Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch John Elway's Third NFL Start...

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    No, but he was pretty bad his rookie year. 47% comp % with 7 TD and 14 Ints.

Yikes!
    He was a little better his second year. He had average stats but they won a lot of games due to good defense and a decent running game, with a little Elway superhumanism sprinkled in.

He had no business playing his rookie year and said so himself

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJWnxFHyAdA

Watch John Elway's third NFL start and keep in mind that Paxton Lynch will be making his third NFL start whenever it happens this season. Far from the polished QB we remember today, Elway's play doesn't resemble an overall #1 draft choice. He does all the things young QBs do - miss receivers, hang onto the ball too long, let the clock run long causing time outs, takes off when the first receiver isn't open, telegraphs his passes, etc.

My point is that if Lynch doesn't look like an All-Pro his next time out, don't discard him. He's going to be outstanding if we just give him time to gain confidence and let the game come to him.
    Elway's 3rd start was his 1st complete game. He was such a trainwreck in his 1st 2 starts that he got benched at halftime of both.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

We've been spoiled with all the great Elway years and then the fluky Tebow season then an over-ripe Peyton Manning, I think too many have unrealistic expectations of what a rookie QB should play like. We can't be afraid Lynch won't be perfect. He needs reps and confidence.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

5. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Probably just a rumor but I heard Beefstew and Brock were doing the cha-cha now.

Beef is the man.

IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Ho hum.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Probably just a rumor but I heard Beefstew and Brock were doing the cha-cha now.

Beef is the man.

Or the woman, depending on his mood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I don't disagree with you on the comparisons. People that were posting graphics about tebow through 12 starts vs elway through 12 starts made me roll my eyes so hard I pulled an ocular muscle.

That being said, anyone can look good in 3 or 7 step drops in shells in the bubble. He needs real game speed to get better, though. Hiding QBs on the bench, and for the love of God please don't say Aaron Rodgers, rarely equates to better play down the road. The kind of physical player he is, with how he was successful in playing collegiate ball, he needs to see the game first hand and try and figure it out. He's not smart enough to figure it out on the whiteboard.
    I in turn agree that even the best young QBs need real experience to season them (in every sense.) My reservations (especially last year) were not about whether Lynch, Siemian or [this space for hire] was the franchises future. My concern was and is whether we had or have the protection and run support to actually allow WHOEVER our franchise QB is to develop rather than devolve into an injury-prone spaz who spends the rest of his career throwing the ball away after a 0-step drop even when he has great protection, because he EXPECTS none.

Could/can we give ANY QB time to drop back, read moving defenses, go through progressions, look off safeties, let receivers get open deep, find check downs or even just pump fake? Sure, ALL great QBs need but NONE can develop all those critical abilities without opportunities. But real "opportunity" is more than just tossing a rookie in front of a stampede of pass rushers before he's even learned the playbook, expecting THAT experience "eventually" hones his skills til he's a great leader.

I want Peyton Manning or Derek Carr, not Archie Manning or David Carr. I mean, if we want to talk about innate and inherent talent and skill that simply can't be coached, those are great comparisons, because it's literally the same DNA (or at least 50% of it) with VASTLY different results. And if, as Broncos fans, we MUST use the Elway Metric, the best "development" of his rookie season and CAREER happened before he even arrived at his first training camp:

Refusing to play for a team so hopelessly bereft of a supporting cast it "earned" the #1 overall pick. Oliver Lucks son should've talked with BOTH HoF Denver QBs.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    I don't disagree with you on the comparisons. People that were posting graphics about tebow through 12 starts vs elway through 12 starts made me roll my eyes so hard I pulled an ocular muscle.

That being said, anyone can look good in 3 or 7 step drops in shells in the bubble. He needs real game speed to get better, though. Hiding QBs on the bench, and for the love of God please don't say Aaron Rodgers, rarely equates to better play down the road. The kind of physical player he is, with how he was successful in playing collegiate ball, he needs to see the game first hand and try and figure it out. He's not smart enough to figure it out on the whiteboard.
    This is what I am afraid of.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Yeah, but the frustration was that we were letting a guy with little talent and upside go out and learn instead of our talented QB. Looking back on hindsight, last year was a waste.
    Lynch wasnt ready and it showed in the limited action he had.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

Ryan Leaf struggled in his 3rd game. Is he now comparable to Elway too?

Only in hindsight. The point is valid, no QB is made or broken after 3 games regardless of how their career turned out. One guy even had a 3-16 record in Tampa Bay before going to San Fran and becoming a HOF'r. I think the overall point is it takes more than a handful of games to determine if a QB is a bust or not.

15. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    No, but he was pretty bad his rookie year. 47% comp % with 7 TD and 14 Ints.

Yikes!
    Clearly bust material.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Babalu!
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Clearly bust material.
    Unrelated note - I think any player can be a bust. So much of it is coaching, right scheme, injury luck, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    My point is, it's dumb to compare anyone in their 3rd game to an all time great player at any position.

Ryan Leaf struggled in his 3rd game. Is he now comparable to Elway too?

It's just dumb.
    I do agree and love Elway( like we all do), but at the same time, Joe, we shouldn't give up after the 3rd game either.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Unrelated note - I think any player can be a bust. So much of it is coaching, right scheme, injury luck, etc.
    Yeah totally, David Carr and that dude from Cleveland are great examples of wrong place wrong time

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information