Thread: I need insights from those who attend Comicon.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Default I need insights from those who attend Comicon.

I saw a story on the news last night about Phoenix Comicon about an artist who is supposedly creating Autistic superhero, but how he’s funding it just doesn’t seem right to me. So I want to know from serious comicon fans if this is at least somewhat common, or is this guy pulling a scam on our community?

http://www.azfamily.com/story/355304...eI1sVwDI.email (skip ahead to 1:24)

They are raising money by accepting cash donations in a clear plastic container. I’m not an expert on these things, but has any comic book ever got its initial funding this way? I know vendors who want to set up displays at Autism conferences have to pay $100s if not $1000s. I’d imagine that it wouldn’t be any cheaper for comicon. I can’t imagine that they’re going to get enough money to cover the cost of their both. This whole thing reeks of a PR stunt that they arranged with the local media.

What would the motive be? All I can say for sure is that the lady who came up with this idea is an outsider to our community who observed a number of our youngsters, and their families, like their all a bunch of lab rats. Nothing good has ever come from people like this. This “superpower” that she invented is complete garbage that is probably the exact opposite of who Autistics function. Meanwhile, many of us have demonstrated some truly awesome abilities that she could base a superhero on, but won’t.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Yes, I'm taking this personally, which could be jading my interpretation of that facts that have been presented to me to this point.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Shane - 4

AZ/King - 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

4. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Shane - 4

AZ/King - 0
    Funny stuff there, my friend.

AZ...I had never heard of Comicon until my oldest went to one in Okinawa. He said he's scarred for life seeing adults like that....it was his first and last time.

6. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I guess its time to reboot this thread to get it back on topic

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I saw a story on the news last night about Phoenix Comicon about an artist who is supposedly creating Autistic superhero, but how he’s funding it just doesn’t seem right to me. So I want to know from serious comicon fans if this is at least somewhat common, or is this guy pulling a scam on our community?

http://www.azfamily.com/story/355304...eI1sVwDI.email (skip ahead to 1:24)

They are raising money by accepting cash donations in a clear plastic container. I’m not an expert on these things, but has any comic book ever got its initial funding this way? I know vendors who want to set up displays at Autism conferences have to pay $100s if not $1000s. I’d imagine that it wouldn’t be any cheaper for comicon. I can’t imagine that they’re going to get enough money to cover the cost of their both. This whole thing reeks of a PR stunt that they arranged with the local media.

What would the motive be? All I can say for sure is that the lady who came up with this idea is an outsider to our community who observed a number of our youngsters, and their families, like their all a bunch of lab rats. Nothing good has ever come from people like this. This “superpower” that she invented is complete garbage that is probably the exact opposite of who Autistics function. Meanwhile, many of us have demonstrated some truly awesome abilities that she could base a superhero on, but won’t.

Yes, I'm taking this personally, which could be jading my interpretation of that facts that have been presented to me to this point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Shane - 4

AZ/King - 0
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Funny stuff there, my friend.

AZ...I had never heard of Comicon until my oldest went to one in Okinawa. He said he's scarred for life seeing adults like that....it was his first and last time.
    I see no problem with girls in costumes and latex.

ahem.

*fit* girls.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Comic Con people are weird - could be a fraud.
    Last edited by Poet; 05-27-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

12. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I guess its time to reboot this thread to get it back on topic
    Tell you what man, sometimes even bad press can be good for the cause, if you know what I mean.

You won't know anything about it until you speak with those involved. From my perspective it looks like there is someone involved that cares about the issue. But like you day, I get why your hackles are up.

What are your decision points?

I've been to Comicon the last 7 years at my wife's request. New York has them for 4 days, Thursday-Sunday. Saturday is the best time and most active. I go Sunday to see the booths I didn't go to on Saturday because there is a lot and I mean A LOT of stuff.

Met Carrie Fisher very briefly last year. My friend took a pic with her. I didn't. Why? $150. I happened to run into her an hour after my friend took the pic due to a connection I didn't know I had at the time, but it was just a quick hello and handshake.

Also met William Shatner, Stan Lee, Anthony Daniels, most of the Walking Dead cast and a lot of wrestlers and actors. Same connection. It's an awesome time if you're into that stuff and prepare to walk ALL day.

As for the autistic superhero, everyone has their booths of new original material they're trying to sell, but I don't recall donations like this one. I can see why you're skeptical. He would really just be one among many and wouldn't stand out much.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    … everyone has their booths of new original material they're trying to sell…
    This is what I was needing to know, that there are venders there pitching new ideas. As far as the donations, the plastic container is obviously mass produced. I suspect that SARRC (Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center) has been orchestrating this entire project from day 1. After all, they are the supreme rulers of the Arizona Autism community, which enables them to get families to consent to having an outsider treat their children like lab rats. They’re also media darlings who can get the TV stations to send camera crews to an event at the drop of a hat.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Tell you what man, sometimes even bad press can be good for the cause, if you know what I mean.

You won't know anything about it until you speak with those involved. From my perspective it looks like there is someone involved that cares about the issue. But like you day, I get why your hackles are up.

What are your decision points?
    Actually, SARRC’s cause isn’t my cause. Just look at how they describe us on their website: https://www.autismcenter.org/autism-defined

Let me summarize for you: we’re a bunch of hapless, helpless neurological defects that need 2nd & 3rd parties to solve all of our problems & clean up all of our mess. Feel free to go to any or all of the 3 national organizations (Autism Society of America http://www.autism-society.org/about-the-autism-society/ , Autism Speaks https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism & National Autism Association http://nationalautismassociation.org...sm-fact-sheet/ ) & you’ll find the exact same depiction of us.

“Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a pervasive developmental disorder…”

SARRC
    “Pervasive”: Impacts all aspects of the individual’s life.

“Pervasive…disorder”: Negatively impacts all aspects of the individual’s life.

How does this, or making up fictional superpowers that are completely contrary to what is well established facts about Autism, “empower” Autistics? PR campaigns geared around having a more positive outlook on Autism is nothing more than bait & switch response to us being fed up their negative approach to us. They may have changed what they say to get us in the door, but how they deal with us is as negative as its ever been.

If these organizations want to “empower” us, then:

1) They need to overhaul their description of us in order to provide us with a basis for self-confidence and self-esteem.

2) If you want to create an Autistic superhero, then base their superpower on the most universal strengths that we’re known to have, superior memorization and ability to absorb facts.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Like Sherlock?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Like Sherlock?
    I couldn’t stand either of the 2 most recent adaptations when they 1st came to TV because of how over the top arrogant they both were. The American version (Elementary) was far worse than the British (Sherlock), but the American has become a lot more humble in recent seasons. I might give the British a 2nd chance on Netfix.

As far as his incredible ability for observation, that’s defiantly contrary to who I am, but I’m open to the possibility that other Autistics could. As far as my understanding of the know science at play, being able to make such finite observations should require you to dissect an environment in your head in order to focus on such small details. Its my understanding that this should require superior executive function (this would take a post longer than anything Joel has ever produced to explain), which just so happens to be our most universal weakness. So I doubt it.

If I was to create a cartoon superhero version of me, I’d have to be part of either the DC or Marvel Universes. That’s because when bad guy implements an evil plan, my character would remember every time any of the other superheroes in my universe faced a bad guy with a similar plan. So I’d start recounting the different ways that these bad guys were deal with by other superheroes in the past to my non-Autistic partner. We’d assess what did work as well as what didn’t to figure out which of those methods would work best in this situation.

19. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Comicon is for losers anyway.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information