Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 10 personal favorite songs/tracks released in the decade of 2000's

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Don’t think I would change my list

Without question I have better tunes but these tunes were strongly associated with awesome times

No need for a mulligan for my list from the 00s
    Well done.

My thought was along the lines of 'how would you change your list now that it's a few years later, and the distance between you and the person you were then has perhaps grown?'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Well done.

My thought was along the lines of 'how would you change your list now that it's a few years later, and the distance between you and the person you were then has perhaps grown?'
    Yeah, I get it. I am a totally different person and totally grateful for it. But those tunes serve as a link to those times and memories

I could probably also add

Crazy in love - Beyoncé
    Mr Brightside - Killers

But not sure what I would remove to accommodate them

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Also maybe

Underdog - Turin breaks

Anything of the Californication album

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    The 2000s was my adolescence leading into young adulthood. So it's a little hard to determine what I listened to during that time, and what I found out later from the period that I liked. I listened to Linkin Park like a madman, but I have zero interest in listening to them again so I left those off the list. And any songs that I would say in retrospect sucked ass and never want to listen to again I left off.

They all either remind me of junior high, hanging out with my cousin, or girls. Or they're just really awesome songs.

If I could only pick 10 of my favorites from the decade, as in not necessarily my favorites but I hear these and they immediately bring me back:

Modest Mouse - Float On
    MGMT - Time to Pretend
    The All-American Rejects - Swing, Swing
    Band of Horses - The Funeral
    The Strokes - Hard to Pretend
    Sigur Ros - Hoppipolla
    Taylor Swift - Our Song
    Blink 182 - I Miss You
    The White Stripes - Icky Thump
    Simple Plan - I'm Just A Kid

The Others:

The Mountain Goats - The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton
    The Shins - New Slang
    Vampire Weekend - Walcott
    Animal Collective - Peacebone
    Bright Eyes - At the Bottom of Everything
    Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
    Dinosaur Jr. - See You
    Outkast - BOB
    Brand New - Mixtape
    RHCP - Dani California
    Wilco - War on War
    Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets Body
    The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes
    The Killers - Mr. Brightside
    Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
    Yellowcard - Ocean Avenue
    Hawthorne Heights - Ohio Is for Lovers
    Radiohead - Bodysnatchers
    Old Crow Medicine Show - Wagon Wheel
    I have become a sucker for 2000s pop music, so here’s my new top 10, not in any real order:

MGMT - Time to Pretend
    Modest Mouse - Float On
    The All-American Rejects - Swing, Swing
    Taylor Swift - Our Song
    Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
    Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles
    Rihanna - Umbrella
    Kanye West - Runaway
    Coldplay - Fix You
    The Ataris - Boys Of Summer

6. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Joe Budden - Staind. Really summed up how I was feeling at the time, for many many years.

Jay-Z - Beach Chair. It's a reflective song with an almost morbidly positive take.

Lil Nas X - Old Town Road. It's just a fun ******* song and the memes that came from it killed me. Had me in stitches.

Foo Fighters - Best of you - speaks for itself.

Nas - Ether - the most brutal diss track ever and culture shaping. When you make Jay-Z admit defeat, you are a God.

Eve 6 - Here's to the night - I think everyone has a sappy song about good times that were so good, but you didn't know how good they were. When life was at its most vibrant and every option was before you. When camaraderie existed because it felt like you HAD to have it to get through, even if you were just a youngster who didn't know better. What a ******* song.

Kanye West - Good morning - back when he was...sane? It's just a reminder of how talented he is.

Moonshine/Gorilla by Bruno Mars. I don't know why, but they are here. I'm a Bruno Mars fan, so this list felt wrong without him being on it.

Teardrop by Massive - Theme Song to House, one of my favorite shows. It's good, and gives a certain feel to it. Puts me on edge, but comfortably.

Locked Up by Akon - one of the biggest running jokes my friends and I ever had. Literally over ten years. It shouldn't be, because it's a sad song...but it be that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Nas - Ether - the most brutal diss track ever and culture shaping. When you make Jay-Z admit defeat, you are a God.
    from y/t comments:

calvinacb1
    3 months ago
    When Beyonce gets mad at Jay she doesn't argue..she plays this
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

King, please get a copy of The Rap Year Book if you haven’t already.

12. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    King, please get a copy of The Rap Year Book if you haven’t already.
    I am the Rap Year Book, Abe.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Imma go albums
    Depeche Mode Violator
    Might be two decades off thread prompt...but great damned album.

Great damned album.

Great.

Damned.

Album.

did I mention...

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    More than 10 but its like having lays potato chips, you just cant have 10. Lol

Muse- Take a Bow
    Junius- A Universe Without Stars
    The Ghost of a Sabre Tooth Tiger- Animals
    Mastodon- Octopus Has No Friends
    Devin Townsend- Stormbending
    Gary Numan- My Last Day
    Sigur Ros- Glosoli
    Project Pitchfork- Into Orbit
    Ayreon- To the Solar System
    Radiohead- Burn the Witch
    Gojira- L'Enfant Sauvage
    Anges Obel- Close Watch
    Hans Zimmer- Dream is Collapsing
    Fear Factory- Enhanced Reality
    Duffy- Rockferry
    The Meads of Asphodel- Rise in Godless Hell
    Above the Earth- All of Our Dreams
    Sahg- Sleeper's Gate to the Galaxy
    Lividity- Gut the Slut Before i ****
    Ghost- Ghuleh/Zombie Queen
    Black Anvil- Ultra
    Alcest- Away
    My Dying Bride- Deeper Down
    Akercocke- My Apterous Angel
    Enslaved- Thoughts Like Hammers
    Octopus has no friends is 2011 right?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Kinger I really like Teardrop too. Group 4 is my fav Massive Attack but Teardrop is probably better in most ways.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I was curious if Mark had a concert in Denver soon, but no. I found this review of a concert and this review made me think a bit.
    It was such a privilege to get to see Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek) play in LA last night. It is not often that I get to see a man my age doing what he does. He is a highly principled human being who has no tolerance for bad behavior. (Would continually call people out for acting stupid in the audience. Took away one ladies cell phone, because she kept texting and posting on social media.) It was nice to see a man who is a fully integrated human being. He could display such strong male aggression, anger, dislike but also be very empathic, loving, compassionate and kind. He saw no conflict between the two. He was able to hold space for the whole range of human emotions. Was very refreshing to see. He was also very human- not afraid to expose his insecurities in his songs and on stage. Half of the large audience seemed to leave mid-way through the 3 hour performance. Maybe they could not hold their attention for that long. People seemed terrified of the displays of aggression. I loved every minute of it. He was not looking for a fight. When he saw someone behaving like an idiot he had no hesitation to let them know that they where behaving badly. "I am trying to work here, get out. Go if you are bored," or "You have two legs to stand on. You have your health. You are at a concert. You are not being shot at or murdered right now so shut the **** up. You have nothing to complain about. Get it together or get out of here," he would say. In our overly PC society, where people try not to make waves, most people are not used to seeing this kind of behavior. It was not sensless aggression. It was intelligent and honest. He treats people like adults and if they are behaving poorly has no fear about letting them know. Was such an honor to get to be in the presence of a person like Mark last night.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Kinger I really like Teardrop too. Group 4 is my fav Massive Attack but Teardrop is probably better in most ways.
    omg...Teardrop is 1998. Right?

21. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

omg...Teardrop is 1998. Right?
    Yeah, we ****** up. By we, I mean....me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Yeah, we ****** up. By we, I mean....me.
    It blends together for me too. Had to triple check some stuff. Who even cares.

24. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information