Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Things Star Trek

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Default All Things Star Trek

I've been thinking that we need a thread for this like we already have for Star Wars. I saw this video & decided to would be a great to kick-off things off with

I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Name:  Unknown.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  9.4 KB

3. The Following User High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Big Star Trek fan. What is your favorite series AZ? I'm a DS9 fan myself, closely followed by TNG.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

TNG rocked as a kid.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I like it better than the other one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Although I like all of the post-TNG series better, I do wish they didn’t have so many “filler episodes” (many of which were just dumb) that served no purpose then to stretch out the seasons. My ranking of best to worse:

DS9: Although all of the series (except for the animated) had a lot of thought proving plotline, DS9 just did a better job at them. I also like the fluid political environment that required Captain Sisko to have the right balance of diplomat and a rock of strength in opposition to tyranny. Although the Federation did have high moral values, it also compromised those values from time to time in the name of political expediency, which added an element of realism that TNG lacked until towards the end of their series after DS9 raised the bar. However, what really puts it over the top for me is that it did the best job of consistently coming up with excellent conclusion episodes to their preceding cliff-hangers of any TV series of any kind that I’ve ever watched.

The Homecoming/The Circle/The Siege
    The Maquis (Part 1 & 2)
    Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast
    Way of the Warrior (Parts 1 & 2)
    Home Front/Paradises Lost
    In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light
    Behind the Lines/Favor the Bold/Sacrifice of Angels
    Penumbra/'Til Death Do Us Part/Strange Bedfellows/The Changing Face of Evil/When It Rains.../Tacking Into the Wind/Extreme Measures/The Dogs of War/What You Leave Behind (which were the series final 9 episode)

How many other series can produce such an impressive list over a 6 year span (I’m not counting the 1st season because it didn’t have any 2 part cliff hanger/conclusion episodes).

Enterprise: Captain Archer wanted to be an explorer & diplomat. Unfortunately, he kept getting caught in the middle of conflicts that he wanted no part of. He tried to resolve these situations as diplomatically as possible, but there some which required force. The 3rd season, which was a futuristic-fictional “9-11 scenario” (which started with the season 2 finale), was well done (aside from it having so many of the dumb filler episode I previously mentioned that really detracted from the flow of the season).

Voyager: Best job of any series of any kind in which so many characters developed over the seasons to become better than they were when they were 1st introduced. Ensign Kim developing from a raw academy graduate to a confident & competent officer. Paris & Neelix had backstories of being scoundrels who both grew to be reliable and intrical parts of the crew. B'Elanna had so much anger issues, especially towards Star Fleet, in the pilot episode that she only referred to Ensign Kim as “Star Fleet.” In the 2nd episode, she punched Lieutenant Carey & broke his nose because he got in her way when she wanted to do something differently then he said it should be done. Over the course of the 1st season, she became a model Star Fleet officer after she was promoted to chief engineer at the end of episode 2. Last, but certainly not least, 7 of 9 being disconnected from the Borg & the process she went through to regain her humanity that was stolen from her as a child.

TNG: It was good & obviously far better than the cheesy original. I’d also say that it was cutting edge because it wasn’t just a series of almost all standalone episodes that rarely tied into the prior ones. It was definitely 1st TV series that I can remember doing what’s now probably considered SOP for TV series, a single storyline through several episodes, some separated by several unrelated episodes &/or seasons. Although the original Battlestar Galactica did have a series of 6 consecutive episodes that did tie together, I just don't put what they did in that stretch the same league as TNG, which I see as pioneering the practice.

The Original: It may have been cutting edge for its time, but that’s not really saying much

The Animated Series: I guess it wasn’t any dumber than any other children’s cartoon from my childhood, but Super Friends was my #1 & Scooby Doo was probably a distant 2nd
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

I liked DS9 and TNG, but think Enterprise was my favorite.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I liked DS9 and TNG, but think Enterprise was my favorite.
    I love Scott balka or what ever his name is, but I couldn't get into that

Surprised they are not making a new series in the tradition of ten episode big budget tv shows these days, I bet that would be awesome

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I never saw any of Enterprise. It just never struck me as something I was dying to watch. Maybe I will one day just so can check it off my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I love Scott balka or what ever his name is, but I couldn't get into that

Surprised they are not making a new series in the tradition of ten episode big budget tv shows these days, I bet that would be awesome
    Oh Dave......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

13. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Anyone who doesn't appreciate the original Star Trek isn't really a Star Trek fan. It's easily #1.

Thanks father time!
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

star trek is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

18. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Thanks father time!
    It was an amazing show considering when it was made.

Like it or not, all the resurrections of the show are due to the original.

It's kind of like people complaining about the original Star Wars film not being up to standards of today's films in regard to CGI. Silly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I've enjoyed some of the movies, especially the newest ones. Couldn't get into any of the TV shows. I thought the Next Generation (?) shows and movies were not very good at all.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information