Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Security Cameras

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Thanks but this seems more involved than I was hoping for. Isn't Nest wireless?

Not yet. But there have been some burglaries and suspicious activity in my neighborhood.

Awesome - this is what I was hoping to hear. I think I'm going to pull the trigger. Any tips on models or setup or anything?
    The models are straightforward I believe, indoor or outdoor. Make sure you have the outdoor one.

The cable that is on the camera itself is about 10 foot long, the end is USB, and the "power puck" the USB cord plugs into has its own 15' cord for a total cord length of 25'. Make sure you plan for that. If you need longer you can buy a USB extender. Go to where you plan on setting up the camera and check your WiFi signal in that spot before you make the purchase as it would suck to buy it then learn the WiFi isn't working in that spot.

Mine is actually outside my brick home mounted on the garage (separate building) and picks up WiFi perfectly, but better safe than sorry. The install is straightforward. Download the app, setup your account, plug the camera in and add it to your account, go install it. You'll want to have a cordless drill handy to put in the screws that come with the cable clamps and mounting surfaces. The camera mount is actually magnetic so it's very easy to position.

Outside of that just make sure your location has an available power outlet within 25 linear feet, and make sure it has a good view of the area.

Here's a screen shot I just took with mine. I need to trim that tree back a little to get a better view of the driveway gate, but you can see that you get a great picture even in the rain. The night vision is very clear as well. Don't overpower it with lights at night, if they're pointing AT the camera it will give it a big glare.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nest screen shot.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10397

Anyhow, feel free to hit me up with any questions. You're free to text/call me during install if needed, I'll give you my number if needed.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I'm just glad I live in an area where I don't feel the need to have this type of security.

Buff, screw the security cameras. Get a German Shepherd.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm just glad I live in an area where I don't feel the need to have this type of security.
    I could probably catch some cool wildlife action video.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    Buff, screw the security cameras. Get a German Shepherd.
    teach it german as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    I could probably catch some cool wildlife action video.
    A coyote was wandering around my cul-de-sac this morning. I wanted to see him eat some of the GD rabbits that are already wreaking havoc.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

A coyote was wandering around my cul-de-sac this morning. I wanted to see him eat some of the GD rabbits that are already wreaking havoc.
    We had a ******* alligator hanging out at the canal that borders my neighborhood. Everyone was freaking out over a couple dogs being loose because they have a tendency to mess with the alligator and get snatched up.

10. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    The models are straightforward I believe, indoor or outdoor. Make sure you have the outdoor one.

The cable that is on the camera itself is about 10 foot long, the end is USB, and the "power puck" the USB cord plugs into has its own 15' cord for a total cord length of 25'. Make sure you plan for that. If you need longer you can buy a USB extender. Go to where you plan on setting up the camera and check your WiFi signal in that spot before you make the purchase as it would suck to buy it then learn the WiFi isn't working in that spot.

Mine is actually outside my brick home mounted on the garage (separate building) and picks up WiFi perfectly, but better safe than sorry. The install is straightforward. Download the app, setup your account, plug the camera in and add it to your account, go install it. You'll want to have a cordless drill handy to put in the screws that come with the cable clamps and mounting surfaces. The camera mount is actually magnetic so it's very easy to position.

Outside of that just make sure your location has an available power outlet within 25 linear feet, and make sure it has a good view of the area.

Here's a screen shot I just took with mine. I need to trim that tree back a little to get a better view of the driveway gate, but you can see that you get a great picture even in the rain. The night vision is very clear as well. Don't overpower it with lights at night, if they're pointing AT the camera it will give it a big glare.

Name:	Nest screen shot.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	10397

Anyhow, feel free to hit me up with any questions. You're free to text/call me during install if needed, I'll give you my number if needed.
    This is great - thank you...

Side note - I sealed my basement concrete last weekend per your recommendation.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    This is great - thank you...

Side note - I sealed my basement concrete last weekend per your recommendation.
    You're quite welcome. You're a hell of an American and a good homeowner Buff. I think Davii's man thread still exists somewhere next time you're in need.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

We had a ******* alligator hanging out at the canal that borders my neighborhood. Everyone was freaking out over a couple dogs being loose because they have a tendency to mess with the alligator and get snatched up.
    We have a couple of very large hawks that live near us. The other day, we had a few rabbits in our back yard, and the hawks (twice) swooped down to try and catch them. It was really cool to watch. I wish I had my phone handy to video or snap pictures of it. Their wingspan is probably close to 6-7 feet.

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I literally JUST put up two Ring Doorbell systems in my front and backyard. Really nice video quality, I can switch to live view whenever I want, wireless installation, etc. Took a bit of trial and error to set up the motion sensors juuuust right but they work perfectly now. Plus I like the 2 way audio when someone actually hits the ringer. I can see them but they can only hear and talk to me. Makes me feel like a big shot rich guy. The batteries charged up in about 4 hours and with standard use can probably last 8-10 months. I've already used it today to check out a live view of a package that UPS delivered to see where it was.

Most of the criminals in my neighborhood aren't smart enough to cut my cable Internet before trying to steal a package or a bike, I'm just trying to avoid crimes of opportunity or know when not to answer the door even though I have a No Solicitation sign. Last year it turns out some homeless dude was charging his phone off my external outlet, it would be nice to just yell at him through my camera that the cops are on their way instead of in my boxers like I had to last time. If someone REALLY wants to get into your house they are going to do it, I just want to know when it happened and maybe get a quick video of them. I wonder what Demarcus Ware used when he caught the dudes that broke into his house? I can't remember.

EDIT: Took a quick screenshot from my phone. Like I said I went this route because it's wireless though you can run a solar charger to it or run it off your existing doorbell wiring if you don't want to charge it once a year. They also sell stickup cams. I think it's $30/year for cloud recording:

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	10400
    Last edited by MasterShake; 03-30-2017 at 04:01 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

We have a couple of very large hawks that live near us. The other day, we had a few rabbits in our back yard, and the hawks (twice) swooped down to try and catch them. It was really cool to watch. I wish I had my phone handy to video or snap pictures of it. Their wingspan is probably close to 6-7 feet.
    A security camera in your backyard would have come in handy, now wouldn't it have?

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I literally JUST put up two Ring Doorbell systems in my front and backyard. Really nice video quality, I can switch to live view whenever I want, wireless installation, etc. Took a bit of trial and error to set up the motion sensors juuuust right but they work perfectly now. Plus I like the 2 way audio when someone actually hits the ringer. I can see them but they can only hear and talk to me. Makes me feel like a big shot rich guy. The batteries charged up in about 4 hours and with standard use can probably last 8-10 months. I've already used it today to check out a live view of a package that UPS delivered to see where it was.

Most of the criminals in my neighborhood aren't smart enough to cut my cable Internet before trying to steal a package or a bike, I'm just trying to avoid crimes of opportunity or know when not to answer the door even though I have a No Solicitation sign. Last year it turns out some homeless dude was charging his phone off my external outlet, it would be nice to just yell at him through my camera that the cops are on their way instead of in my boxers like I had to last time. If someone REALLY wants to get into your house they are going to do it, I just want to know when it happened and maybe get a quick video of them. I wonder what Demarcus Ware used when he caught the dudes that broke into his house? I can't remember.
    Racking a shotgun does wonders to speed things along as well.

21. The Following User High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post

Looking at that Skybell that Weazel posted, looks pretty intriguing. It says it works with Nest, so I wonder if I can even view it over my Nest Home app as well.

23. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Looking at that Skybell that Weazel posted, looks pretty intriguing. It says it works with Nest, so I wonder if I can even view it over my Nest Home app as well.
    I don't think you can go wrong with most of the types they have available as long as they do what you want them to do. My friend does the Nest cams on his garage only (he is a contractor and has tons of expensive tools and equipment) and he loves them. Boils down to cost to operate and quality I guess.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information