Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL proposes rules changes for 2017 season

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default NFL proposes rules changes for 2017 season

NFL head of officiating Dean Blandino on Thursday announced proposed rules changes for the 2017 season (via ProFootballTalk). The most surprising new rule would be that all penalties, including ones that were unreviewable in the past, could be challenged.

Here are the other proposed rules changes:

— Jumping over the line to block an extra point or field goal attempt would be outlawed.

— The rule moving touchbacks to the 25-yard line, which was passed on a temporary basis last season, would be made permanent.

— The automatic ejection for two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, which was also passed on a temporary basis last season, would be made permanent.

— Protection of defenseless players would be expanded to include receivers running routes, when they’re tracking the quarterback or looking back for the ball, even within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

— The referee would be allowed to make replay announcements during commercial breaks, rather than waiting for the TV broadcast to resume.

— A 40-second clock after extra points would be instituted when going to a kickoff if there is not a commercial break.

— The length of halftime would be standardized to 13 minutes and 30 seconds, rather than allowing the referee to give teams additional time to get in and out of the locker rooms.

— The league office would be given final say over replay decisions, with input from the referee.

— Sideline replay monitoring would be eliminated, with a tablet being handed to the referee on the field to review replays in consultation with the league office.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news...d1245o6dnjzkps

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Biggest news to me is that the league office is essentially taking over replay decisions.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I like being able to challenge penalties. I like the changes to speed up play (replay announcement, 40 second clock on kickoff, time in locker rooms). That time in locker rooms really gives some teams a bigger homefield advantage. Like, well, the Broncos for instance. Not sure if you guys have been on a stadium tour or not, but the visitors have to walk a long way from their locker room to the sidelines where the Broncos have a very quick walk into the locker room from theirs. This gives the Broncos an advantage at home where the other team really isn't going to have much time for halftime speeches, treatment, etc.

I don't think I like the defenseless receiver because he's looking at the QB even within 5 yards, I don't see the need for it. Can someone educate me on why?

I REALLY don't like the no jumping over the line on kicks. Stupid rule. Why make that change? If a guy is athletic enough to make that leap without leaping off of someone else that's something a team should be able to use for their advantage. If jumping is the problem then RBs can't do it at the goal line anymore either.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I like being able to challenge penalties. I like the changes to speed up play (replay announcement, 40 second clock on kickoff, time in locker rooms). That time in locker rooms really gives some teams a bigger homefield advantage. Like, well, the Broncos for instance. Not sure if you guys have been on a stadium tour or not, but the visitors have to walk a long way from their locker room to the sidelines where the Broncos have a very quick walk into the locker room from theirs. This gives the Broncos an advantage at home where the other team really isn't going to have much time for halftime speeches, treatment, etc.

I don't think I like the defenseless receiver because he's looking at the QB even within 5 yards, I don't see the need for it. Can someone educate me on why?

I REALLY don't like the no jumping over the line on kicks. Stupid rule. Why make that change? If a guy is athletic enough to make that leap without leaping off of someone else that's something a team should be able to use for their advantage. If jumping is the problem then RBs can't do it at the goal line anymore either.

Keep in mind, the defenseless receiver thing is contact to head/neck area. With that in mind, I don't think it's a huge issue.

They really do need to come up with some rules to bring passing offenses back in check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Sounds like they are trying to speed up the game, too. I'm tired of a score, commercial, kickoff, then BACK to commercial. Of course they aren't interested in losing ad revenue so I'm sure we will so more shots of coaches holding Microsoft Surface pads, and maybe we will start hearing audibles like "Blue 22!... Macbook Pro! Macbook Pro!... set.. hike!"

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

The rule against 'jumping over the line' is ridiculous.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    We would be 8-8 without that rule last season! One of the more exciting plays, and if I recall it happened a few times.

14. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Yea, if they are going to do that....just give them the point and fire the kickers.

16. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Yea, if they are going to do that....just give them the point and fire the kickers.
    I hate kickers! **** yeah! **** YEAH!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    We would be 8-8 without that rule last season! One of the more exciting plays, and if I recall it happened a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Yeah, I don't get this one. As Davii stated, if a player is athletic enough to be successful to jump over the line and block a kick, that's impressive and deserves a slap on the ass.

20. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

GEM

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I think their worry with the leaping issue is when players who AREN'T athletic enough try it, and wind up landing on the center who has his head down snapping it. When a RB leaps over the line, you aren't dealing with players in a vulnerable position like that.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think their worry with the leaping issue is when players who AREN'T athletic enough try it, and wind up landing on the center who has his head down snapping it. When a RB leaps over the line, you aren't dealing with players in a vulnerable position like that.
    Jumping + cleats+ head and neck = an eventual major injury that makes people go 'why was this legal in the first place?' and a whole lot of shit.

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    They really do need to come up with some rules to bring passing offenses back in check.
    I think that's why defensive backs are allowed to get away with so much holding.

26. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Sounds like they are trying to speed up the game, too. I'm tired of a score, commercial, kickoff, then BACK to commercial. Of course they aren't interested in losing ad revenue so I'm sure we will so more shots of coaches holding Microsoft Surface pads, and maybe we will start hearing audibles like "Blue 22!... Macbook Pro! Macbook Pro!... set.. hike!"
    you're correct, they aren't going to lose any ad money. . . goodell's brilliant idea is to have fewer commercial breaks, but make them even longer. . .

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information