Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Athlete Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Should be on the list - he's the most skilled hockey player ever right?
    Yes. He was in the top 3 when ESPN did their list. Skating is hard enough let alone playing the game so I have a lot of respect for those guys.

2. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I never watched Gretzky play so I don't know enough about him to know if he's actually an insane physical specimen, or just really skilled at hockey. MJ, for example, retired as the greatest basketball player ever, but there were other players who purely from a physical specimen perspective, had him beat.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

It's gotta be Jim Thorpe. Dude was superhuman.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Joe knows Bo.

Bo Jackson. No doubt about it. As someone mentioned, He'd be a HOF'er in the NFL had he not got injured, and was a pretty damn good baseball player*.

*need MO's input here, because MO knows Baseball.

Jackson had great speed, and he was quite strong. Yet aside from one year as RB, maybe two, his abilities never really manifested. OP is talking about just ability, and I get that. However, part of one's ability is to be able to actually...do it. And his body, the same body that let him run a 4.1 at 230 pounds, was the same one that was flawed heavily by his bad hip. He was a ticking time bomb. I don't think the two can be divorced, but if someone would, joking aside from the prior thread, I wouldn't fault them.

I'm going to say Elway, Jesse Owens, or Vick.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Joe knows Bo.

Bo Jackson. No doubt about it. As someone mentioned, He'd be a HOF'er in the NFL had he not got injured, and was a pretty damn good baseball player*.

*need MO's input here, because MO knows Baseball.
    Let's say he focused on baseball, played from age 23-40 full time, so he got the full 600 PA per year that a 17-year baseball vet would get, he was on pace to hit 550 home runs. I think he could have hit 600. His batting average went up every year, I'd say he's a .270 hitter/550 HR type makeup. Here are those players in MLB history: Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Alex Rodriguez, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey, Jim Thome, Sammy Sosa, Albert Pujols, Frank Robinson, Rafael Palmeiro and Manny Ramirez.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

He wasn't getting those numbers - the hip. le sigh. LE SIGH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Correct. He did not achieve those numbers, but I did not intend for this to be about numbers or achievements. He was that type of hitter, as well as being a top 10 fielder with the best arm in baseball for five seasons. He also was the most explosive running back in the NFL at the same time.

He was, for a very short time albeit, one of the greatest athletes to ever live.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Wayne Gretzky?
    Should be on the list - he's the most skilled hockey player ever right?

negative.

He is the best hockey player. Largely the best sports player. His records will never be broken. But as MO said we are talking specimens. He is not one. Jaramir Jagr is. Huge. Super strong. Really fast. Did I say super strong. He is also like 45 years old and is still kicking ass in the NHL to this day. He is an elite physical specimen and is one of the most athletic people I have ever seen. He is really good at hockey too but just all around fitness this guy is a god.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    negative.

He is the best hockey player. Largely the best sports player. His records will never be broken. But as MO said we are talking specimens. He is not one. Jaramir Jagr is. Huge. Super strong. Really fast. Did I say super strong. He is also like 45 years old and is still kicking ass in the NHL to this day. He is an elite physical specimen and is one of the most athletic people I have ever seen. He is really good at hockey too but just all around fitness this guy is a god.
    I'm curious what you think about if he had played basketball instead of hockey. I understand he's only 6-3, but do you think he would have the athleticism to play point guard in the NBA. Is he that type of specimen?

(This also assumes he trains all of his life to be a basketball player)

King, aka, Tin Cup -- when you go down, you go down in flames.

I'll give you credit, once you dig your heels in on something, no matter how far afield it is, you stick to your guns to the end.

Next up, we'll be learnt about how water is dry and today is Tuesday...

The mere fact that you referred to him as frail just shows you are clueless about him.

Of those old enough to watch him play, he's been nearly universal hailed in this thread (and I'm sure in lots of other threads, articles, books and who knows what else) as one of the greatest athletes to ever grace a sport.

He had a freak accident destroy his hip, which resulted in the need for a hip replacement, and he still played a couple seasons and hit something like 30-40 home runs.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'm curious what you think about if he had played basketball instead of hockey. I understand he's only 6-3, but do you think he would have the athleticism to play point guard in the NBA. Is he that type of specimen?

(This also assumes he trains all of his life to be a basketball player)
    Huge Gretzky fan. Only got to see him live one time playing my Islanders in Nassau Coliseum. It was like watching Ichabod Crane on ice. He looked like the least athletic person on the ice, but made everyone else look like they were some kids playing hockey on a pond. I'm not sure I could call him a great athlete and certainly not one of the greatest (I would probably put Mario Lemuix or Jamir Jagr above him in pure athleticism), but there is not doubt he was the greatest hockey player of his generation. I marvel to watch.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Not most accomplished, best physical specimen.

Go.
    Herschel Walker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Herschel Walker.
    Pfft, a journeyman that bounced around to four different teams and only had a 1,000 yards twice. Not to mention he couldn't hit a curve ball.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Huge Gretzky fan. Only got to see him live one time playing my Islanders in Nassau Coliseum. It was like watching Ichabod Crane on ice. He looked like the least athletic person on the ice, but made everyone else look like they were some kids playing hockey on a pond. I'm not sure I could call him a great athlete and certainly not one of the greatest (I would probably put Mario Lemuix or Jamir Jagr above him in pure athleticism), but there is not doubt he was the greatest hockey player of his generation. I marvel to watch.
    Same deal with MJ. Greatest basketball player ever (albiet debatably now), but as a physical freak he's not in the league of guys like Bo, LeBron, etc.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information