Default Chad Kelly Sports Science

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

The kid blows it away.

He set records in SS.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

In that kind of setting just about any QB can be accurate. I think the problems for Chad is when he is in a live game environment and the pocket starts to disappear. The negatives all seem to be about the same for him in terms of his actual play (not including off the field and attitude problems);

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...r-broncos-pick

Kelly is a little bit of a backyard football player—opting to scramble around and make plays instead of making the easy play. He will look to be the hero instead of playing possession football. Kelly can miss big at times—both high and low—because he’s so rarely playing from the pocket and going through an actual delivery. Ball placement gets off, and he’ll struggle to get back in a rhythm.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...lly?id=2557869

Struggles to maintain early success after halftime defensive adjustments. Completed just 2-of-12 deep shots down the left sideline in 2016. Under-throws some deep balls when trying to pass with touch. Inconsistent air under the ball. Saw interception percentage skyrocket when throwing to left side of the field. Woeful on back-shoulder fades. When pressure heads his way, he tucks and scoots rather than stands and delivers. Has random bouts of inaccuracy on wide receiver screens and outs. Throws nose-dive on move throws. Inconsistent working through progressions. Fails to see wide-open receivers, opting instead to make his job harder. Mind appears to be racing at times.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/dra...y-qb-ole-miss/

Biggest concerns:

• Believes in his arm too much
    • Struggles to see defenders in front of the throw at times
    • Poor decision-maker late in the down
    • Operates best with half-field reads; does not show patience in the pocket needed for pure-progression, full-field reads
    • Tries to make “hero” throws too often
    • Lacks pocket discipline when forced to play off rhythm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...522/chad-kelly

Frenetic footwork and weight distribution in his release, relying on his arm. Stubborn decision-maker and has the bad habit of pre-determining his throws, staring down targets and not making the correct post-snap reads. Excessively confident in his arm strength and too willing to force passes into heavy coverage. Hot/cold pocket awareness, leading to panic moments

5. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Only defense i might add on his pocket presence is that he rarely had a pocket to throw from. The positive side of his negatives is that they are all coachable.

Not trying to make a comparison, but this is like reading a Brett Favre analysis.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

i dont care about the off the field stuff.

Every kid is a kid until he becomes a man.

#WordsofWisdom

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Believes in his arm too much

that is the most absurd criticism ever. Do they not want him to believe in his arm?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post

Not trying to make a comparison, but this is like reading a Brett Favre analysis.

Not really sure how to take that. lol

I mean, going back to the two guys we have they also have issues that can be deemed "coachable" yet you have pretty much written both off. Both also have not had a pocket worth a lick to throw from so.....

My only point in all this is that a lot of his issues sound a LOT like Jay Cutler. Kelly has talent but a lot of his mistakes seem to be in his head and he its not just a coachable issue it seems as he appears to have a lot of things that he needs to fix. He is like beyond a project at this point which is ok if Denver feels he will be worth it. But then you add in the injury issues he had along with the character issues and its like a recipe for disaster. Granted, he will be a 3rd string guy for a while as i dont really see him beating the other two out of job anytime soon but the very things you just said can easily be applied to the two guys we already have.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

The problem with Cutler is that he doesnt care. Not his choices

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Believes in his arm too much

that is the most absurd criticism ever. Do they not want him to believe in his arm?
    Its a valid criticism.

Sometimes a player can be overly confident and end up forcing the ball when it shouldnt be. One of the points in there said that he needs to learn to work through his progressions and learn to take what is there instead of forcing it, he needs to learn to utilize his teammates instead of putting it all on himself.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Its a valid criticism.

Sometimes a player can be overly confident and end up forcing the ball when it shouldnt be. One of the points in there said that he needs to learn to work through his progressions and learn to take what is there instead of forcing it, he needs to learn to utilize his teammates instead of putting it all on himself.
    Whats worse.... an over confident QB? or one who is afraid to throw it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Whats worse.... an over confident QB? or one who is afraid to throw it?
    I dont think it has to be either/or Falconian. I think if you can get said player to understand when and when not to force a ball and find ways to chip down the field when needed you can get a very good all around QB. The sentiment im getting is that Kelly seems to panic and start forcing things when shit hits the fan. I would assume when things are going right and the team is up big he is on point. But when things get dicey and close he starts to lose confidence and begins making mental mistakes. Thats the kind of mentality that has hurt QB's especially at the pro level.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I mean, going back to the two guys we have they also have issues that can be deemed "coachable" yet you have pretty much written both off. Both also have not had a pocket worth a lick to throw from so.....

My only point in all this is that a lot of his issues sound a LOT like Jay Cutler. Kelly has talent but a lot of his mistakes seem to be in his head and he its not just a coachable issue it seems as he appears to have a lot of things that he needs to fix. He is like beyond a project at this point which is ok if Denver feels he will be worth it. But then you add in the injury issues he had along with the character issues and its like a recipe for disaster. Granted, he will be a 3rd string guy for a while as i dont really see him beating the other two out of job anytime soon but the very things you just said can easily be applied to the two guys we already have.
    As it pertains to the guys we have now, I'll say Siemian doesnt have ANY of the physical tools Kelly does. You cant coach arm strength, escapability, etc. So that's an easy one.

In the case of Lynch...he does have those tools and you're right. It all comes down to coachability. If Lynch turns out to be coachable, then he has a chance. Who knows what to make of the rumors about his work ethic, but if Siemian wins the job this year, i think it spells the end for Lynch.

I'm not saying Kelly is the answer, but if he is able to be coached and grows up and heals right...he has the better tooks of the 3 QB's we currently have.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

fair enough, but i think alot of scouts are full of it, with comments like that.

21. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I would say between the ears, he is more like a Ryan Leaf type of hot head. Since he's a BRONCO, it''ll root for him to turn it around and be a damn good QB.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I followed him pretty closely being from Mississippi, and I think the dude is a total shit head. Maybe he'll grow up, and I hope for our sake he does, but that would require a bunch of fundamental changes on his part. I guess we'll see

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information