21-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Bo is a fine choice, but he was overhyped.

If anyone comes back at me with, "but Techmobowl," I'll concede.
    Techmobowl is being invoked.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I'll just put you on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Wayne Gretzky?
    Should be on the list - he's the most skilled hockey player ever right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'm curious what you think about if he had played basketball instead of hockey. I understand he's only 6-3, but do you think he would have the athleticism to play point guard in the NBA. Is he that type of specimen?

(This also assumes he trains all of his life to be a basketball player)
    Assuming he'd trained his whole life I think he would have been pretty good but not NBA level good, no. Not imo.

Wayne had the ability to see the ice like no one else. He also had such sick hands and he could deke players while skating at top speed. His shot was also very good and accurate. I do not think imo in his prime, and having practiced bball his whole life, that he would be able to hang with current nba players.

The great one imo (and I could be off on his athleticism) was a technician. He could see plays develop before they did. He knew angles and how to exploit them. He always said he would skate to where the puck would end up, not where it is. Being able to forsee where it will end up is remarkable. It separates good from greats. Also, and not to take away from him, but the game has changed so much since then. Goalies are much much much much much x 1000000000000 better than they were when he was playing. Other players were not as good either. It is one of the reasons why his records will never be broken. The rest of the world has caught up to his level of play. He was still better than them but not to the degree now. If he was to come out now as an 18 year old kid. Hed probably be like Mcdavid and be a phenom, but not the all time, best player with records that are better than like 2nd, 3rd and 4th combined.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Hershel Walker was stiff as a board, fast/strong, that's about it. Also, I'd be interested proof that's he's a better physical specimen than Bo Jackson, something tangible...like arm length and/or 3-cone.
    100 meter, 10.23 (HW) vs. 10.44 (BJ). Both were pretty big dudes when they ran it. Herschel at 225 and idk about Bo, he was a freshman then, but ran the famous 4.12(h) at 227 pounds. Walker was gold medal Olympics sprinting material, Jackson was a world-class sprinter.

http://www.flotrack.org/article/9569...e-fastest-ever

20. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Techmobowl is being invoked.
    I concede. But Walker deserves mention.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information