Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: NFL proposes rules changes for 2017 season

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    How does it not reduce the quality of the product? There will be more ties. It's not a big deal and it won't result in an exorbitant number of ties but it is guaranteed to result in more ties. Ties suck. Therefore the quality of the product will go down.

I love the college OT system, I'm probably in the minority on that but it is a lot more fun to watch IMHO.
    The end result doesn't change the quality of the football that was played. If it was a good, competitive game, a tie doesn't make that not true.

As for there being more ties, I don't know that that's necessarily the case either. As the author of the one article said, teams will just start playing more aggressively earlier, and you'll still probably see the result swing one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The end result doesn't change the quality of the football that was played. If it was a good, competitive game, a tie doesn't make that not true.

As for there being more ties, I don't know that that's necessarily the case either. As the author of the one article said, teams will just start playing more aggressively earlier, and you'll still probably see the result swing one way or the other.
    Yeah but the last few ties that ive seen resulted in teams packing it in and actually going for the tie when the clock hit about 5 minutes. Nobody wanted to do anything to lose the game at that point since a tie is better than a L when it comes down to playoff tie breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    How does it not reduce the quality of the product? There will be more ties. It's not a big deal and it won't result in an exorbitant number of ties but it is guaranteed to result in more ties. Ties suck. Therefore the quality of the product will go down.

I love the college OT system, I'm probably in the minority on that but it is a lot more fun to watch IMHO.
    I would love to see the league adopt the college OT system. It would be must see tv. There's no need to protect the sacred cow. Extra points from the 3 were retarded too.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Get off my ******* lawn!
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I would love to see the league adopt the college OT system. It would be must see tv. There's no need to protect the sacred cow. Extra points from the 3 were retarded too.
    This, or just play the whole quarter and eliminate the sudden-death portion of OT. Sudden death breads below average play and aggressiveness.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Get off my ******* lawn!
    Now that's a man worthy of respect!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	af2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	10547

9. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    This, or just play the whole quarter and eliminate the sudden-death portion of OT. Sudden death breads below average play and aggressiveness.
    This is what I've always wanted (except in the playoffs, obviously.) If it's still tied at the end of a single extra period, both teams "earned" a non-loss (just no WIN.) Arbitrarily handing 100% of a very even game to the first team lucky enough to score first was dumb; changing that to "lucky enough to score THIRD UNLESS both teams have had possession OR one got a lucky TD" makes it worse, not better. Dumb>Dumb+complex, because "complex stupidity" is the worst of both worlds.
    Last edited by Joel; 05-27-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

What? Are we still going on about NFL ties? I'm not that opposed to having an NFL dress code. Shows a little class!

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    What? Are we still going on about NFL ties? I'm not that opposed to having an NFL dress code. Shows a little class!
    An NFL dress code? You can't be serious. Coaches dont even want to wear suits on the sidelines or practice. The players who arent playing are usually in team logo gear, so are the coaches.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Let the kickers settle OT with a bareknuckle fistfight
    Cheerleader mud wrestling

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

College OT is good for college, and I love watching the college game. I like the NFL's the way it is, even though the BRONCOS have been on the losing end at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    College OT is good for college, and I love watching the college game. I like the NFL's the way it is, even though the BRONCOS have been on the losing end at times.
    College OT is the answer to the question, "Sure, sudden death OT was arbitrary, but how can we make it MORE arbitrary...?" If regulation ends in a tie, why not have the head ref write down a number between 1 and 100, then whichever QB guesses closest wins? That's equally "fair" (i.e. random.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    College OT is the answer to the question, "Sure, sudden death OT was arbitrary, but how can we make it MORE arbitrary...?" If regulation ends in a tie, why not have the head ref write down a number between 1 and 100, then whichever QB guesses closest wins? That's equally "fair" (i.e. random.)
    But not much fun to watch. If you don't watch college football don't have an opinion on it.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

College OT is fun to watch, but a bit gimmicky. Completely eliminates field position strategy, which is a big part of the game.

20. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    But not much fun to watch. If you don't watch college football don't have an opinion on it.
    I HAVE tried, but its very nature always repulses me: The SECAA puts the "amateur" in "amateur sports." And OT rules are a good example of it getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    College OT is fun to watch, but a bit gimmicky. Completely eliminates field position strategy, which is a big part of the game.
    Last time I recall watching a college game was my first year in Norway, when I was absolutely desperate for SOME kind of football; college nominally (if marginally) qualifies. The whole thing feels very gimmicky to me. People call the SEC college balls best conference as if that's not part and parcel with its self-fulfilling basis.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information