Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Panthers fire Dave Gettleman; DeAngelo Williams happy 'snake' out of job

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    41,309

    Default Panthers fire Dave Gettleman; DeAngelo Williams happy 'snake' out of job

    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers have fired general manager Dave Gettleman effective immediately, the team announced Monday.

    The move comes nine days before the Panthers are scheduled to report to training camp at Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

    The team offered no immediate reason for Gettleman's dismissal.

    Gettleman parted ways with several of Carolina's all-time best players in wide receiver Steve Smith Sr., running back DeAngelo Williams and cornerback Josh Norman.

    Williams, Smith, the Panthers' all-time leading wide receiver (12,197 yards), and Norman, who was released during the 2016 offseason after making the Pro Bowl in 2016, all responded to Gettleman's dismissal on Twitter.
    rest - plus video Adam Schefter talking about this http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...eneral-manager

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad kelly
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    I totally agree with Schefter that this makes no sense. Not only because of how late it comes in the offseason, but because of the success they've had since he took over. Yes, they had a down year last year, but that might have more to do with us showing teams how to get into SCam "Diaperman" Newton's head. As far as former players being upset at him, football is a business, get over it.
    Iím an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Aspergerís, feel free to ask. Iím not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

    https://aacphoenix.com/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emmanuel Sanders
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I totally agree with Schefter that this makes no sense. Not only because of how late it comes in the offseason, but because of the success they've had since he took over. Yes, they had a down year last year, but that might have more to do with us showing teams how to get into SCam "Diaperman" Newton's head. As far as former players being upset at him, football is a business, get over it.
    Part of that business is the team's image in the community and around the league. The Panthers last year were a playoff team with Josh Norman. Without him, the team just had no answer for the likes of Mike Evans or Julio Jones. The GM messed up the relationship with Norman and his agent, and it was not the first time he has treated veterans disrespectfully on their exit. It's part of the business, sure, but when you have Steve Smith who felt disrespected, DeAngelo Williams who is going into interviews still sounding off because he felt disrespected, and now Greg Olsen talking about holding out in camp because he doesn't feel like the GM is taking his contract demands seriously? It just doesn't work in the long-term.

    Gettleman was probably 100% right to make the decisions he made when he made them, but completely ignoring the relationship end of things is bad for business and makes free agents think twice before coming on board, and it makes contracted players think twice before taking any kind of team-friendly action in negotiations. It just got too much for Richardson to put up with, going from one extreme overpaying veterans in Hurney, to heartless Gettleman who literally had retired greats (Steve Smith) refusing to have anything to do with the organization and badmouthing it publicly.

  4. The Following 4 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad kelly
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Part of that business is the team's image in the community and around the league. The Panthers last year were a playoff team with Josh Norman. Without him, the team just had no answer for the likes of Mike Evans or Julio Jones. The GM messed up the relationship with Norman and his agent, and it was not the first time he has treated veterans disrespectfully on their exit. It's part of the business, sure, but when you have Steve Smith who felt disrespected, DeAngelo Williams who is going into interviews still sounding off because he felt disrespected, and now Greg Olsen talking about holding out in camp because he doesn't feel like the GM is taking his contract demands seriously? It just doesn't work in the long-term.

    Gettleman was probably 100% right to make the decisions he made when he made them, but completely ignoring the relationship end of things is bad for business and makes free agents think twice before coming on board, and it makes contracted players think twice before taking any kind of team-friendly action in negotiations. It just got too much for Richardson to put up with, going from one extreme overpaying veterans in Hurney, to heartless Gettleman who literally had retired greats (Steve Smith) refusing to have anything to do with the organization and badmouthing it publicly.
    How does this differ from Belichick treating every player on his roster, not named Tom Brady, as expendable?
    Iím an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Aspergerís, feel free to ask. Iím not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

    https://aacphoenix.com/

  6. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emmanuel Sanders
    Posts
    3,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    How does this differ from Belichick treating every player on his roster, not named Tom Brady, as expendable?
    Belichick knows how to communicate and be up front with players, and doesn't burn bridges on the way out. Deion Branch, Patrick Chung, LeGarrette Blount, Josh McDaniels, and others have left and returned. Very few former Patriots are out there badmouthing the organization, even the ones who were given more shocking exits, so I assume the organization was more up front and genuine with players.

    Plus, Belichick is well connected in the league, so players wouldn't want to leave on bad terms with someone who might be called if they are looking to become a coach later in their career.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad kelly
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Belichick knows how to communicate and be up front with players, and doesn't burn bridges on the way out. Deion Branch, Patrick Chung, LeGarrette Blount, Josh McDaniels, and others have left and returned. Very few former Patriots are out there badmouthing the organization, even the ones who were given more shocking exits, so I assume the organization was more up front and genuine with players.

    Plus, Belichick is well connected in the league, so players wouldn't want to leave on bad terms with someone who might be called if they are looking to become a coach later in their career.
    BB never kicked McD to the curb, McD got a shot at a HC job and took it.
    Iím an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Aspergerís, feel free to ask. Iím not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

    https://aacphoenix.com/

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    My place in nowhere.
    Adopted Bronco:
    John F'n Elway
    Posts
    16,615

    Default

    This sounds like how Elway runs it.

    Btw, Gettleman gave Norman his release when 100% of the other GM's would make him play out, not sure what Norman said but it better be complimentary.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burlintgon, VT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Brock Osweiler
    Posts
    34,926

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    This sounds like how Elway runs it.
    Then why has noone badmouthed him on the way out?
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I'm a ******* idiot.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    39,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Then why has noone badmouthed him on the way out?
    There were rumors that the Panther's GM would insult people to their face and throughout the organization, I think. If that's true, I doubt Elway is so unprofessional.

  12. The Following User High Fived Von Kinger For This Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad kelly
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Then why has noone badmouthed him on the way out?
    What about Doom? Maybe part of the problem is the Panthers standing behind SCam "Diaperman" Newton's whining about how everyone hits him too hard has resulted in the team developing a culture of whining every time they don't get their way.
    Iím an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Aspergerís, feel free to ask. Iím not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

    https://aacphoenix.com/

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Chad kelly
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    There were rumors that the Panther's GM would insult people to their face and throughout the organization, I think. If that's true, I doubt Elway is so unprofessional.
    And at Broncos Forums, we treat all rumors as if they are true.
    Iím an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Aspergerís, feel free to ask. Iím not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

    https://aacphoenix.com/

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    39,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    And at Broncos Forums, we treat all rumors as if they are true.
    Wel, no?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
dedicated servers
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group