Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: T. Moon's 1,000 recordings to hear before you die

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

83. Jorge Ben, Africa/Brazil (World, Brazil 1976) A

Damn, it's like...finally. All this work and now I get a reward for it. What I mean is that this recording is something I'd never run across in my own musical adventures, but I'm damned glad to do this Tom Moon music-guru (my ass) adventure.

This recording is just pure gold. There is some kind of instrument that I'm not sure what it is, but it's the tastiest sound I've heard in a long time. It's like an organic turntable/whistle/vinyl guitar sounding thing. Love this recording.

Further proof that the ideology of funk spread well beyond America's "chocolate cities," Africa/Brazil represents a rare trifecta: It links the propulsion of African music to fluid Brazilian samba to the party-time outlandishness of mid-'70s Parliament-style funk. And because the tunes are by Jorge Ben, there's pure idealistic sweetness running throughout. Ben is one of Brazil's underappreciated treasures, a prolific composer who came along after the upheavels of tropicálismo, offering gentle and serene melodies that were recorded, with great success, by many of the country's big singing stars.

Africa/Brazil was inspired, at least in part, by touring: When Ben visited Africa in 1975, he met Afrobeat legend Fela Kuti (see p. 436) and jammed with African rhythm masters. Upon returning home, Ben assembled an amazing (and amazingly large) ensemble that included African percussion and a chorus of voices, and built his songs around easygoing open-ended jams or, in the case of the slithering "Ponta de lanca africano," parade beats. The result was a rare melding of polyrhythms and heritage music that was downright radical. Describing it in words reduces what was a profound vision to a chemistry experiment. As music, it instantly makes sense, a union of the ancient and the urbane that could only happen on utopia's dance floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

84. Benedictine Monks, Gregorian Chant (yawn, who cares?) F

For when Ambien won't work.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

85. Tony Bennett-Bill Evans Album (Vocals, 1975) __

Just realized I never listened to this one. Have to circle back. Not a fan of Bennett (I'm not into the crooners), but Evans is a legit jazz pianist.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

86. Alban Berg (composer), Wozzeck (Opera, 1920ish) C

Another surprisingly good opera, this coming from a guy that is not really an opera guy. I like this one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Hawg, I've lost interest in these esoteric meanderings... But I remain heartened by your perseverance. Godspeed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Hawg, I've lost interest in these esoteric meanderings... But I remain heartened by your perseverance. Godspeed.
    Take heart, Buff. There's only 914 left to review.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    And then there was one.

9. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    And then there was one.
    No! I'm here. Just behind for the jazz. Hang in there. I'm trying to get caught up. I got behind when I visited my son.

Go Hawg!
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

They took down the 1000 recordings list webpage. Annoying. Makes it less convenient to do this.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

They took down the 1000 recordings list webpage. Annoying. Makes it less convenient to do this.
    That is a bummer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

9. The Cannonball Adderley Quintet, At the Lighthouse (Jazz, 1960) C

This recording asks little of the listener, which can be a hang-up for the jazz initiate. Exquisite, smooth, tasteful. I really enjoy this one.

Was listening to some Cannonball Adderley tonight in the form of Brian Jones and Mick Jagger.

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Was listening to some Cannonball Adderley tonight in the form of Brian Jones and Mick Jagger.
    Love Cannonball Adderley. His brother is hot too. Heck of a family.

17. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information