Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I hate technology!

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Lottery or convenience stores: there's gotta be some middle ground there
    As far as realistic solutions go, I must 1st identify my needs in order of priority:

1) I need any and all solutions to be as cheap as possible without it being unreliable, or too much a hassle for someone who is as inept with technology as I am to set up and operate.

2) I need a computer with a keyboard large enough for me to proficiently use. I’m 6’3” & have hands proportionate to someone that size, so my Surface’s mini-keyboard just doesn’t cut it.

3) I need internet access

4) I need to be able to project PowerPoint presentations on to screens for the benefit of audiences.

As far as options that I’m considering, in order of least to most expensive:

1) Other than the Wi-Fi issues, my laptop is still fully functional. Both it and my Surface have Bluetooth capability, and the laptop settings include, “Projecting to this PC.” So if I can get the 2 to “play nicely together,” then it should be able to solve all of my problems. I bet you’ve already guessed what the biggest problem to my plan is, I’m too inept with technology to make it work. However, I’m going to get together with a friend on Saturday who is reasonably competent, so hopefully he can figure out how to make it work.

2) Buy a full size Bluetooth keyboard that is compatible with my Surface. It would need to include at least 2 USB ports for my mouse and flash drives.

3) Buy a cheap desktop with a Bluetooth keyboard to do my major projects on at home, then transferring them to the Surface when necessary. It should be able to be set it up so I’m using the TV that I already own as a monitor.

4) Buy a cheap laptop to replace the old 1.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I can't get on the internet with my laptop

All of my other Wi-Fi devices (including my Surface tablet which I'm using to post this) can get online, but not my laptop

I've looked at every setting I know of...
    ...run trouble shooter...
    ...had my internet settings "forget" my Wi-Fi password so I could reenter it...
    ...but nothing has worked

I right clicked on the icon that shows all of the Wi-Fi signals available, clicked on "Open Network and Sharing Center," clicked on "Connections: [graphic shows how many Wi-Fi bars my current connection is picking up] Wi-Fi ([name of Wi-Fi connection]); which gives me my "Wi-Fi Status." The 1st 3 lines of which states:

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
    IPv6 Connectivity: No network access
    Media State: Enabled

What is IPv6 Connectivity and what do I need to do to change the setting? Could this fix my problem?

P.S. Didn't we use to have an emoji of someone smashing their computer with a sledgehammer? That's the 1 that truly expresses my feelings right now
    Disable IPv6, you most likely don't use that.
    Your list shows you do actually have internet access but for some reason you are not getting any response so you have something configured wrong or blocking.

Try to clear any proxy settings in your Internet Settings.
    Disable your internet security or antivirus software and test to see if you can get to yahoo or google (re-enable your internet security/antivirus)

what operating system you using, you stated it is a little older and you could be using XP or Win7... reset your stack.
    Windows XP: click CTRL + R and in the box type "netsh int ip reset"
    Windows XP SP2: click CTRL + R and in the box type "netsh winsock reset all"
    Windows 7: Press Windows logo + R and in box type "netsh int ip reset"

Restart your computer and see if that helps

If neither of those work open a command prompt and type ipconfig. Look in the list for what is listed as 'IPv4 Address', at home this should be something like 192.168.0.10 or 192.168.1.12. The 10 or 12 could be anything... if you get an address there you are connecting to your wifi, unless its a 169 address. Now look at that list again and find the number for 'Default Gateway', will be something like 192.168.0.1, get that number and type it into the address bar of your internet browser.

If you are connected to the wifi correctly you will be prompted for a login to your router and the problem is a configuration in your router which you will need to eithere look at or have your provider look at.
    Last edited by weazel; 06-02-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Turn it off and back on again.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Disable IPv6, you most likely don't use that.
    Your list shows you do actually have internet access but for some reason you are not getting any response so you have something configured wrong or blocking.

Try to clear any proxy settings in your Internet Settings.
    Disable your internet security or antivirus software and test to see if you can get to yahoo or google (re-enable your internet security/antivirus)

what operating system you using, you stated it is a little older and you could be using XP or Win7... reset your stack.
    Windows XP: click CTRL + R and in the box type "netsh int ip reset"
    Windows XP SP2: click CTRL + R and in the box type "netsh winsock reset all"
    Windows 7: Press Windows logo + R and in box type "netsh int ip reset"

Restart your computer and see if that helps

If neither of those work open a command prompt and type ipconfig. Look in the list for what is listed as 'IPv4 Address', at home this should be something like 192.168.0.10 or 192.168.1.12. The 10 or 12 could be anything... if you get an address there you are connecting to your wifi, unless its a 169 address. Now look at that list again and find the number for 'Default Gateway', will be something like 192.168.0.1, get that number and type it into the address bar of your internet browser.

If you are connected to the wifi correctly you will be prompted for a login to your router and the problem is a configuration in your router which you will need to eithere look at or have your provider look at.
    I think he said he's on Win10.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I think he said he's on Win10.
    Click Windows Logo + R

type netsh winsock reset and press enter.
    type netsh int ip reset and press enter.
    type ipconfig /release and press enter.
    type ipconfig /renew and press enter.
    type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

7. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Turn it off and back on again.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information