Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Joseph talks QB Competition

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Default Joseph talks QB Competition

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-paxton-lynch

Now that Tony Romo is out of the picture, the Denver Broncos' quarterback job is up for grabs between Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch.

Although coach Vance Joseph has preached an open competition between the incumbent starter and the 2016 first-round draft pick, Siemian remains the favorite to be under center in Week 1.

After speaking with Joseph, NFL Network's James Palmer told Omar Ruiz of Up to the Minute Live that Siemian has the "upper hand" entering the offseason program.

Siemian might have been widely viewed as a pet project of former coach Gary Kubiak, but the new coach has been impressed after taking an in-depth look at the 2016 game film.

Despite subpar pass protection and an inconsistent ground attack, the Broncos coaching staff believes "he played very well last season," Palmer added. "They believe he played at a higher level than many assume."

Joseph went a step further, maintaining that Siemian didn't get the credit he deserved in league circles.

The high praise didn't end there, either. Joseph also raved about Siemian's intelligence and intangibles.

"Players want to play for him," Joseph told Palmer. "They want to win for him."

Joseph has taken a different view of the raw but talented Lynch, pointing to leadership, studying and understanding the offensive system as areas in need of improvement.

If Lynch does make significant strides in those areas, he can turn this into a legitimate battle by training camp.

From the tone of Joseph's comments, though, it certainly doesn't appear that Siemian has lost any ground since December. Palmer reported at the time that the former seventh-round pick was regarded inside Broncos headquarters as the likely starter for the next couple of seasons.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

From the mouths of leaders of men...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

in case you missed this line

Palmer reported at the time that the former seventh-round pick was regarded inside Broncos headquarters as the likely starter for the next couple of seasons.

6. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Watching how this plays out will be interesting. Denver goes 9-7 with Trevor in his first year to which the kid did a fair job for a first time starter. Now, the new coach (not the old one) is saying the same things the former one did in terms of the teams respect and like for Siemian but somehow the guy has managed to have a bandwagon of haters against him. The only bad thing in all this is if Trevor keeps the starting job it means we wasted a pick on Lynch that could of gone to another position unless they trade Paxton for some kind of compensation. I hope Trevor continues to win the job and improves even more.

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

The Siemian train is starting to roll!

MO, get onboard!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    The Siemian train is starting to roll!

MO, get onboard!!
    Is that like at the end of the night at a long party when the only way to get home is get in the car with a drunk driver?

Well, guys...it's the only option.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Is that like at the end of the night at a long party when the only way to get home is get in the car with a drunk driver?

Well, guys...it's the only option.
    Do a quick comparison of Trevor's stats from last year vs. Brady's stats his second year in the league.

#GOAT
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Milk toast.

16. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Watching how this plays out will be interesting. Denver goes 9-7 with Trevor in his first year to which the kid did a fair job for a first time starter. Now, the new coach (not the old one) is saying the same things the former one did in terms of the teams respect and like for Siemian but somehow the guy has managed to have a bandwagon of haters against him. The only bad thing in all this is if Trevor keeps the starting job it means we wasted a pick on Lynch that could of gone to another position unless they trade Paxton for some kind of compensation. I hope Trevor continues to win the job and improves even more.
    From what I've read here over the years.....What happened to 2-3 yrs to develop? Is the new standard that QBs coming out of college should be NFL ready from day 1? I agree with you and believe Siemian did a fine job. I would like to see Lynch given more time to be NFL ready.

18. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    From what I've read here over the years.....What happened to 2-3 yrs to develop? Is the new standard that QBs coming out of college should be NFL ready from day 1? I agree with you and believe Siemian did a fine job. I would like to see Lynch given more time to be NFL ready.
    It is still 2-3 years to develop. Its a rarity that a QB will come in and simply play lights out. Even as great as Dak played this year he benefitted a LOT from Elliot who also had a monster year and one of the best Oline's in football. Guys like Carson who started hot cooled off pretty quickly when the league started to catch on later in the year are the norm when it comes to young QB's. Same with Trevor, we saw some times when he looked pretty good and other times not so much but there are always growing pains the first couple of years. I dont care if you draft a first round QB or a 7th round QB, if they are your starter than they will need time to develop and catch up to the speed of the NFL and learn the a much broader playbook than they had in college. Lynch may have better attributes and athleticism but if he cant grasp the playbook as well as Trevor or outplay him in practice than you go with the guy who is more up to speed and at the moment that seems its Trevor.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

22. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Unfortunately guys don't get two years to develop on the bench anymore. I want Lynch to earn his way onto the field, but he's also got to get a shot, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Can we please not do the absurd comparison between Brady and Trevor Siemian as first year starters? Because Brady played with significantly different rules. I'm not trying to be rude, but it's not accurate at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

It's interesting that two different coaches have talked up Siemian so much now. The part about Lynch not "understanding " the offense makes me concerned a bit. Intelligence was a worry when we drafted him.

Still, not sure how much we can judge either of them considering we're unveiling an entirely new offense this year

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

I would rather see them develop the bigger, stronger armed more mobile kid. It's not about being impatient with Trevor Siemian. Of all the mistakes Kubiak made last year, that was his biggest. I think it's one of the reasons he isn't the coach anymore.

28. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information