Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Chester Bennington dead at 41

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I think we are misrepresenting the choice a suicidal person actually had.

All we are at any one time is the sum of our brain chemistry. When that is outside of acceptable norms..... Perception is altered, and when things get so bad.... All the kids in the world won't matter
    Clearly this is the case because people keep killing themselves. I agree on this point 100%. I can even empathize with being in such a dark place that it makes sense.

I can accept all of that and still believe that it's preventable and the person needed to do more to prevent themselves from ending up in that spot.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I am capable of empathy and I'm sure the guy was facing demons that I've never faced but I just don't agree with the path he chose. There are always other options. I mean he was supposedly good friends with Cornell. Someone show me that Chester did everything in his power to overcome his depression and simply couldn't and I could change my stance in this instance.
    I guess that's where we fundamentally disagree, I don't believe Chester "chose" a path, or that he had any psychological power to overcome it

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

I guess that's where we fundamentally disagree, I don't believe Chester "chose" a path, or that he had any psychological power to overcome it
    He decided to kill himself. I'd say that was a choice.

depressed people shouldn't reproduce. let alone 6 times. I don't know the history of the science but I think there's a strong genetic link to suicide. it would make sense that there is. of course he had his childhood trauma, and now his children have theirs.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

My previous post still stands, I don't believe that choice was a choice in the way that we both understand the meaning of the word

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

My previous post still stands, I don't believe that choice was a choice in the way that we both understand the meaning of the word
    But what about this distinction:

At the time of his death - clearly his brain chemistry didn't allow for a logical "choice". But what about the years of substance abuse that preceded it? Or the depression that festered? Can't we agree that there were many choices leading up to this which may have allowed for a different path?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    But what about this distinction: At the time of his death - clearly his brain chemistry didn't allow for a logical "choice". But what about the years of substance abuse that preceded it? Or the depression that festered? Can't we agree that there were many choices leading up to this which may have allowed for a different path?
    Completely

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Don't kill yourself - subjectively be mentally stronger. And snip your dick in anticipation of issues resurfacing in your life.

To the parents in the thread - remove the visceral reactions for a second.
    This came off with perceived pomp king. Are you suggesting every parent had a visceral reaction? I hope you don't mean that....

Clearly this is the case because people keep killing themselves. I agree on this point 100%. I can even empathize with being in such a dark place that it makes sense.

I can accept all of that and still believe that it's preventable and the person needed to do more to prevent themselves from ending up in that spot.
    Pull yourself up by your mental health bootstrap!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    This came off with perceived pomp king. Are you suggesting every parent had a visceral reaction? I hope you don't mean that....
    No pomp intended. I'm editing and deleting posts that might have it. Unless it's aimed at Buff -- he doesn't mind.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

But what about this distinction:

At the time of his death - clearly his brain chemistry didn't allow for a logical "choice". But what about the years of substance abuse that preceded it? Or the depression that festered? Can't we agree that there were many choices leading up to this which may have allowed for a different path?
    Choices that were impeded by depression. Just because I take a pill doesn't mean the depression goes away. It's not like penicillin for a run if the mill issue.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Someone show me that Chester did everything in his power to overcome his depression and simply couldn't and I could change my stance in this instance.
    I dont think anyone would be privy to that kind of information one way or the other.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I mean - I'm not claiming we should overhaul the justice system according to my own neanderthal tendencies. My point is that if a 14 year old schizo who doesn't understand right from wrong decides to kill a mother of 4 - who gives a shit whether they knew right from wrong? They've destroyed a family and I don't care about their rehabilitation. You get one chance at this.
    Ok, Trump Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    King...I'm going to my daughter's function. I'll be back later.
    When you leave, my heart gallops with you.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Whereas there is a perfectly legitimate counterpoint that says - "We know a lot about mental illness, and there are many treatments available - you owe it to your family to exhaust all of those avenues."
    Saying that to a person who is of sound mind is one thing - saying it to a depressed person who is unable to think logically is another. I think we all suffer from a sort of detachment to the plight of somebody who is to the point of suicide because AFAIK none of us have ever been in that situation. Ultimately it is a choice they make, but the choice is made in circumstances and with a mindset that none of us really understand because we probably haven't experienced it.

So I guess we're sending a lot of judgment towards something none of us have ever experienced. Judging it from our perspectives, it is absolutely a selfish thing to do. But it is more complex than that as well. It is a tragedy all the way around.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information