Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos draft grade: A

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Broncos draft grade: A

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/29/nf...cos-picks-list

GM John Elway opened Denver’s draft festivities by landing the offensive tackle he so badly needed (Garett Bolles, No. 20), and he did so without having to trade up. Also on Elway’s checklist headed into the draft: more bulk for the D-line, a big-play option on offense and perhaps a pass-catching tight end. Enter DT/DE DeMarcus Walker (No. 51), electrifying WR Carlos Henderson (No. 82) and TE Jake Butt (No. 145), who is on his way back from a torn ACL. Third-round cornerback Brendan Langley (No. 101) is a high-upside guy, as well, who should benefit immensely from watching the other Denver DBs. Elway also made perhaps the most fascinating Mr. Irrelevant pick ever: QB Chad Kelly. Does he have any chance of sticking on the roster?
    Garett Bolles, OT, Utah:Howard would have been tough to turn down had he made it one more spot. This, however, is where the Broncos always appeared to be headed in Round 1. The only real mystery was which tackle they would choose here in an attempt to fix their O-line. Bolles will be old for a rookie, but he also should be penciled in as Denver’s Day One starter on the left side, with Donald Stephenson and Menelik Watson battling it out on the right. Bolles’s ability on the move will give him a chance to be an elite run blocker within the Denver scheme.​ GRADE: B+
    DeMarcus Walker, DE, Florida State: The Broncos were not good enough up front on offense last year, so they took Garett Bolles in Round 1. And they were pushed around too much on defense, too, which makes Walker’s presence a strong addition. He can play end in a 3–4, and he’d also help the transition should Denver utilize more 4–3 post-Wade Phillips.​ Grade: B
    Carlos Henderson, WR, Louisiana Tech: Denver wanted to add a playmaker in this draft, it was just a matter of when the move would come. Here, the Broncos may have outdone themselves, if Henderson is as shifty an NFL receiver as he was in college. At minimum, he’s a TD threat every time he returns a kick or punt.​ Grade: A

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

The Grade on Bolles is: *Meh* - incomplete. He could be really good, but the fact he fell all the way to #20 tells you that he was not as high on any team's draft board as the top tackle in the draft normally is. This is, I believe, the first time in NFL history since the institution of the modern draft, that no LT has been taken in the top 15. And a LOT of teams desperately need a starting LT too. They just didn't see the upside potential they wanted in their #12 or #15 pick or whatever. Some people see a reach at #20, saying "the dude is 297 lbs. and you expect him to start? Say hello to JOey Bosa!"

Others think with the right coaching he could wind up being a long-term pro-bowl starter like Ryan Clady.

But, what I'm really devastated over is the trade of Kapri Bibbs. I'm actually crying! Oh, wait, actually I'm not! Ah well Kapri good luck somebody wanted you - don't wait for them to ask themselves "why?" - just get out there and start picking up the coach's dry cleaning or something.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Some people are saying Bolles is the Next Bruce Matthews.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Interesting. Even Kevin, Jake and Mike Matthews never became their dad. (Holding out hope for Luke)

#AggieNation

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    bolles is walter jones bruce matthews orlando pace gary zimmerman willie roaf all rolled into one

hall of fame first season confirmed 2-3 pancakes every single play going to be like the hype behind tony mandarich except for real

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Thanks for posting North. I like to read the opinions of people who do this for a living.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Thanks for posting North. I like to read the opinions of people who do this for a living.
    Lmao

Oh man. What your saying? That you dont value North's almighty 2 cents on here? You think im a hack? Lol JK.

Im just teasing you of course.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm a little unsure on bolles but I loved the picks of Walker, Henderson, and butt. I remember watching Walker single-handedly beat Ole Miss and our new friend Chad Kelly. Henderson also seems like a perfect fit for our returner/playmaker needs. And butt is obviously a steal if healthy. Kelly I really hate and think he is a complete turd who will do nothing in the NFL, but I guess I don't mind the gamble with a 7th round comp pick. He does have the talent if he ever gets his head screwed on straight.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I thinkI concur with SI's grade this year.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm a little unsure on bolles but I loved the picks of Walker, Henderson, and butt. I remember watching Walker single-handedly beat Ole Miss and our new friend Chad Kelly. Henderson also seems like a perfect fit for our returner/playmaker needs. And butt is obviously a steal if healthy. Kelly I really hate and think he is a complete turd who will do nothing in the NFL, but I guess I don't mind the gamble with a 7th round comp pick. He does have the talent if he ever gets his head screwed on straight.
    Walker had a big game against Ole Miss...but Kelly looked really good that game too.

If he gets his head straight and the injuries get right...he'll be our starting QB in the next few years.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Interesting. Even Kevin, Jake and Mike Matthews never became their dad. (Holding out hope for Luke)

#AggieNation
    I didn't say WHO was saying that.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default John Elway drafted Chad Kelly after plug from Jim Kelly

John Elway and Jim Kelly were both first-round picks in the 1983 NFL Draft and they reconnected during this year’s draft, although it was much later in the process.

Elway called Kelly as part of his role as the Broncos General Manager in order to ask Kelly about his nephew Chad, who dealt with off-field issues and injuries during a college career that also featured some strong quarterback play at Ole Miss. The younger Kelly got a plug from his uncle that helped Elway decide to use the final pick of the 2017 draft on the quarterback.

“I called his uncle, and he said, ‘He’s a good kid,'” Elway said, via ESPN.com. “I said, ‘OK, that’s all I need.’ I trust Jim with that. Obviously, there’s been some history there, but we felt comfortable. Chad understands what he’s been through and is ready to take this step and realizes the step that he’s taken is different than when he was in college. We’re full of confidence that Chad’s going to be able to come up here and understand the situation he’s in.”

Elway said the vetting process went beyond talking to Uncle Jim and coach Vance Joseph said he’s confident that Kelly has learned from past “childish mistakes.”

A different review may have pushed the Broncos in a different direction, which would have left Kelly to weigh offers to sign as an undrafted free agent. That could have led to better odds of making a 53-man roster, although Joseph also said Kelly was his favorite quarterback in this year’s draft so Denver might have been the best spot under any circumstances.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rom-jim-kelly/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

18. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

So Chad kelly is Vance Joseph guy. Interesting.

I give the draft an A as well. Every pick was a good pick and kelly was worth the gamble where he was picked.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

For me, the most intriguing picks are Butt (who looks like an Owen Daniels/Todd Heap type "grinder" - which is exactly what we need - more than a Jimmy Graham/Julius Thomas type "receiver only"), and the 2 Hendersons. We really needed a guy like Carlos who can take a short pass and get YAC and after looking at some highlights of Deangelo, he looks like a CJ/MJD clone. Short, compact, thick lower body, powerful, but with some shiftiness. Looks like a fire hydrant out there and will be tough to arm tackle. I love backs like that.

The Langley pick is a little questionable and I was hoping we could get Richardson from the Jets for a 3rd rounder, but overall I give the draft a solid B+. I hope Bolles can be the guy we need. The only pick that I probably would changed is Foster for Bolles. Foster is an instant impact player (provided his shoulder isn't AFU). I think we could've gotten a different tackle in the 2nd without much drop off from Bolles.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 04-30-2017 at 02:09 PM.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Getting Butt in the 5th round was the highlight of the draft for me. I love me some Butt.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information