Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelly tough: Jim Kelly beats cancer, believes new Bronco Chad Kelly will beat odds

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Kelly tough: Jim Kelly beats cancer, believes new Bronco Chad Kelly will beat odds

KUSA - Jim Kelly got a second chance at life. Maybe even a third chance and he’s going to fulfill it by making not about himself, but for others.

The Hall of Fame quarterback for Buffalo Bills during the John Elway quarterback era, Kelly was in Denver on Friday to make cancer victims aware of his all-encompassing Your Cancer Game Plan organization.

His trip in was well-timed as six days earlier, the Denver Broncos selected his nephew, Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly, with the No. 253 and final pick of the NFL Draft.

“If he comes back healthy, watch out,’’ Jim Kelly said. “Because he’s a heckuva quarterback.’’

As prospects go, Chad Kelly for the longest time was like an untamed colt who took a while to break. There were off-field skirmishes, including one that landed him briefly in jail. Elway, who is now the Broncos’ general manager, called his former colleague and fellow 1983 draft pick to ask about his nephew before drafting him.

“Bottom line is, those things happened three years ago,’’ Kelly said in an interview with 9NEWS. “People keep bringing that up and as an uncle and he’s my godson, it irritates me because he’s a good kid.

“And, yeah, he made stupid mistakes. But that was three years ago and they keep bringing it up. Most of those things happened when he was not even at Ole Miss and people keep bringing it up.
    rest - plus video
    http://www.9news.com/sports/kelly-to...odds/437116597

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

He's probably the most athletic of the four.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I know I'm somewhat negative of Chad, due to his attitude. When he's on his game, he is a damn good QB & football player.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Not sure about that but if he has the moxy the coaches will see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I know I'm somewhat negative of Chad, due to his attitude. When he's on his game, he is a damn good QB & football player.
    A couple of good ol' Denver Bronco NFL style head slaps should straighten out his attitude.
    If so, good, hope the kid gets healthy and competes.
    If not and can't turn his attitude around like Johnny Football can't, it's just a last 7th round pick down the drain.
    I'm sure Uncle Jim is going to put the pressure on the kid.
    If the Bronco staff and team leaders can't get this guy pointed in the right direction, no one can.

It will be interesting watching the kid develop and I wish him the best.
    Turn the page Chad and see the future !!!

May God Bless All The Men And Women Of Our Armed Forces, Past and Present
    The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing (Edmund Burke)

http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
    My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Az Snake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Az Snake View Post

A couple of good ol' Denver Bronco NFL style head slaps should straighten out his attitude.
    If so, good, hope the kid gets healthy and competes.
    If not and can't turn his attitude around like Johnny Football can't, it's just a last 7th round pick down the drain.
    I'm sure Uncle Jim is going to put the pressure on the kid.
    If the Bronco staff and team leaders can't get this guy pointed in the right direction, no one can.

It will be interesting watching the kid develop and I wish him the best.
    Turn the page Chad and see the future !!!
    Yep, AZ, we want what's best for our BRONCOS, and if Chad Kelly is the one, then looking forward to many Ws with him behind center.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

"Years ago", like the fight he got into with someone at his brother's high school football game this past fall?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

I'd say this kid has very little chance, especially as he's recovering from injury right now and won't be ready to play for a while. But, he's an intriguing physical prospect.

But, as we've seen with Trevor versus Paxton, when it comes to playing the mental is to the physical as three is to one. Peyton Manning wasn't a very athletic QB. He had an average arm, and no speed or elusiveness at all. All mental. QBs who rely on physical gifts are a short-term story in the NFL even if they succeed (Ex A: RG III).

Why do both coaching staffs, Kubiak and VJ love Trevor? Because he's Captain Checkdown. That is not an epithet to NFL coaches.

In the NFL coaches are risk averse. Their mantra isn't "throw it into a tight window and make something happen with your arm strength ala Jay Cutler." It's "Dont' turn the ball over for God's Sake!" And that's especially true with this defense. The defense will keep the Broncos in every football game. So long as the Offense doesn't turn the ball over.

That's why Trevor has a better chance to start this year than Paxton. And Chad Kelly has no chance at all this season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    "Years ago", like the fight he got into with someone at his brother's high school football game this past fall?
    *the brawl which he ran onto the field to join...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Az Snake View Post
    I know it's debatable; I'm just impressed with his running ability against SEC competition. I don't know if the other 3 could do that. They all have pretty lively arms, especially Lynch, Kelly and the kid from Northern Colorado

This is the past that had so many NFL teams take Kelly completely off their boards. They wonder (legitimately) if the kid really gets it or whether he's all talk and will get in off-filed trouble again because he's a hot-head. I don't profess to know the answer to that, but the record is not encouraging:
    Chad Kelly Timeline
    Fall 2008 Suspended for seven games during freshman season at Red Lion H.S.
    8/2009 Dismissed from Red Lion High School football team
    11/2009 Enrolls at St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute
    Fall 2010 St. Joe's wins Monsignor Martin Association AA title, Kelly MVP of title game
    6/2011 Commits to Clemson. Makes the Elite 11 finals
    Fall 2011 Leads St. Joe's to another title game
    4/13/2013 After redshirting, suffers ACL tear during Clemson spring game
    4/12/2014 Gets in argument with coaches during Clemson spring game
    4/14/2014 Dismissed from Clemson. A few days later is at East Mississippi C.C.
    12/6/2014 Helps lead EMCC to undefeated season and third national title in four years
    12/10/2014 Commits to Ole Miss, signs scholarship a week later
    12/21/2014 Arrested after late-night incident in Buffalo, numerous charges filed [that's the weapons charge where he threatened to go back to a club where he got in a fight and "spray the place".]
    1/2015 Hugh Freeze announces that they are "going to give it a go," Kelly enrolls
    3/2015 Settles legal issues, participates in mission trip to Haiti
    Who knows? Maybe he's put all that behind him and is ready to study hard.

17. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Also, good to hear Jim beat cancer, and has a second chance at life. Though, I've always been a BRONCO fan since the late 80s, I did root for the Bills in all those SBs.

Has he previously been supervised by a leader of men?
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    *the brawl which he ran onto the field to join...
    Regardless, it still shows his judgement can still be lacking. I hope he has grown up, but he still has to prove it.

I am rooting for Chad kelly, because if Paxton doesn't work out we have another franchise quarterback prospect.

All I know is.Kelly is Vance Joseph pick, Vance wants a chance to reel him in the way he connects with player's. If he can get to him then fine, if not he rrolled the dice on a 7th rounder.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information