Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a pop-up camper

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Beef owns his very own popup tent. But every morning, it folds.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    All are welcome under my tent.

3. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    Looks nice. Did you make your offer sight unseen or have you seen the camper in person yet?
    I inspected both. The 2011 Coachman is now mine. It's in excellent shape, been used 10 times over the 5-6 years it's been around, and the financial aspects of ownership are pleasing as well (new they are 14-17k list price, the next four years the value should stay fairly flat). Looking forward to this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 11 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Really? How big is it?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Man those pop ups look great. Easy to pull right?
    Yeah, 1,600#. Should be no problem even with our Outback.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdriver View Post
    really? How big is it?
    yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I inspected both. The 2011 Coachman is now mine. It's in excellent shape, been used 10 times over the 5-6 years it's been around, and the financial aspects of ownership are pleasing as well (new they are 14-17k list price, the next four years the value should stay fairly flat). Looking forward to this summer.
    I'm looking forward to the invite. And the beer you owe me.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Hawgdriver knows what he's doing. Finding a very clean popup for reasonable money that is relatively close to home isn't easy. The one he's looking at looks perfect. It was only posted 9 days ago so the seller isn't desperate or worried it will sell. $4,800 should do it. If Hawgie gets it for less than that then he is a better man like Joel.
    I usually squeeze blood from stone on these things but I spent extra to avoid uncertainty, $5,100. I offered 3600 for the Aliner. Basically, 5100 is within a band of value that after a few years is entirely reasonable, the unit itself was immaculate, and there is something about getting things settled that is pleasing.

I could have gone lower but the market for these is warming up and the owners had other bidders lined up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Damn, like NTL said, those things got expensive.
    That is true, but the resale market is viable. You can buy at $5k, own for five years, and sell at $4k. $200 a year is a fine rent for such a thing imo.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Yeah, 1,600#. Should be no problem even with our Outback.
    Your family and Chazoe's family should meet up this summer with your campers and hang out. And then at night Chazoe can take out his fishing kayak with rainbow colored LED lights and the two of you can hit the lake with your rods and see what pops up.

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    WTE - as our resident Craigslist buying and selling expert - what negotiation tactics might you suggest for our friend Hawg?
    Hey Buff, check this out..

When the wife and I were in Beijing, we visited all the markets. I argued with a chinese lady for 30 minutes regarding a 4-pack of underwear (or socks?). She started at $5, I started at 0.10c. I got them for 25c.

Craigslist you basically just make an offer and see what sticks. I wanted this transaction to occur with high certainty and sacrificed money to do so. I don't think much though...they got an offer of $4,800 for trade in from the RV dealer (they bought new).

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Your family and Chazoe's family should meet up this summer with your campers and hang out. And then at night Chazoe can take out his fishing kayak with rainbow colored LED lights and the two of you can hit the lake with your rods and see what pops up.
    Sounds great, chaz is a hell of a dude.

When the wife and I were in Beijing, we visited all the markets. I argued with a chinese lady for 30 minutes regarding a 4-pack of underwear (or socks?). She started at $5, I started at 0.10c. I got them for 25c.

Craigslist you basically just make an offer and see what sticks. I wanted this transaction to occur with high certainty and sacrificed money to do so. I don't think much though...they got an offer of $4,800 for trade in from the RV dealer (they bought new).
    How did you pay for it? Cash, check or paypal?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

That's impressive. Did you negotiate in Mandarin?

I've bought and sold quite a few items on CL. I haven't gathered much useful info to pass along when it comes to buying other than to seem legit and available. As far as selling goes - always always create the impression that there is more demand than there actually is. It never fails to motivate the buyer when they think that the item is about to be picked off by someone else.

21. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

WTE

I've been off the Craigslist grid for a while now. I sold a 15 year old washer and dryer this summer for $100.00 that Lowes was going to take for free but that's about it. I haven't bought anything on Craigs in a while.

I did participate in a online auction last Thursday for a furniture store that went out of business and was the winning bidder for two brand new bar stools for $5.00 a piece. They are high end bar stools and are working out perfectly!

23. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information