Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Renck, Broncos Insider: Siemian shoulder surgery needed to get ‘bigger,’ ‘stronger’

Default Troy Renck, Broncos Insider: Siemian shoulder surgery needed to get ‘bigger,’ ‘stronger’

Fascinating article/interview by Denver Post Broncos Insider Troy Renck:

Renck told “The Drive” that he had spoken with the young quarterback, who said everything was going well with the recovery process and was out of the sling.

But more importantly, Renck said Siemian explained that he needed to, in his mind, undergo the “elective” surgery so that he can better protect himself in the future.

“The way Trevor has explained it to me was he needed the surgery, in his mind, so he could lift and get stronger because if he didn’t, then he was always going to be limited in how much he could work out,” Renck said. “You take the risk that you’re going to need some recovery time, but, for him, the big picture of, ‘Hey, I’ve got to be able to get bigger and stronger.’

“Because what is one of the main questions about him? Durability. Well, it’s hard to get more durable if you can’t get stronger.”

Renck said the only reason the recovery would become an issue is if it somehow lasted until training camp, which he said “doesn’t appear to be the case.”

“If he misses April, I really see that as no big deal given his ability to study,” Renck said. “Now, if he’s going to miss everything until training camp, that’s a different animal. But he’s not thinking along those terms right now.”

And, certainly, Paxton Lynch, the team’s first-round draft pick in 2016, could certainly earn an edge up with Siemian out, but not only by virtue of Siemian being.

People, I think, are under the impression that they’re going to just hand Paxton the job. That is not going to happen,” Renck said. “If it’s not Tony Romo, it’s going to be a competition. And Paxton has to take a step forward.”

And in the end, the big picture for Siemian was he didn’t want to continue playing with severe discomfort like he did toward the end of the 2016 season.

“The thing that was revealing was … he admitted he was playing in discomfort until the last three weeks of the season. And, so, I’m sure that played into it,” Renck said, “but you know what (he doesn’t) want to play like that again because he’s compromised. And that’s not right for him. He’s not that type of athlete where he can play compromised.”
    Of course, nobody can tell if either Siemian or Lynch is that long term franchise QB. As of right now, the smart money is on "neither." But, if Siemian turns out to vastly exceed expectations and become the long term answer, he needs to get a LOT healthier, because as of right now, he's in that "injury prone" category. Can't complete a season, either in college or in his first year as a pro.

And you can't win a starting job from the training room! If he gets stronger and becomes more durable it would really help his chances.

Elway is still going to draft another "future franchise QB" in the 2018 draft if Paxton Lynch proves to be a disappointment this year, but as long as he keeps getting better, Siemian has a chance to remain the Broncos starter. And who really cares which QB proves to be that top 10 QB, as long as someone does it for the Broncos!

I should point out that if the reports are true that Siemian had a grade 5 separation in his shoulder that is a very big deal. Doctors who were consulted about that kind of injury told Brandon Stokely that a grade 5 injury is NOT something you normally see in football injuries. Normally, that kind of injury is the result of a car crash! More severe than any normal football injury. Not good.

Healing time for a grade 5 shoulder injury = 4 to 6 months. Trevor might think he's ahead of schedule, blah, blah, blah. We've heard all that before. But, it's not quite as simple as he's making it out to be to just get back on the field.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Didn't you already create a thread about this?

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Didn't you already create a thread about this?
    No. This is a new news story about Renck's interview with Trevor providing his inside view about his elective surgery. The news angle is about Trevor's viewpoint which I think is interesting. We don't normally get the player's candid assessment of his development. Trevor was unusually candid in that interview. Very unusual and pretty compelling story line in my view.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Bionic Trevor 2017! Let's make it happen, Cugel.

7. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Still could of merged this with the other thread you made. I dont think you need 20 threads on Siemian's health whether its his POV or someone else's.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I had a grade 3 AC separation which was a complete tear of one of the AC ligaments that stabilize the shoulder joint complex. I can only imagine how badly Siemian ****** up his shoulder...and what a hoss to get back on the job a few weeks later. Tough ass dude. I think he'll start in this league if he can stay healthy--with that mental toughness and drive and desire to overcome adversity?? I'm in. Not saying he's any kind of next big thing, but I'm in. People like that, I have their backs.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Right now Siemian just kind fo reminds me of Griese which is both bad and good. I remember watching Griese hurt himself vs the Raiders but keeping playing through it which was admirable. Problem was i think it hurt him in the long run and then he fizzled out as a QB.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I wouldn't really define surgery for a grade 5 separation "elective".

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I had a grade 3 AC separation which was a complete tear of one of the AC ligaments that stabilize the shoulder joint complex. I can only imagine how badly Siemian ****** up his shoulder...and what a hoss to get back on the job a few weeks later. Tough ass dude. I think he'll start in this league if he can stay healthy--with that mental toughness and drive and desire to overcome adversity?? I'm in. Not saying he's any kind of next big thing, but I'm in. People like that, I have their backs.
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Siemian but he definitely showed toughness playing on a grade 5 separation. That's impressive.

17. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Siemian but he definitely showed toughness playing on a grade 5 separation. That's impressive.
    He's a legend of tomorrow that we are lucky enough to have today

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    It blows my mind that there are Bronco fans who want to see more of him.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    It blows my mind that there are Bronco fans who want to see more of him.
    I laughed.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

23. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    He's not the hero we deserve but the one we need.

25. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Of course, nobody can tell if either Siemian or Lynch is that long term franchise QB. As of right now, the smart money is on "neither."
    What does this mean? How, besides your opinion, is the "smart" money on neither?
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information