Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Mark Schlereth Calls Out Elway To Make A Trade Happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    2003 had Jordan Gross and Kwame Harris as 1st round picks according to Cooney's pre-draft scout rankings, and George Foster as a 1-2. Worse class, just last decade.

2004 has 2 1's, Robert Gallery and Shawn Andrews.

2005 had 3 1's at OT like this year. Alex Barron, Khalif Barnes, and Jammal Brown, but then no one after that until 2-3.

2006 pretty similar. D'Brick Ferg, Winston Justuce as 1's, and McNeill & Winston as 1-2's.

Btw, decades are like this:

1980-1989, 1990-1999, 2000-2009, etc., if that helps.
    You think I'm making this "worst class in decades" stuff? Other teams like the Vikings are facing the same grim reaper. They desperately need OL help, but there just isn't any help coming soon via the draft:

Dearth of offensive linemen in draft creates dilemma
    By DAVE CAMPBELL
    — Apr. 26, 2017 5:55 PM EDT

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The deficiency on Minnesota's offensive line made that position the obvious priority for offseason improvement on a team that stumbled to an 8-8 finish.

By the second day of the NFL's open market last month, the Vikings had two free-agent tackles signed for their starting lineup. They simply couldn't afford to wait for the rookies this spring.

"I don't know if this will be an aberration or if this just is a picture of what the future will be," Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said, "but this year's offensive line draft is the poorest I can remember in terms of the quality of depth."

What's more, the Vikings don't have a pick this weekend until halfway through the second round, at No. 48 overall.

Uh-oh.

"Top to bottom, from player one to player 20 on the o-line, I knew in October that this was not going to be a strong group," Savage said. "I think you've got to have an offensive line coach who's willing to try to train and develop these players, because a lot of these guys are not going to be instant coffee, coming straight into the NFL."

The Vikings aren't alone with this dilemma.

The Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks are two otherwise-strong teams whose 2016 seasons were hindered by weakened offensive lines. The Cincinnati Bengals missed the playoffs for the first time in six years and lost their two best blockers, left tackle Andrew Whitworth and right guard Kevin Zeitler, in free agency. The Los Angeles Chargers have squandered prime seasons for quarterback Philip Rivers with an inability to protect and support him with better blocking.

"There's not a forest of offensive linemen trees out there that you can just run out to the back yard," Seahawks general manager John Schneider said.
    You can spin all you want to but this is the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl saying this is the worst draft class for OL he can remember. That's bad. Period. He's saying bluntly that anybody who drafts one of these linemen will have to be patient and have "an offensive line coach who's willing to try to train and develop these players", because "a lot of these guys are not going to be instant coffee, coming straight into the NFL." That's him saying "these guys I'm watching are not NFL ready and you need to be patient and develop them.

Are there exceptions? Not really:
    Wisconsin tackle Ryan Ramczyk, Alabama tackle Cam Robinson, Utah tackle Garett Bolles, Western Kentucky guard Forrest Lamp, Indiana guard Dan Feeney and Temple guard Dion Dawkins are the leading candidates, but none of them without come without questions or concerns. Ramczyk, for one, had surgery on his right hip in January and started only one season for the Badgers.

There's a chance they'll all slip through the first 20 selections, too. Over the last four years, between four and eight offensive linemen in each draft have been top-20 picks.
    Can any of these players step in and be a day 1 starter? Every sign is pointing to "no." None is regarded as an elite talent, which is why none may be taken before #20. There are problem areas for every single one of these guys. And that's not normally as true for the very top, first round guys. This year is different.

Some years there are just no good QBs in the entire draft. But, it's an abnormal draft when there is no Pro-Bowl caliber T in the draft. This year could be that year.
    Last edited by Cugel; 04-26-2017 at 08:17 PM.

I didn't know that anything (senior) bowl was the end all be all of opinions. I'll have to pay attention to the senior bowl for once now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Cugel, just own it, man. It was too strong a statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Yeah the worst class ever is a strong statement, there are 3 with first round grades, then you have lamp who has LT ability even though he may start at guard. And a bunch of other guy's who are projects surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    You think I'm making this "worst class in decades" stuff? Other teams like the Vikings are facing the same grim reaper. They desperately need OL help, but there just isn't any help coming soon via the draft:

You can spin all you want to but this is the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl saying this is the worst draft class for OL he can remember. That's bad. Period. He's saying bluntly that anybody who drafts one of these linemen will have to be patient and have "an offensive line coach who's willing to try to train and develop these players", because "a lot of these guys are not going to be instant coffee, coming straight into the NFL." That's him saying "these guys I'm watching are not NFL ready and you need to be patient and develop them.

Are there exceptions? Not really:

Can any of these players step in and be a day 1 starter? Every sign is pointing to "no." None is regarded as an elite talent, which is why none may be taken before #20. There are problem areas for every single one of these guys. And that's not normally as true for the very top, first round guys. This year is different.

Some years there are just no good QBs in the entire draft. But, it's an abnormal draft when there is no Pro-Bowl caliber T in the draft. This year could be that year.
    When has there ever been a draft where all the QBs were bust? Also when has there ever been a draft where all the OL were bust? Half these guy's if they somehow don't make it at LT they should be elite guard's. I think Robinson, Bolles, Ramcyk and maybe Lamp all have a chance to be good tackles.

6. The Following User High Fived DT88TheGreat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information