Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Sloter is #1

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Overhyped for no real reason in tandem with expectations he could never actually meet?
    I was just going for training camp fan favorite.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Overhyped for no real reason in tandem with expectations he could never actually meet?
    I was thinking more a local boy who put up solid numbers in college who the Broncos took a flyer on for TC. Just the fact that they played their college ball in Colorado makes them instant legends of their first TC and fan favorites to make the roster.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

4. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Except there seems to be some question about whether Sloter would be safe on the PS. On the other hand, I seem to remember reading something about teams no longer having to pre-designate which IR player will return, so maybe. I still tend to doubt Kelly ever plays a down for us, because I think he suffers from a sense of entitlement and irresponsibility that just doesn't fly when a title contender drafts Mr. Irrelevant, and injury may limit his chances to show much in practice.
    Personally, I don't think Chad Kelly is ever likely to become a starting QB anywhere. But, lots of teams were apparently waiting to sign him as an undrafted FA. Elway grabbing him with the last pick of the draft thwarted those plans. So, they can't try and sneak him through waivers because somebody would pick him up. But, they can put him on IR and put Sloter on waivers when Kelly comes off. There's no way they prefer to keep Sloter over Kelly as a long-chance prospect. And frankly, it doesn't matter much.

Sloter would start the season as the #3 emergency QB. There are guys like that every year. Next year there are some much more talented QBs entering the draft. The only question is whether the Broncos will have to go back into the first round and take one - if neither Paxton nor Trevor shows signs of becoming a top 10 QB.

Remember that neither Kelly nor Sloter will be getting any 1st team reps. Those are designed for Paxton & Trevor. It's a 2 man race. Now if neither of them plays well enough to grab the starting job. . . .

But, Kelly is going to be injured through the start of the regular season so we're not seeing anything from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Personally, I don't think Chad Kelly is ever likely to become a starting QB anywhere. But, lots of teams were apparently waiting to sign him as an undrafted FA. Elway grabbing him with the last pick of the draft thwarted those plans. So, they can't try and sneak him through waivers because somebody would pick him up. But, they can put him on IR and put Sloter on waivers when Kelly comes off. There's no way they prefer to keep Sloter over Kelly as a long-chance prospect. And frankly, it doesn't matter much.

Sloter would start the season as the #3 emergency QB. There are guys like that every year. Next year there are some much more talented QBs entering the draft. The only question is whether the Broncos will have to go back into the first round and take one - if neither Paxton nor Trevor shows signs of becoming a top 10 QB.

Remember that neither Kelly nor Sloter will be getting any 1st team reps. Those are designed for Paxton & Trevor. It's a 2 man race. Now if neither of them plays well enough to grab the starting job. . . .

But, Kelly is going to be injured through the start of the regular season so we're not seeing anything from him.
    Probably a safe bet. If Siemian and Lynch BOTH crashed and burned, they'd still be under contract and make more sense in that emergency role than Sloter or Kelly would. I mean, we could cut Siemian with no loss, but we're scheduled to pay him league minimum each year: Sloter would only save a couple hundred thousand in cap space, and even you must agree Siemian's done more to "earn" an emergency #3 role than Sloter has, which is unlikely to change by this time next year.

Conversely, if one of Siemian/Lynch secures the starting job AND the other does well enough to become primary backup, we're still talking about an emergency #3 spot where most camp fodder is as good as any other, plus Sloter will be fighting a healthy Swag Kelly for that spot next year.

The harsh reality is that the difference between Mr. Irrelevant and an UDFA (especially among QBs) is negligible. Other teams may have been looking at Kelly, but if ANY of them had wanted him really badly they would have at least spent a final round pick on him before we had a chance to make him Mr. Irrelevant. The main practical difference between him and Sloter is that Sloter's healthy enough to practice now and has had to work his butt off for even the few opportunities he's gotten, so more likely to continue doing so rather than making rap videos and brawling with bouncers.

They're both long shots to make the team, much less remain on it, if only because Siemian and Lynch are BOTH still so inexperienced they'll need every second of coaching and practice time we can spare (leaving precious little for Sloter, however ready and willing he may be.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I was thinking more a local boy who put up solid numbers in college who the Broncos took a flyer on for TC. Just the fact that they played their college ball in Colorado makes them instant legends of their first TC and fan favorites to make the roster.
    Instant legends. Yep. Thats what everyone is saying.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

His arm can be huge but what about accuracy? That is the key.
    May Day and Spring Fever!

I personally know nothing about him and probably won't bother looking at highlight reels unless he shows he is real competition in camp.

My points in this thread are more at writing off a guy simply because he was undrafted and another guy was drafted. It may not be common but the cases are CERTAINLY out there proving drafted QBs can be busts and low drafted to undrafted QBs can be studs.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Does/should Chad Kelly, if he's healthy, or even Kyle Sloter get a chance to get first-team reps and even become a starter?

-- Taylor Rhodes

Not this year, unless injuries strike both Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch. Chad Kelly won't be throwing in practice until August because of the wrist injury he suffered leading up to his Pro Day. Realistically, it's all about 2018 for the seventh-round pick. Sloter has potential showed some good decision-making ability this week, but he's also an undrafted rookie who needs plenty of work.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I personally know nothing about him and probably won't bother looking at highlight reels unless he shows he is real competition in camp.

My points in this thread are more at writing off a guy simply because he was undrafted and another guy was drafted. It may not be common but the cases are CERTAINLY out there proving drafted QBs can be busts and low drafted to undrafted QBs can be studs.
    I've watched some of the highlights. Color me unimpressed personally. I guess I'm just missing what all these people are seeing. Seems like he's the new Bradley Van Pelt...

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Thats just not an intelligent statement at all. You should actually know what youre talking about before you use stats to reference your point of view.

I'll wait while you go and get backup for your statement.

Sloter is a stud no matter how you slice it. Read slowly the thread and the posts that arent yours.....and be taught.
    Lol I have nothing further to say, sloter isn't even going to make the team imo. You can keep gassing him up as the next romo or kurt warner if you want..... Wow naming 2 player's in the history of the game and thinking sloter is going to be #3? Ill be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by DT88TheGreat View Post
    Lol I have nothing further to say, sloter isn't even going to make the team imo. You can keep gassing him up as the next romo or kurt warner if you want..... Wow naming 2 player's in the history of the game and thinking sloter is going to be #3? Ill be watching.
    Translation "I can't backup my statements because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about"

Quote Originally Posted by DT88TheGreat View Post
    For the most part it is not people saying he will become the next Romo Or Warner, but rather the arguments are about you saying it is impossible.

Is it likely? No.

Is it impossible as you suggest? No.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

It's pointless, I'm not going to be arguing for day's about an undrafted QB who played against high school talent. So far ive learned the Broncos are in good hands though because Trevor is like tom fricking Brady and sloter is romo so no worries about the QB position in Denver with Brady and Romo on the squad.

People like the underdog, if this bothers you...get over it.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    For the most part it is not people saying he will become the next Romo Or Warner, but rather the arguments are about you saying it is impossible.

Is it likely? No.

Is it impossible as you suggest? No.
    It's borderline impossible. Like the thread is about sloter supposedly completing some passes against some 5th stringers who wont make the team either and he gets a hope thread?

I guess man. But if he is the 3rd person in the history of the game to be good like Romo ill get sloter tattooed somewhere on my body.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information